AppleCare Shipping Fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealBigDaddy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. TheRealBigDaddy macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 Decided to give up the ghost Tuesday night. I called AppleCare and they are sending me a new one via the express replacement.

I live in a smaller city, but a city nonetheless. The closest Apple Store is 2.5 hrs (Columbus, OH). The replacement phone was shipped via FedEx and routed through a small city over an hour away by interstate. Apparently Apple requires FedEx to attempt 3 deliveries (I have to sign and show ID) before allowing pickup at a FedEx office. This is where things get interesting.

There is no one home during the day, I cannot get FedEx to even give me a time frame so that someone can just run home and sign for it. The last of those 3 times will be on Monday. They have to try those 3 times before I can even request to pick it up at a FedEx location, but even then I cannot have it routed to the local processing and mailing center. That is right, I live 2 miles away from it but I'll have to drive an hour plus in each direction to go get it.

Is this normal for Apple? I understand they are trying to protect me, but cannot for the life of me understand why it matters where I pick it up if I have to show ID and why they have to try delivering it to my house if I can tell them up front no one will be there. Neither Apple nor FedEx are willing to cooperate.

2. AFDoc, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

How it's routed has nothing to do with the person shipping X item, that is up to FedEx. I also don't see apple having the say on how many attempts need to be made before it can be picked up at the main shipping hub (may be wrong but sounds more like an internal FedEx policy to me).

I can see how it would be ideal for you to be able to drive a mile away and get your "new" phone but I still fail to see how that's apple's fault. Of course if they didn't take all these steps to protect you (apple and fedEx) you would be on here making a thread about how apple and fedEx delivered your phone to a different/wrong address/person. Sounds like you getting a replacement phone is a lose lose proposition for apple and fedEx.

3. willmtaylor, Aug 16, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The whole idea is that you have to sign for it, right? I don't know about FedEx specifically, but some companies allow you to print off and sign a consent form that allows them to leave a "signature required" item at your doorstep. Could this possibly be an option?

Something like this.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They have to try to deliver one time. Since you chose the delivery location they have to try to deliver. I'm sure it's for insurance reasons.

Once they try to deliver and leave a notice on your door you can call or use their website to hold for pickup. The 3 delivery attempts is after they give up and you have a period of time to pick it up yourself. If you don't pick it up it's returned to sender. :mad:

6. TRowe81 macrumors newbie

+1 On the consent form. I have these on file with both FedEx and UPS, as I've had similar issues in the past. As a quick fix, you can also leave a note on your door requesting they leave the package. Just make sure you sign the note.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

They do offer such a paper with the pre-order iPhones, I don't see why this situation should be any different. It's slightly different but is the same idea. It basically lets you pre-sign for the delivery.

8. TheRealBigDaddy, Aug 16, 2012

TheRealBigDaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no consent form I can sign, it was shipped with a request for an in-person direct signature. Someone has to be here to sign for it. The FedEx lady said I'll have to show ID.

The 3 delivery attempts are also required by Apple along with no rerouting (local FedEx office) of the package. I talked to FedEx about picking it up locally and they explained that and that I could call Apple. I called up Apple and was given the same response. It is apparently their policy and they cannot change it. I even talked to a supervisor and they said the same thing. The CSR was very understanding, but dispatch wouldn't do anything.

It seems absurd that even after 3 delivery tries I will have to drive to Cambridge, OH to pick it up when I could stop by their location here in Parkersburg, WV. I explained that no one would be there so why even bother trying to deliver. Yes I appreciate the security somewhat, but there are a hundred ways from Sunday I could verify my identity over the phone sufficiently and i'd still be required to show ID at their office.

----------

Thanks for the completely unhelpful and judgmental post. How is replacing a phone under a warranty I paid for a losing situation for Apple, that is what it is there for? I never asked for lackadaisical controls, just for some reasonable way to get the phone. If I wanted to drive an hour plus each way to get it I would have just went to the Apple store in Columbus.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I had my iPhone replaced by this method a few months ago, and I'm in Dayton. Login to the tracking website on Fedex.com and there should be an option for Hold at Fedex Location to redirect it to a location of your choosing. I've done this with every Fedex package Apple or otherwise since they started allowing it.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This no longer works. At least in my city. It did till they cracked down last year. Now there's no deviation from company & Apple contractual policies.

It's in everyone's best interest.

11. TheRealBigDaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is some of the verbiage off of the FedEx tracking site. I X'd out identifying information.

Shipment Options
    Hold at FedEx Location
    .....Some shipments may not be eligible for this service.

Hold at FedEx Location
    Not all shipments are eligible for this option.

Only the shipper, recipient or payor of the shipping transaction may make a Hold at FedEx Location request.

FedEx does not guarantee that the request can be fulfilled.

If your shipment is eligible, FedEx Ground will attempt to have your shipment available for pickup by the end of the next business day after the estimated delivery date.

Government issued photo I.D. is required for shipment pickup.

Ability to request a Hold at FedEx Location via fedex.com is available for U.S. destined shipments only.

Service type FedEx Ground-Direct Signature Required-U.S.
    FedEx obtains a signature from someone at the delivery address. If no one is at the address, we reattempt delivery.
    Weight 1.0 lbs/.5 kg
    ReferenceD722XXXXX
    Purchase order number 821XXXXX
    Shipment ID 85737XXXXXX
    Invoice number 001XXXXX

----------

I tried that, I get a note that there are no eligible locations and contact Cutomer Service.

I called thinking maybe they suspended holds at the local location due to the major road construction being done right in front of it. The FedEx CSR said that Apple required 3 delivery attempts before they could offer to pick it up at the office and that I would have to pick it up at the office it is being dispatched from as Apple would not allow rerouting even to a closer FedEx office. The only reason I can figure for the package coming from so far away is that it is shipped FedEx Ground while the local office dispatches normal shipments.

I really thought FedEx was on something but I called Apple and they confirmed everything the FedEx rep told me.

12. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Apple dictates to FEDEX how they want their products shipped, which is usually 'Direct Signature" at the original address of shipment. Unfortunately Apple will not deviate from this policy as they have had too many problems.
    What Apple will do is have it delivered on Saturday on request. Fedex usually finishes their Saturday run early as there aren't too many deliveries on Saturday.

13. TheRealBigDaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to a FedEx supervisor and they are trying to be helpful and narrow down a delivery time. Hopefully that works out and they can give us a narrower window than anytime between 8 AM and 6 PM. My wife teaches and she is setting up her classroom for when school starts back next week and she can run home and meet them, she just cannot be here all day.

----------

Would I have to call Apple for that? Hopefully we will be able to have it worked out for tomorrowbut no guarantees. FedEx told me that if it isn't delivered tomorrow it would be back out on Monday, but that is when my wife really is working, not for free like tomorrow, and she won't be able to run home.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

FedEx can be a pain in the rear and they can also be great to work with. When I ordered my MBP my wife was home when it was supposed to be delivered. Well, she was working third and didn't hear the door bell. I was checking the tracking and saw the delivery was missed. I called FedEx and the driver gave me a call. I work a job that is very unpredictable one minute to the next. We exchanged calls a few times and I was finally able to meet him at a local McDonalds. He was actually pretty happy about since it helps out his stats for a higher delivery percentage. This was on a Saturday no less.

15. Macman45, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In the UK Apple use UPS for all deliveries and FedEX for collections. There is no self-sign option, so you have to be there to get your package.

Having said that...I know what time my UPS driver is in the area...His route never varies, even during the ipad3 chaos when they had to hire extra trucks, he is always here between 10 and 11:30 AM. Years ago he asked me for ID, now he knows me, it's just the signature he needs, but it's electronic, not paper (he has a hand held data device)

Apple are the ones who dictate the 3 strikes and you're out (sorry, no pun intended) policy. It's to avoid items going all the way back to them. System works pretty well, and there is always the option of a weekend delivery if you are prepared to pay the extra for it.

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You do have a resonable way to get the phone. Go pick it up like the rules that have been in place before your situation dictates. The reason it's a lose lose is it seems they are doing nothing right. Apple lived up to it's end of the contract you had by replaceing your phone. FedEx is living up to it's end of the business arrangement by shipping the phone for a fee. Seems like you're the one with the issues, not apple or fedEx. Sorry you feel this is judgmental but seems you don't like to play by the same shipping rules every one else does.

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm still trying to understand how this is a "applecare fail" because the OP doesn't live close to the FedEx facility, and is unable to be at home address for delivery.

Is this a classic example of how we like to blame others for our own failures?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"Neither Apple nor FedEx are willing to cooperate."

I think it is you who is unwilling to cooperate. You're unwilling to be home for the delivery, you're unwilling to wait until the third delivery attempt, you're unwilling to understand policy and the reasons this policy is in place, and you're saying this is a failure on Apple's part when it is truly a failure on your part. If you need to have something delivered then you need to be home. It sucks, I understand, but you honestly don't know what time FedEx usually winds up in your area?

19. ToxicNirvana macrumors newbie

Have you thought of possibly having it delivered to your job that way you could still sign and show ID for it? It's worked for me in the past.

20. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

So explain to me how requiring 3 delivery attempts before allowing pickup at their facility is helping to reduce possible theft?

Not allowing reroute I can see. Requiring 3 attempts I cannot see the the value of.

21. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Because than it is delivered at the given address. Even if a stranger at this address accepts the package, FedEx has dealt with it. They could say: "We delivered it at the address you gave us."

If you pick it up yourself, there's a bigger risk that a stranger picks it up and that means extra costs for FedEx.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3 delivery attempts is not, I don't think I implied that but if that is how you read it then sorry. Requiring him to be home is helping security. Him deciding that a company is failing on account of his inability to remain at home for a day or have someone there on his behalf is inane. Not being able to be home is fine but calling fail on a company is not ... to put it another way.

23. 617aircav Suspended

Op this is FedEx policy and not apple. You could call FedEx and they will hold it for you at a facility like kinko's. They can't really narrow down delivery times as they are estimates. This has nothing to do with apple care.

24. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

No. 3 unsuccessful attempts and he can pick it up at the FedEx facility.

----------

Agreed.

----------

That is the issue. They won't do that until after 3 delivery attempts.

25. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I know - all I'm saying is that they prefer to deliver it at the assigned address, because that means less problems for them if a stranger gets the package.