applecare void question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hpye, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Hpye, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

Hpye macrumors 6502

Hi

I have two questions
    1) If i unlock my locked 4s will it void my applecare plus warranty?
    2) if apple notice that my phone was unlock, can i factory reset it to lock it back?

PS. I AM NOT JAILBREAKING, Just unlocking so that i can use my phone abroad (in thailand for vacation)

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

No and why would you need to? Apple doesn't care that your phone is officially unlocked. Heck, they don't care if it's unlocked by JB..... of course that opens another can of worms but that's for another thread.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

No getting your iPhone unlocked officially (IE not jailbreaking) is not going to void your warranty.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unlocking your iPhone does not void your warranty because the only party that can officially unlock your iPhone is Apple. Even if you contact your SP for the unlock, they send a request to Apple for the procedure to the completed.

5. Hpye thread starter macrumors 6502

no, i am not unlocking it in apple store because i am already in thailand. i am unlocking it in thailand.(third party shop) (.and there are no apple stores,.) but the result will be the same(unlock phone) . Will apple notice that i unlock it by the third party?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If Apple is not doing the unlocking than it's not official. If you have a problem with your device you would need to restore it before going to Apple for support.

Also I would think third-party means jailbreaking unlock or a SIM interface adapter.

7. Hpye thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Hpye thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i am very noob in this area..So i will need to tweak my software to unlock it right.. I Really dont want to jailbreak my iphone..
    however can i just buy the sim interface adaptor to unlock it?

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Well you don't need to worry about a jb because 4s can't be jb at this time. As far as sim unlock dealy just restore if you need to take it into apple store. Do it and don't worry about it.

My question wasn't why you would want to unlock it, it was why would you need to restore it IF you had official unlock. However you want to UL unofficially so it would prob be a good idea to restore to not get the geeks I mean genius's (lol yeah right) panties in a wad. They WILL however replace a jailbroken iPhone because I have done it. Takes a bit of doing and getting upset (while keeping things cool) for them to do it.

You just need to make them understand the fact that the software changes have nothing to do with the hardware letting dust under the glass of a 2 month old 3gs!

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There is no unofficial unlock for the 4S. Period.