Apple's $100 3G Insurance Policy... (get out your tinfoil hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Hats on. Ready?

Several people, myself included, have maintained that Mr. Jobs masterminded and orchestrated the iPhone price drop debacle, turning a slight surplus of iPhones into a media frenzy, an advertising free-for-all, and creating a false sense warm fuzzies for all, while ultimately still lowering the price and simultaneously making more money. To some, it was the greatest marketing ploy since New Coke.

But it occurred to me tonight; what if that were just part A of the plan? What if part B really does include a 3G iPhone announcement tomorrow? After all, lately Apple is the Kasparov of the computer world...often many many moves ahead.

The iPhone price drop came swiftly and suddenly, 2 months after the iPhone's release, upsetting and temporarily alienating many early adopters. You don't need a marketing degree to have predicted the public's reaction to this.

But if Apple skipped the price drop and went straight for a 3G iPhone 2.5 months after its debut, any outcries from a price drop would seem like kittens meowing compared to the roars of public protest over a more advanced 3G iPhone coming out so soon.

In other words, let's say there was no price drop 2 weeks ago, but that tomorrow did bring a 3G iPhone announcement. Early adopters would be even more livid and vehement. Would they settle for rebates? No. Would they want 3G upgrades to their EDGE phones? Physically impossible. They'd want full blown refunds or exchanges for the 3G phone. Apple would take a FAR bigger financial hit than by just giving away a bunch of store coupons.

If Mr. Jobs hadn't already placated the angry mobs with a $100 store credit 2 weeks ago, tomorrow could be disasterous, if in fact a 3G iPhone is announced.

But Apple knows human nature. They know when we want fresh iPods, what colors we'll like, how buttons should feel, how icons should act. They know us. And they know that if we just spent a $100 coupon at the Apple store, basic dignity will prevent most of us from clamoring for yet another form of compensation in the wake of a 3G announcement. We'll sputter and mutter and kick the dirt on our way back to the dugout, but we won't ask for another rebate, or a refund, or an exchange. (The current rebate is probably written in such a way that it precludes any future compensation anyhow...just a hunch)

Hats off.

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

It aint happening.
    I dont even think Europe will get 3G.
    Also edge and wifi is plenty for me. I dont feel like paying any extra fee's for 3G and probably is not even available in most peoples areas in the US.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

don't cry. it'll be ok.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I think people would just complain even more than before.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Nor do I. It's been pretty much ruled out already, but we'll know for sure in just over six hours!

Early next year though???

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I think we have two smart people on our hands. Steve Jobs, and you.

In my opinion, there is a good chance that you're right.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

8. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

am I the only one who thinks 3G would be nice but isn't worth getting all worked up about?

The real issue is how annoyed people will be when their iPhone is no longer the top of the line model.

I'm quite happy with EDGE, and this argument comes down to what Jobs said originally -- tech doesn't stand still.

If you expect it to, you're going to be annoyed.

Enjoy what you have and if you have the money buy a new gadget, if not, nothing has changed except your perception of your phone.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

No, I'm with you.

I've come round to this way of thinking having discovered that although we have 3G here in the U.K., the coverage is only good in cities and larger towns. So what's the point if you have more extensive EDGE coverage?

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

me to.

11. erandall38 macrumors 6502

U know I am a stickler when it comes to new tech coming out. I love to have the biggest and best and newest. I used to worry a lot about when a new 3g phone came out. But after using wifi most the place I go and have the edge ability i have no issues with it, and for the first time I could really care less. Would it be nice to have 3G... ya, but is it necessary or even that noticeable to me, no.

12. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

me three

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I actually heard that it's supposed to go 3G in Q1 08.

14. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

blah blah..... i hope steve just come out and say, you think were gonna change well were not just get use to it till 2/2/08:D