AppleCare+, SquareTrade, or neither? - iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lizzie., Sep 23, 2012.

1. Lizzie. macrumors member

Lizzie.

Do you think it is a good idea to add an insurance to the iPhone 5?

I currently have a white 64gb and have been debating whether to add AppleCare+, SquareTrade, or something else. Is it worth it? Do you have an insurance?

Main difference(s) between SquareTrade and AppleCare+? Experience from users would be helpful.

http://www.squaretrade.com/iphone-landing24?ccode=bs_war_vc_090:HPother

The last time I had insurance, it was for my iPhone 4 (normal AppleCare) and I never used it.

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Well I have the Applecare on my 4s, and yes I did use it one time, so I did get one replacement for $99 + $49= $148, instead of the $199 that Apple charges for no warranty replacement. But, chances are you're only taking a $199- $148=$51 risk that you'll have to replace it once during the 2 years, and giving Apple $99 up front. Of course if you replace it twice then there's more savings, but that's probably not typical unless you're prone to accidents.

So I say that most people are probably better off just betting that nothing will happen, and then just paying the $199 if something does happen. If something does happen, it's only $51 more than if you had purchased Applecare plus paid the $49 deductible for the accident.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There were two active message threads discussing exactly this a few hours ago. Scroll down the page and join those threads.

4. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I will just say that I sold my iPhone 4 today in a matter of minutes on Craigslist because my listing included the balance (5 months) of Applecare and other listings (there were a LOT of listings, as you can imagine with so many upgrading to 5) had no insurance. If you might sell your 5 at some point then this is at least one point in the "pro" column.