Applecare vs. Amex Warranty vs Inland Marine Insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jms999, Aug 31, 2014.

1. jms999 macrumors newbie

So I am curious about this from people on all sides. I know that the Macbook Pro will come with 1 year of Apple Care standard with my purchase. For $239 I can add another 2 years of Apple Care.

With an American Express card I would get another year of warranty added on at 0 cost.

Inland Marine Insurance which I have seen recommended on here and other places will run less than $50 a year and cover ANYTHING with zero deductible, I have already checked into it, and it seems to good to be true but apparently it really is legit. Apple Care and Amex only cover manufacturers defects so its a no brainer to get the added insurance for a $2k piece of electronic equipment that will cover anything including accidental damage, loss, etc.

I am curious about whether or not AppleCare is worth it when getting the Amex Warranty.

Im not sure if Amex would add on a 4th year of coverage, Id have to look further into that unless someone here has experience with that. But for sure it doubles the manufactures warranty so that would be 2 years for sure. Granted if something goes wrong Id have to take it to the Apple store, get a quote and have them fix it and pay upfront. However, I know from experience and have seen many others say that same thing, Amex is the best credit card company when dealing with warranty extender and they just pay up without all sorts of hassles.

Ive also seen other people mention that Applecare isn't worth it and to get a 3rd party protection plan. That worries me though. At least with Apple you can go right to the store that day and get it done vs. sending it back.

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sorry to be late to this thread.

Another option is to get Applecare, but at a discount through http://www.bhphotovideo.com

That's what I did, with no problems and very quick service. And yes, it's real Applecare, fully registered with Apple and qualifying you for all the great service and support that you expect.

3. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

One nice feature of AppleCare is that it entitles you to no-charge technical support. I have used this many times over the years for iMacs, iPads and an iPhone. AppleCare tech support was very helpful for various issues such as Mail app problems, IOS or OS X update problems, questions about using IOS or OS X features and other topics.

For me, the AppleCare tech support is a service worth the price, used often, and the warranty part is just an added bonus.

4. HBP macrumors member

AMEX won't extend it to 4 years (i.e. 1 year post 3 year-Applecare). Only extends to 2.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

AppleCare is worth it for one main reason - if you have a recurring issue/multiple repairs, Apple can replace your machine under AppleCare. I doubt Amex would ever do that.

6. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

they dont have it for the iphone.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's too bad. Good group.

But the OP was talking about a laptop anyway. Advice still stands, then.

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a