AppleCare+ VS SquareTrade for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JLEW700, Sep 23, 2012.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Which is the better protection plan between the new AppleCare+ and SquareTrade for the iPhone 5?

AppleCare+ is $99 for 2 years
    SquareTrade is $94 for 2 years

Both cover normal wear and tear as well as accidental damage caused by spills or drops.

Both charge $50 to replace an iPhone but Apple has a limit of 2, I dont know if SquareTrade has a limit.

Based on these factors Im leaning towards AppleCare+ since its only $5 more and I can just walk into any Apple store but I need to know if I'm missing anything that would make SquareTrade substantially better.

2. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Square trade is 4 incidents so if you're planning on dropping yours a lot then you should go with square trade.

If you use square trade you can still go to the Genius Bar but you have to pay them first and then have square trade reimburse you.

One thing to note is that apple geniuses seems to be nicer to me when I walk in to service a device that has AppleCare+ and for that reason I'm going with AC+

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Neither cover lost or stolen devices so I wouldn't purchase either. I'm going with AT&T insurance. A little more expensive but allows me to replace a lost phone for $199 deductible.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I went with AppleCare+. Just letting you know that AppleCare+ doesn't allow replacements for normal wear & tear. The phone has to be broken to get the replacement.

Only thing I've read about SquareTrade is that the total value allowed on the plan is the overall cost on the phone. So if you have 1 incident and it costs $350 for them to fix....then you have $350 less of total coverage. Don't quote me on this....but it's what people have said.

That plan to me seems good ONLY for if you lose your phone. Otherwise....you are paying what $6.99/month and then have a $199 deductible each time? An out of warranty iPhone 5 can be replaced at Apple for $229.....of course this doesn't help if you lose the phone.

-Kevin

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This is the 3rd NEW message thread about insurance today.

Is it that hard to read and add to existing discussions?