ApplePay credit card number stolen, but GREAT news!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by armandxp, Apr 9, 2015.

1. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

My bank, Wells Fargo, just called me and said that they declined a lot of strange charges to my cc account just now. They reviewed them, and of course, they were all fraudulent, manually keyed in transactions. The banker then said that he sees my card was associated with a mobile device (iPhone 6+). He was able to update my credit card in ApplePay to a new card number, and I'm actually able to use it without waiting for my new card to come in the mail. Pretty cool!!! Didn't know about this feature and thought I'd share. :cool:

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would still worry about how my card was compromised:confused:

3. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

The card hadn't been used in months. Has been locked up in my house. It was manually typed in and I'm sure somehow guessed the number. The first charges were really, really small ones to charity's for under $5.00. Then after they saw it was going through, they tried a $300.00 charge.

I'm pretty sure they have schools filled with people running numbers day and night in Nigeria or somewhere. As long as we still use a number as a form of payment on a card terminal, I'd guess that it could always be compromised. I can't wait for pin and chip (NFC) and no more swipes!

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If if it has not been used for months it is hard to tell. I have had a card compromised and the best I can figure is it was copied by a waiter at a Resturant as the day after I ate there, the charges started to show up. Wells Fargo called me because it was used to buy $15 in gas. WFargo sent me an alert and basically because I had never bought gas with that card, the computer software kicked it out a fraudulent. They overnight end me a new card, removed the charges and that was the end of it.

Have a good weekend.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Very nice I have an iPhone 6 Plus and set up my BOA for Apple Pay but never tried it before. Anyway I was visiting my friend in San Fransico last year and I went to BOA ATM to withdraw some fund ATM declined I was like "WTF" and BOA texted me saying that someone in SF is trying to use my card BOA asked me to text back if it was me or not so I texted back it was me so they let me withdraw some funds. Nice of BOA. :apple:

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

My CC# always gets compromised. I don't know how Visa catches the culprits, but they do. I love their police work.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

All the banks use very smart software that alerts the banks to possible fraud. They have a lot at stake!

8. newellj macrumors 601

Yeah. The algorithms must be absolutely awesome, literally breath-taking.

9. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah this happened to me last week. My Amex was compromised but the Apple Pay switched over to the new card automatically just minutes after getting off the phone with customer service. I was able to make purchases with my phone before the new card even arrived. Definitely a nice feature!

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

possible. I've also seen where the thieves purposely wait for an extended amount of time. This way it makes it harder to backtrack and say I here at x date and the fraud happened right after.

Who knows, I think the point of your post is cool either way. I didn't know they could update the card like that.