AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave245, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

With the iPhone 6 release just around the corner (all but confirmed). I have been thinking about getting AppleCare+ for the iPhone 6. I have never had AppleCare+ before, mainly because i'm a UK student, and it's only been available over here from last year i think. I'm usually very careful with my devices, however with the iPhone 6, rumoured to be having bigger screens (maybe 4.7" and 5.5") i was thinking that this would increase the risk of dropping and breaking.

However i have noticed that through the (UK) HE Student Apple website, the option for AppleCare+ is not there, yet on the normal Apple.co.uk site it's listed :confused:

Is AppleCare+ worth it? what do you guys think?

2. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

I think so. Apple Care allows you to have one more year insurance than original one or without Apple Care. You can get a new phone for shattered screen, any software or any hardware issue or any reason that prevents your phone to work properly, unless you've lost it. Apple Care is not available for losing.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Do a forum search on it, as these threads become quite prolific every year around this time.

Bottom line: it's worth it if you need to use it, but it's not if you don't. Some would rather have the peace of mind. Others would rather just eat the cost of replacing instead of gambling whether or not you might utilize the money you're already out. Depends on each individual.

4. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Buy Applecare off ebay, it's way cheaper - the same as buying a US Macbook Pro for £200+ cheaper. Make sure the Applecare works in the UK or is Worldwide though (as iPhone warranty isn't worldwide by default unlike Macbook warranties).

5. iOz macrumors regular

AppleCare + is not available on eBay

6. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

This is an incredibly subjective issue. Your iPhone comes with the basic AppleCare coverage - a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty includes 90 days of phone support (call Apple for assistance with issues/questions).

The AppleCare+ (PLUS) coverage extends the coverage (including the telephone support) for a full 2 years, and also covers accidental damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $99. The catch is that typically, an "in warranty" replacement due to physical damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $269. The AppleCare+ will allow you to replace your device TWICE in the coverage period for $79 per incident.

AppleCare+ is typically purchased at the same time that the device is purchased, however Apple will allow you to buy it within the first 30 days. If you do buy it after the fact, they may require a physical inspection of your device before activating the coverage and/or may require you to activate a remote diagnostic report on the phone as well.

Neither plan covers loss/theft of your device.

So the question becomes one of "how clumsy are you?" If you tend to be accident prone and drop your phone a lot, it may be a good investment for you. It means that for $260 ($99 + $79 + $79), you can replace your phone twice for about the standard charge of replacing your phone once. If you buy it and never use it, then you have wasted the $99 price of the coverage...

Bottom line: Some buy it, some don’t. How accident prone are you?

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I think that a lot of people tend to see AC+ in light of physical damage. Those that are "careful" with their phones use other forms of insurance or do without.

But there are a couple of other sides to consider. I got AC+ because I cannot trust OTHERS around me. I'm careful with my phone but there is at least one person at work who is a walking trainwreck and has damaged the stuff on my desk because of her carelessness. I can only control my own actions – not hers. This is why car insurance is required. To protect you from others.

Secondly, you have to consider defects. I just got my second iPhone 5 replacement in my last month of AC+. The battery was swelling and pushing up on the screen causing internal damage. I would have had to pay for that out of pocket if I did not have AC+.

It's my opinion, based on observations here, that a majority of iPhone defects occur in the first months of release. That's to be expected because it's always a new phone and it takes a while for Apple to work all the bugs out. My replacement iPhone 5 is and feels physically superior to the other two I had before it. Having AC+ two years down the line can be peace of mind if you have a launch day or close to launch purchase of your phone.

8. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I get applecare+ for the ease of mind. I am accident prone and it's nice to know that with $79 (used to be $49) I can just get a quick replacement at the store. When and if I don't need to use it, I do so anyway right before I get the new iPhone. Then sell it with the plastic protector still on the screen and I get a few bucks more than I would selling the used and worn iPhone. I find that even though you can still get a nice chunk of change on a used iPhone, people are more likely to buy it if it's "like new". Resulting in a quicker sale.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

What excuse do you use for getting the phone replaced?

10. m3nphls macrumors member

IDK if Amex offers that in the UK, but if they do offer extended warranty like here in the US then you don't need to buy applecare. Anything that happens amex will cover it.

11. bueller1 macrumors 6502

You don't need an excuse when you're paying $79 for it. lol.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I've never done it so I'm seriously asking.
    You just take a perfectly functioning iPhone into the Apple store and say you want it replaced for no particular reason?
    My AppleCare+ expires this month so I'm particularly interested.

13. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Yep. That's what I've done in the past, 3 times so far. About to be a 4th next week. Usually they ask what the problem is and I just tell them I want to use up my replacement. If they require a reason tell them you're not happy with the wear and tear that it has ensued lol. Or you can be a prick, shatter your own screen and give them more work to do lol

14. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ is also transferable. If you decide to sell your iPhone before the 2 year AppleCare+ is over, having AppleCare+ is a great selling point (at least that has been my experience).
    If you don't want AppleCare+ to follow your iPhone (I had an iPhone stolen), you can have the prorated value of the remaining months of AppleCare+ transferred from your old iPhone to your new iPhone.

15. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I buy it always. If u change your mind u can always get a refund prorated.

16. cynics macrumors G4

May want to consider using a credit card that offers warranty extensions and purchase protections. I don't know what is available in the UK but in the US Amex has 90 day purchase protection for damage or stolen merchandise (also covers lost items if you are more of a premiere member). They also extend the warranty of items 1 year passed the original warranty. Plus you'll get the cash back (or points) from the purchase.

Just something to consider if its available to you.

17. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 603

Dave245

I'm not very accident prone at all, i tend to take care of my devices, i have an iPad 3 and a Mac, as well as having had previous iPhones, i only ever dropped my iPhone 3GS once while getting on the bus, it put a couple of scratches on the back but nothing major. All of my devices are in great condition. However i do use them (mostly my iPhone) while commuting and being around university.

18. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

It never even occurred to me to get a replacement before I sell a phone. I'm selling this one to my adult DD. I wonder if I should do that, though the one I have is in good shape, afaik. What condition are the refurbs in?

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Amex covers defects in the 2nd year so the only advantage AC+ has is it covers physical damage.

Except physical damage.

Amex does mirror the original one year warranty after AC+ expires, giving you three years of protection.

Bottom line: Take advantage of Amex if you have it whether or not you get AC+.

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It will cover accidental damage that won't be covered by the normal one year warranty or consumer protections that you have in the UK. I'm not sure what the fee is in the UK, but as others have said it's $79USD. I'm also reasonably sure that AppleCare+ does not have a higher education discount since the iPhones are not discounted.

21. zhandri Suspended

bought it for the first time with my iphone 5... got my phone replaced twice bc of something! i'm gonna get it again with my iphone 6 - 100%. even if nothing happens and you don`t have to use it, you're on the safe side

22. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I think it's worth it.

More carriers partner with Asurion, and they have very bad reviews, so I'd get the AppleCare+ as some type of insurance on your device.

Or you can just be really careful with it. :D

23. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I get AC+ on all my mobile devices. I've used it twice. If nothing else, it gives you a certain peace of mind day to day.

24. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Again just get it initially while u can. If u change your mind they'll refund u

25. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

And if/when you sell your device you can choose to get a refund for the unused part of the coverage, or leave it on the device where it becomes an "extra" for the perspective purchaser.