AppleCare+ vs. other insurance options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 14, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

AppleCare+ looks like a pretty good deal for $100 but I noticed it doesn't cover theft/loss. Will most of you purchase it anyway or is there a better solution (either carrier or 3rd party insurance) to cover the device? What will you guys be using?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not clear on their site but it seems they don't cover loss or theft either. If that's the case it's the exact same price and exact same deductible as AppleCare+. I don't understand the benefit of SquareTrade.

4. meganator macrumors member

Is AT&T offering their regular phone insurance? I'm pretty sure it covers loss/theft

5. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I was just looking at their site. Seems like it's $6.99/mth and then most likely a $199 deductible but it does cover loss/theft. I think this is what I'll purchase.

www.att.com/mobileinsurance

6. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I don't get the value of AppleCare+

If I'm not mistaken its $100 with a $50 deductible...

With NO insurance can't you get a replacement refurb for $199 at the Apple Store?

So you spend $100 to MAYBE save $50.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Same insurance is $9.99 a month with the big red devil:mad:

8. phillyred79 macrumors regular

I got the 2yr Black Tie protection from Best Buy on my iPhone 4S last year. $200, but worth it to me because I don't like using cases on my iPhone and I have dropped it 3x this past year resulting in some screen cracks. Take it to BB, they give you a loaner and in 3 days you get a shiny new iPhone. It's a "refurb" but the glass and externals are all cosmetically flawless. AppleCare is $100 + $49 each time you need a replacement- so for me it was worth going the BB route. And, since I'm getting the iPhone 5 I am transferring my remaining warranty from the 4S. Even if you initially buy AppleCare you can get a full refund from Apple within 30 days and take your iPhone to BB and have them put the Black Tie protection plan on.

Cons-
    $50 deposit, refunded when you pick up your phone
    You have to wait 2-3 days for your "new" iPhone
    You usually get some type of Android phone as a loaner (although I got a 3GS this last time)

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

SquareTrade offers more than apple care. Neither cover loss or theft.

10. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Thats only for a year, Applecare covers the device for the length of the contract. Piece of mind for 2 yrs

11. meganator macrumors member

Hmm for 6.99 I'll probably do both AppleCare and AT&T insurance. That way I can use the $50 AppleCare deductible for most things but if it gets lost or stolen I'm not completely screwed.

12. omyard macrumors regular