Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhizKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2003
I'm ordering a 12" powerbook today for school, but even w/ the educational discount, the applecare is a little pricey, and I can put that money into some accessories. Is the Applecare extended warranty worth purchasing along the line? Or, like some say, will all my hardware problems be worked out by the end of my first year? Thanks.

-Robert

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I would say yes. I just got a Powerbook for school myself and although it's built well, if anything ever did happen to it I'd potentionally be out hundreds of dollars without applecare.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
I can't say much for AppleCare itself (I'm still waiting for new updates to get my PowerBook!!!), but as a soon-to-be third-year in college and owner of a Dell Inspiron laptop, I can tell you that buying an extended warranty is a VERY good idea. I lug my laptop to class everyday and use it extensively for taking notes; as a result, my Dell's enclosure now has two cracks and a missing key, as well slight scratches on the display. I bought an extended 3-year warranty on my Dell, and after a few minutes with tech support, they offered to repair all the nastiness of my laptop for free. Granted, Apple's notebooks might be a bit more rugged, but any laptop that's used in college will take a beating, and it's good to have a warranty to back it up.

Plus, a recent PC Magazine article rated Dell's and Apple's service/support as the highest, so if Apple's is anything as good as Dell's, I say its a good buy.

WhizKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2003
Wow, I should have done a search myself on this board. Thanks all for the help.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Also remeber that you have a year form the date of purchase to get the applecare. I am planning on getting accesories now and applecare after 8 or 9 months.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I think will as well I am off you university and I probably get it.

I would be better if it included accidental damage, it makes sense on laptops. Nevermind if anything goes wrong I couldn't afford to fix it so it's a must for me.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yes, you can wait to get AppleCare, up to a year. But after 90 days, you have to pay for phone support, so I'd get it within 3 months if you're going to need it.

It's cheaper for students, and pretty cheap at MacSolutions. Better to buy regular insurance if you're going to be rough on it, but AppleCare is great if mechanical or software problems come up.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
On my iBook, 1 problem, 3 new logic boards, Other problem with power, new power adapter and new battery and new logic board. New keyboard (broken after repair from apple) and one other dead power adapter. Applecare covered/replaced all of this. I think I was just one of the unlucky few who got a lemon and had the mobo problem. Right now a brand new computer is on its way.....

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Applecare is worth it

my Ti Book history:

2 LCD screens

3 Logic Boards

2 new casings

They very kindly replaced it after it went in a fifth time

macsolutions has good Applecare prices (and no sales tax outside of California!)

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I've noticed Apple seems to be nicer to you if you have AppleCare. If they know you've spent the money to protect your computer, they will be happy to help you if something goes wrong.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
AppleCare and Education

Apple seems to really take care of their education customers, as they will fix many things free that they might not otherwise. For example, my iBook showed visible trauma (hinge bent) from when I indavertently dropped it on the floor. I sent it in on an unrelated issue and they fixed the hinge as well. If you're a student with a laptop, AppleCare is a must. You might as well wait to get it though. Just don't let the 1 year run out.

amandine

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2003
applecare

First off I have no experience with AppleCare... I'm planning on buying it for my powerbook when I go back to school. However, I don't know why Apple won any awards for service - it took over an hour to find their phone number, and though my comp was under warranty and it was a part problem (not user idiocy) I see no reason why I should pay FIFTY DOLLARS PER CALL to customer support. That's ridiculous. I paid them over four grand for my systems, I think I paid enough to get them to answer a question.

That being said, for the first year I was able to take things to my local compUSA with the receipt showing it was bought in the last 12 months, and they fixed free of charge! I bought mine at the Apple Edu Store too, not at CompUSA.

Needless to say, I love my macs, but I think having to pay for Apple to fix THEIR DEFECTIVE PRODUCT is ridiculous. Thankfully this has only been a problem once, but at the time I was so frustrated I was ready to dump all my stuff on CompUSA's counter and tell them to keep it :B

Anyway, purchase apple care, but pay as little for it as you can. :p

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
I certainly haven't seen apple's books, but I would bet that the price of an apple care contract is calculated so that it is a money-making venture for apple, as it is with most extended-warranty plans. The vast majority of purchased warranties never get used.

If you can afford to pay for any serious repairs that might come up (in cash not credit card), then you would likely be better off assuming the risk yourself and betting that over the long run, the money you save in warranties will outweigh the catastrophic motherboard failure you might get stuck with.

If you can't afford to assume the risk, or if you value peace of mind over a few hundred dollars in savings over the span of several years, then it is definitly worth it.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: applecare

Originally posted by amandine
I see no reason why I should pay FIFTY DOLLARS PER CALL to customer support. That's ridiculous. I paid them over four grand for my systems, I think I paid enough to get them to answer a question.

if you are within your first year but outside of the 90 day free phone support, you won't be charged with the $45 fee if the problem is really hardware related and fault of apple's. apple asks for the credit card info and charges the fee if it turns out the problem is caused by the user and/or non-apple softwares/hardwares.

it's still a little sucky, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
a few weeks ago, i got a call by some guy from apple. he was trying to convince me to get applecare, because there's only a week and a half left on my iMac warrenty. so after he told me why i should buy it, i told him that i probably would, but i just had to get some money together for it. he asked if i was a student, and when i said yes, he said that he would take $50 off the price, bringing it down to $119. he left me his number, and i think i'll call him back and take him up on it, but has anyone else had this happen?

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
Its a nice discount, but he's not really doing anything special for you - I think that is just the going educational price for imac applecare.

aggro

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2003
Chicago
WELL WORTH IT!

My comp history:

Mac G3:
Processor replaced 5 times.
Logic board replaced 2 times.

Dual 800 G4 Quicksilver:

EVERY component replaced in the system 9 times.

All had Apple Care Protection, and the dualie was replaced with a dual gig for the trouble I went through.

I'd have to say that if I did not have Apple Care, I would have been screwed because by the time I got the dual 800 replaced, it was well past the year Apple allocates to you.

I would have had to pay out of pocket 4 times for every component in the system, THAT would have been a hell of a lot more expensive than the $250.00 I paid for Apple Care.

Take it for what it's worth, but the Apple Care is WELL worth it.

cheers,
iK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.