AppleCare+ replacement phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Traderalways, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Traderalways macrumors member

Will they get me up and running with AT&T before I leave?? Or do i have to go to an AT&T store to get activated??

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Your question needs more detail. What does this have to do with AppleCare+?

3. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Lol...after apple store exchanges iPhone 5 will they activate me back to AT&T or do I then have to take replacement to AT&T corporate store?? I've never done an exchange before.

4. Birdmanrsx macrumors newbie

You pop your sim into the new deivce from your old device, and you are done.

5. BuickGS67 macrumors newbie

Apple will help you to activate your new phone before you leave the Apple store if you want them to. Otherwise, you can activate it using iTunes.

6. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

My iPhone went for a swim... So I hope they would give me a new sim card??

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

The SIM card is waterproof, so you can use the same one. It will take just a minute or two to activate the phone. You will probably want to use the store WiFi to do it, so you will most likely stay until the phone is activated with AT&T.

(After some research my waterproof claim might not be 100%. Just going by what the AT&T store guy told me 7 years ago, and what worked for me at the time)

8. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

If you are expecting to recycle your old phone to use towards purchasing the new one, don't get your hopes up. The very first thing they will do is check the external water sensors to see if the phone has ever gotten wet, if it gas, it may be worthless as a trade in for a recycling refund.

Google iPhone water sensor for more....

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

He has AppleCare+, as per his topic..he's not looking to recycle it, he gets a brand new phone for like $60, since he has AppleCare+.

10. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

What?? I Want to pay 79 dollars AppleCare+ and have them give me an iPhone 5.... Which I hope they will activate in the store for me with a new sim card

11. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Unless you just (I believe the cut off was 9/10/2013) bought your iPhone 5 with AC+, you're grandfathered to the $49 price. I verified this with Apple when I sold my 5 with AC+. If this wasn't the case, I would've used this as grounds to request a full refund on AC+, since when I bought it it was $49 for accidental damage replacement.

12. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!! I didn't know that... I bought AppleCare+ October 2012... So i should only pay $49??

----------

Does anyone know if they have spare AT&T sim cards to activate??? I don't want to put a sim card in my "new" phone that was submerged in water... Maybe I should just take the sim card out before I go in for the appointment... I'm more than willing to pay for a new sim..

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The cost is $49. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar. You will walk out with a working phone... with AT&T service restored.

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

Is there an AT&T store near you? You can always get a new sim ahead of time for no charge (authorized retailers will charge though, so go to a corporate store).

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Call the Apple store and ask. I don't know if they have spare SIM cards. They may hand you the new phone assuming you will use your current SIM. If they don't have spares you'll have to go to an ATT store with the replacement phone and have them give you a new SIM.

16. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Had to go to att corporate store to get sim after I got replacement iPhone 5... By the way iOS 6 was on the phone