Applecare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Do Apple wipe your devices when you send or take it in and get a replacement? Can the next person who gets it recover your texts, contacts etc.

2. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Best thing, bring it in already restored to new.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

^^^ This.

But, if you don't, the Genius will probably ask you to backup and then delete all your data. At least that's what I was instructed to do when I got a replacement.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before you agree to a replacement, do a full erase and restore. The Genius may mention it and ask you to do this, but even if they don't don't give it up until you wipe it.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Purchased refurbs start with F. Service part refurbs have the same M model number.

Genius bar devices can be new or remanufactured - it's a mix - if they can refurb enough phones, they'll use them, if not, they'll supply new ones. The only way of telling is via the serial number. Apple's refurbs, however, have a new battery and outer casing.

With regard to the data - everything on the iPhone (since the 3GS) is encrypted. The first part of the restore process is simply deleting the encryption keys. No encryption keys = getting no data back.

7. Samtb, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. And I'm curious, why do the the iphone replacements come in presentation boxes with iphone written on it, whilst other apple product replacements just come by itself.

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I read on another thread if it starts with 5K, it's a refurb.

9. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Same with me. It's not a big deal if you don't do it before hand.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

That works for the 4 and below, not for the 4S/5. And even then, some 4 refurbs start QR.