Apple's 24" LED Monitor or Samsung's 32" 6000 series LED HDTV??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by barb17, Jun 11, 2009.

1. barb17 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the difference between the apple LED monitor and the samsung LED HD tv? They both do the same resolution. You connect dvi to hdmi with an adapter for the samsung 6000 32". You are paying 300 more but you get an awesome tv 1.2 inches thick. what is the difference in the two besides the tv tuner and $. Does anyone know the answer???

2. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

While I don't know the exact differences, I do use a Samsung LCD HD tv as my primary display unit and it is great! I play games and watch movies with no issues whatsoever. What is the refresh rate and response time on the 6000 series? Colors look fantastic to me but I don't use mine for intensive graphics work like some. :)

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

While I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I'm sure the Samsung is not an IPS panel.

With that said, it looks like a nice looking TV.

4. lostless macrumors 6502

Hdtvs could make a nice monitor if color accuracy is not that important. I find using mybhdtv side by side with my apple cinema display that the blacks are a tad too harsh. If gaming and movies is all that you need. The HDTV may work for you. Also using a dvi to hdmi cable on samsung hdtvs is to set the input name to "pc". Otherwise the HDTV will try to improve the image like it does video sorces and makes hard line like text kind of blurry and not super sharp. Found this out by wondering why when dvi looked like a bad VGA signal and the VGA input looked perfect. I reconend dvi to hdmi because samsung tva have issues with odd resolutions and refresh rates (both of mine do). Dvi to hdmi forces the mac to use only HDTV compatible resolutions which should give you no probles with the dreaded "unsupported signal both my sammys have with VGA.

5. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Televisions don't always seem to work well when paired with computers. As the post above mentions, televisions try to process the picture and text readability can take a real hit. Definitely research the television you are buying to make sure you'll be happy with the way it handles a computer input.

6. barb17 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

Thank you to all who responded. You helped make my decision a lot easier. I spoke to the Samsung and Apple engineers too and unfortunately I don't think it will make a good monitor either. The maximum resolution on a mac is 1152X870. I still don't understand why, but have decided to go with the Apple LED. Thank you for all your input!

7. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

woah...you on a really really old mac or something?

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Yeah, shouldn't it be 1920x1080? You could still get a higher resolution on that based on the specs of the TV

9. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have a 24" iMac hook up to my 46" samsung 6000 led and I have it mounted directly above my iMac on the wall, and all I have to say is that my iMac's color on the display looks like s*** compared to the tv. The computer screen's contrast ratio falls so short of the led. The white and blacks almost look yellow and grey compared to the TV.