Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AppleCare+ Unfair coverage loss.

Hallstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Ordered my S6 AW on 15/09 and purchased AppleCare+ with order.

Have received an email today to confirm ‘proof of coverage’ but am disheartened to note that the end date is two years from the date of purchase, but my watch is not due to be delivered until 13 days after purchase date.

So first Apple remove the charger plug, and now they skim coverage time from the consumer!

Has anyone else lost any coverage like this?

ukms

Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Ordered my S6 AW on 15/09 and purchased AppleCare+ with order.

Have received an email today to confirm ‘proof of coverage’ but am disheartened to note that the end date is two years from the date of purchase, but my watch is not due to be delivered until 13 days after purchase date.

So first Apple remove the charger plug, and now they skim coverage time from the consumer!

Has anyone else lost any coverage like this?

it’s always been like this but I’m sure if you had a valid claim in the last 13 days of the policy it would be honoured providing you retain proof of delivery.

would be difficult for Apple to administer any other way.

Reactions: eagleglen

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
The lesson is to only buy AppleCare once you physically receive your product. I’ve only ever bought it once - for my current iPhone - and I didn’t know this happened. I now know I shouldn’t buy it for a preorder item. I wonder if you’re eligible to cancel your cover, then re-buy it next week

Reactions: dohspc

Hallstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
It has always been from the date of purchase. A few days difference isn’t that big a deal is it? And since you are in the UK, you have even better buyer protection than we do in the U.S.

I know it’s only a few days, but it’s the principle.

Hallstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
it’s always been like this but I’m sure if you had a valid claim in the last 13 days of the policy it would be honoured providing you retain proof of delivery.

would be difficult for Apple to administer any other way.

Very true. I keep hold of such screenshots should I ever need them.

I am aware from past experience that Apple are able to automate from UPS systems. (I had a faulty Magic Keyboard collected and a new one was dispatched upon UPS guy scanning the one he collected from me.)

ukms

Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
The lesson is to only buy AppleCare once you physically receive your product. I’ve only ever bought it once - for my current iPhone - and I didn’t know this happened. I now know I shouldn’t buy it for a preorder item. I wonder if you’re eligible to cancel your cover, then re-buy it next week

great idea until you drop the item before you get the chance to call Apple. :)

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Have you talked to Apple support to get the date adjusted?

Did they refuse?

Until those two things occur, you’re a bit premature with the complaining, IMHO.

Reactions: Ntombi and ukms

Hallstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Have you talked to Apple support to get the date adjusted?

Did they refuse?

Until those two things occur, you’re a bit premature with the complaining, IMHO.

I haven’t made a complaint though. I have identified a potential concern that may effect many.

I will raise this with Apple though.

Ariaizadi

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Just to share my experience with AppleCare. Few years ago my MacBook screen had a green line going down it after being dropping on the floor. I only had the initial year of AppleCare, but the Genius Bar guy made a note of something which ended up making it an internal issue and saving me just over $500. They appear to have discretion and will work with you if an issue arises.

Reactions: BorgCube

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I haven’t made a complaint though. I have identified a potential concern that may effect many.

I will raise this with Apple though.

Okay.

Just seemed like “So first Apple remove the charger plug, and now they skim coverage time from the consumer!“ was a complaint.

Best of luck. Apple Support quickly and easily updated coverage dates for me when I bought an open box iPad from BestBuy a while back. I wasn’t expecting they would, but figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Reactions: BorgCube and ukms

Hobbsee

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
In my experience, this date is preliminary.
It should change the day after you actually activate it.

I just checked this with my new series 6, where the original email said it expired on September 17, 2022. Having just received the watch yesterday, my coverage online shows that it has automatically updated to the 22nd, which is correct.

Shadowbech

macrumors 604
Oct 18, 2011
It will readjust eventually. I purchased AppleCare + for my iPhone 11 Pro Max 59 days after I have purchased it (launch day). So it whole have showed sometime in November. But I just checked and it expires 9/23/2021. It always does that, when you purchase AppleCare plus coverage, prelim, it will give you 1 year from that date of purchase of the AppleCare Plus but it will readjust to the actual expiration or when the device as activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.