Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's $500 Developer Program Includes Tools and Resources for Transitioning to Apple Silicon, Plus a Loaner A12Z-Based Mac Mini

alien3dx

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2017
Hopefully Apple will offer some sort of upgrade from DTK to M1 for those people that have the development machines.
it's a mess who bought it and have to return it . For me as developer , ios a very slow adoption. My iMac 2017 baseline short circuit my house previous 2 days and I'm not sure either it was big surr issue . As replacement bought huawei d15 ryzen instead of m1 series(not available yet here, and will be long time to come here).

** normal stock laptop pretty pricy
** apple for sure over price as usual.

Comment

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
No refund, the $499 was a rental. In the past they’ve collected them and given a substantial discount on some new machine. No guarantees they’ll do that this time, but I think it’s likely.
It was simply wishful thinking. I'm hoping that we can get a $499 credit towards a new pro model when the rest of the line transitions.

Comment

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Same hopes, otherwise a pretty useless thing :(
Exactly. But it ended up way, way worse.

When BS beta 6 hit the DTK lost the ability to be restored via a Catalina Mac. You needed a 2nd mac running the same version of BS (albeit Intel at the time). Many developers were offered the DTK in September when beta 6 hit, but the DTKs arrived with Beta 5. Upgrading the DTK from beta 5 to 6 using the Beta Access Utility bricked the DTK hardware, which required using another Mac running Apple Configurator to restore.

So to use the DTK you needed another dedicated Mac running the same beta, which isn't very cost effective - especially for small developers.
Many small developers bought the DTK to use as a BS development machine for a year while new Apple Silicon macs shipped - this seemed like a cost effective option, but in the end these developers got screwed.

Tim Cook recently compared competition for developers to a "street fight" - and he's actually correct. But maybe Apple should stop shanking their developer community.

Comment

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
Never tried to restore, but was always getting download error when trying to update.
Was very disappointed to stick on initial os version but today managed to update to 11.1 Beta (20C5048l) via Preferences

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.