AppleCare +UK, Leather cases and Storage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave245, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Dave245 macrumors 601

So my plan is to buy the iPhone 5S as soon as it becomes available online here in the UK. I'm currently deciding a couple of things so that I'm ready to just click the buttons when orders go live. I have a couple of questions -

1. Is it worth getting the AppleCare + for the £79 they charge here in the Uk?
    2. Also does anyone think the leather cases for the 5S will be worth it?

I'm also contemplating getting the 32GB rather than the 16GB.

2. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

32gb - agree

AppleCare - not for me. They also charge an extra fee for accidental damage, versus an out-of-warranty repair fee if you don't have AppleCare.. Plus, some home insurance policies cover mobiles..

Cases - I like the leather look and design, but none of the colours that apple are doing. I'm hoping a case-maker gets in there soon with colourful copies...

3. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Ok so you don't think it's worth it? The thing is because I'm a univeristy student I can get the normal AppleCare at a discounted price of about £48.

4. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

It's like any insurance policy.. You weigh up the costs, versus the risk of needing to use it, and the costs of not having it...

5. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Ok thanks, I haven't had one before, think I might save the £79 and put it towards a nice case :D

6. chrisaster macrumors regular

So £79 ( or £48 if you're a student? ) and you get a cover for two accidental damages?

Not too bad IMO ... unless i'm missing something?

7. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

From what's understand it is £79 for AppleCare + which includes 2 accident repairs which cost £55 excess fee. This is different from the standard AppleCare which of offered to people like me who are students at a reduced rate (£48)

8. chrisaster macrumors regular

So if you had you're phone for a whole year then smashed it ... you could get a new one for £55? ( after you initially paid the £79? )

9. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I dont know if its a new one or if they repair the phone, so if you drop it and smash the screen they will probably fit a new screen. And yes as far as i know you pay £55 fee per accident (with a limit of 2)

10. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Yup, £79 + £55 (up to twice)

Alternatively, if you don't have AppleCare, the ' Out of Warranty' service is
    iphone 5 - £216.44
    4S - £146.44

..where in the past, they just gave you a refurbished phone from their cupboard!

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Last 2 phones were 32g, but honestly I don't feel it's big enough anymore. I will get the 64g next time, but not until the 6 comes out. For those that can get by on 16g must have a very small music/photo/app collection.

12. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

The last iPhone i had was a 4S and it was a 16GB. The reason i'm thinking about the 32GB is because i have a music in iTunes thats 4GB, photos and apps so it would not leave much room.

13. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

• I think the 32GB is the best storage/price compromise.
    • The AppleCare+ is probably overkill if you have some other kind of insurance and/or are very careful with objects that cost £500+
    • The leather cases look nice and should hopefully fit perfectly… which will help with the second point somewhat, protecting the iPhone within! Apple's accessories are always excellent quality and well-constructed.

14. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

You have a point there, in the past I have had the iPhone 3GS and 4S, the only problem I had with one was the power button getting stuck. I tend to be very careful with my phone and iPad. I take them with me to uni and use the iphone on the bus for my music.