Apple's ads couldn't convince me: REWORK THEM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
When I was a "mac" hater prior to July 2008, I used to scoff at the Apple ads and just say, and I'm being honest here, that whatever they depicted in their ads was a lie. Seriously!

So what does this mean? It simply means that Apple needs to change their attitude from "hey moron, I'll make myself look better by putting you down" (no offense, Surely) to an approach of "look at the things you never knew a computer could do. Intruiged? Find an Apple store to learn more!".

I'm telling you, if I saw spaces and exposè and how the dock and dashboard work all those years ago, I would have cracked sooner. Microsoft exchange support BUILT IN?! Manage and edit photos, movies, music, and web pages out of the box?! Make making DVD's super easy? Make your face look like a pencil sketch? Hah.

Digressing, what I'm trying to say is Apple needs to DEMONSTRATE the product!!! Before I saw a Mac being used on Youtube I didn't understand what made them so great because the commercials left me imagining...well, not a lot since I had NOTHING to go by!

Oh, and more importantly, how do we let Apple know?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
They are the way they are because they are memorable. Most people don't pay attention to commericals anyway, so if you just try to show off a feature, people are not going to remember it.

Remember, you only have ~25 sec to work with, and you have to make it stick in people's minds while being clear what product you are selling.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
And yet they demonstrate about 6 iPhone apps in one ad?

They should make their Mac ads just like the iPhone ads.

This looks like it works:

Mock Ad

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
what I'm trying to say is Apple needs to DEMONSTRATE the product!!!
I've been saying the same thing for three years - and be shouted down for it every time.

The reason most PC users find the I'm a Mac adverts memorable - is because how wrong they are. They pander to the very worst lies and misinformation spread by the mac community, the reinforce the vulgar, inappropriate stereotypes, and they very very rarely, if ever, mention any actual benefits of OS X at all.

That YouTube ad there is the right sort of thing, but it's a fairly dull feature - and one that Win 7 replicates anyway. Expose, Webclips, the funky 'wow' moments you occasionally get in OS X.

Personally - I don't prefer either OS - but for those who've never seen a mac, never used a mac - being told that the machine they're using is crap, they're a fat business man, and that they're machine is full of viruses (when all three are untrue ) isn't the best way to introduce someone to a different and very alien platform.

It's like asking someone to go on holiday - not by telling them how nice the weather is and the beaches are at the holiday venue - but giving them an incorrect bad weather forecast for where they already live.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
the thing is, we don't know if the ads that apple currently have, help apple sell more products or not.

at the moment, who cares, at least apple doesn't. they keep selling products very well.

in my experience, people don't get convinced to get a mac. they get interested when seeing an apple ad, but it doesn't really mean they will buy the product.

besides, imo, the consumers who already own apple products (and are happy with them) are the real marketing force. i have an iPhone, a neighbor sees it, i show him some apps etc. and then after his contract expired, guess what phone did he get...

and i did that without tell him, that his phone is crap, that he is a fat salesman etc.

uuaschbaer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I thought about this too. Even a simple, badly produced screencast, as they're called now, as a commercial would be more convincing than all those sitcomesque clichés packed in a little box of nauseating snideness.
It could, however, be the case that the commercials aren't intended to gain customers, but to instill fanboyism to the elitist customer base that already exists. Pecunia non olet, fanboys do.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
True. I remember helping my neighbor with his CHRONIC, I kid you not 2 emails a week, Vista issues. I brought my Mac over one time and let him fool around with the guest acount. He fell in love.

Needless to say he has a new savings "jar" for a certain fix-all.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I agree and have been saying it for years. However, Apple sold the most Macs in its history last quarter, so I assume the ads are working. I'd still like to see some iPhone style Mac ads.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Yeh it's clear the number of Mac users is growing but:
a. These people remain just as ignorant after switching, don't find/use all the glorious features and then ask why it's different. (Watch Frank Caliendo as some old star like Wilford Brimly complain about the iPhone being useless only to reveal it's still in the box)
b. Apple's new success has more to do with Mocrosoft's BS. The people are just getting tired of Windows and then suddenly they realize there's an alternative.

I really do with all my heart hate the fact that those sleezy dirtbags Ballmer and Gates have such a monopoly that people just take for granted, "it's a computer, it must run Windows".

Don't cry, but there are people that don't know Macs don't run Windows!!!

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
The bottom line is that Apple's adverts work; their last quarterly accounts prove this. Changing the ads so they convince you would likely hurt the bottom line, or they'd have done it already.

It's not their concern whether people get the full experience, so long as they switch and are happy enough to keep coming back.

I thought about this too. Even a simple, badly produced screencast, as they're called now, as a commercial would be more convincing than all those sitcomesque clichés packed in a little box of nauseating snideness.
It could, however, be the case that the commercials aren't intended to gain customers, but to instill fanboyism to the elitist customer base that already exists. Pecunia non olet, fanboys do.
Nah. Fanboys, by definition, will keep buying the products. There's no need to target advertising towards them.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
The bottom line is that Apple's adverts work; their last quarterly accounts prove this.
No - they don't actually. You have NO gauge as to if the sales are because of, or despite the adverts. There is no means by which one could have a control of the last quareter without the adverts, to see if sales would be better or worse without them

My experience - every windows using person I've heard talk about them hates them - because they're full of lies, and so they've been turned off Macs as a result.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
When I was a "mac" hater prior to July 2008, I used to scoff at the Apple ads and just say, and I'm being honest here, that whatever they depicted in their ads was a lie. Seriously!

So what does this mean? It simply means that Apple needs to change their attitude from "hey moron, I'll make myself look better by putting you down" (no offense, Surely) to an approach of "look at the things you never knew a computer could do. Intruiged? Find an Apple store to learn more!".

I'm telling you, if I saw spaces and exposè and how the dock and dashboard work all those years ago, I would have cracked sooner. Microsoft exchange support BUILT IN?! Manage and edit photos, movies, music, and web pages out of the box?! Make making DVD's super easy? Make your face look like a pencil sketch? Hah.

Digressing, what I'm trying to say is Apple needs to DEMONSTRATE the product!!! Before I saw a Mac being used on Youtube I didn't understand what made them so great because the commercials left me imagining...well, not a lot since I had NOTHING to go by!

Oh, and more importantly, how do we let Apple know?
They obviously work because you are now a mac user! :rolleyes:

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
adverts are'nt always gonna work at what theyre intended to do,
i dont appreciate adverts at all,

some people, ( wish it was more ) know what they want, when they want it, no need for adverts,
but for the most part more people then not are gonna appreciate adverts, that will prolly never change,

as for being a mac hater, fair enough, personally i go by what people say for feedback if i'm gonna buy something, if its good then wahey, if not then maybe wait a while to see if it gets better,

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
I find Bud's superbowl ads funny but they don't make me buy or want to buy Bud Light beer. I have never understood how ad people think so many of are influenced to buy something by an ad of any kind (but then again people buy a lot of crap from "call now" ads so there much be something to it). I buy things when I need or want them and can't think of a single time in my life a commercial even showed me a new product I wasn't aware was coming out or already existed.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I think the ads obviously work the way they are now. Maybe they work on the majority of people, while some of us actually need to see the product in action and not just hear about how good they are.

Before I had a mac, I saw my roommate do work on his, and I remember him hitting something in the keyboard and then a bunch of little windows would come up and he would click the one he wanted, then go to work on that, and then do the same to go to another window. This went on a bunch of times in that 10 minutes. I remember thinking how hard to use a mac was, not being able to see all your open applications like in Windows and the bar at the bottom.

Of course, seeing is one thing, using is another thing completely. One day I asked him to use his mac since I notice he would hit a lot of buttons and stuff, and I wanted to know how MY experience using a mac would be like. He let me use it for like 2 hours, told me absolutely nothing about how to work with it, he said for my benefit to try and forget the way I use a computer now and that using a mac would come naturally. Next day I think I registered here and started inquiring about macs.

For me too it was a case of actually seeing it in action and using it first hand. I had seen the ads before, but since I had a fairly new laptop back then and wasn't buying, I took little notice, except to laugh at poor PC.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
They work. Just because YOU don't think they work doesn't mean it's not working.
Couldn't the same be said of your own assumption?

The unwarranted and unnecessary arrogance in this post and in this thread is exactly what the OP seems to be warning us about. I enjoy Apple products myself but I don't get why some supporters routinely admonish anyone who dares to question Apple's reasoning. Not everyone is like that, thankfully, but I've noticed when folks see that I'm using my MBP they often assume I'm just another arrogant Apple fanatic ready to bust out my pompoms at every opportunity. That's one feature I wish didn't come free with every purchase.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My experience - every windows using person I've heard talk about them hates them - because they're full of lies, and so they've been turned off Macs as a result.
That's interesting. I was in a 5 hour meeting yesterday with several Microsoft Enterprise folks giving our company their annual "these are our new offerings for next year" and the MS guys were talking about well the Windows 7 launch went, despite Apple's "great commercials", and how they really didn't like any of the Microsoft commercials, and wished MS would get commercials that were "just as effective".

Guess everyone has a different experience/perception of Apple's ads.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
How do people know they work? If there were not any stupid commercials how do you know Apple wouldn't sell just as many computers and products? You cannot claim they work simply because people are buying Apple stuff. I think ad people put a little to much importance on what they do...to everyone I know commercials are an annoyance when watching TV without some DVR and sometimes good for a laugh if creative...but they do not influence purchasing.

I have a hard time imagining "Hi I am a Mac....." followed by some shallow nonsense makes anyone get up and go shopping.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
When

When you are talking about Ads like the Bud ones on the superbowl, they are well aware that they do not "work" how you just described.

They dont expect a single person to see the ad, then go to the store and buy some Bud due to the ad.

BUT millions of people see the ads, multiple times. It gets engrained into their psyche that Bud = funny = superbowl = cool etc..., then someday, at some liquor store, the engrained image will poke its head out, and some person may buy some bud.

Its a numbers game more than anything

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Personally, I’ve always thought the Mac vs. PC Apple ads are put out there simply to preach to the choir (which includes me). They are basically goodwill ads that make the Mac community feel good about belonging to a “cool/hip/superior/premium” minority — similar to ads by BMW or Lexus.

When they come on, I always like to ask people around me what they think about the ads. I usually get one of three responses:

1) “I feel sorry for the PC guy.”
2) “I have no idea what they’re talking about, but they’re funny.”
3) “Yeah, so?”

And as much as I would like Apple to put out ads that demonstrate features of Mac OS X or iLife, it won’t happen. Apple’s tried it before with iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbyssHFY-Pk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40pP1BXp-Bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXvNxoShQso

They didn’t air long, which means they weren’t successful. Unfortunately, the average television viewer could careless.

Apple also developed a series of TV ads that never made it air, promoting 10.2 Jaguar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPmP3ojDjDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsETXPDrg2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bri1h7N78wA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkyVIbY5Fa4

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I think the iPhone apps work because, by and large, most people have phones that can't do that stuff. You watch one of those ads and you think, "Gee, my current phone can't do GPS navigation, or start up a ZipCar, or book a hotel reservation, or identify a song on the radio. But if I bought an iPhone, I could do all those things!"

That doesn't quite work on the Mac side of things because people pretty much already have PCs that do all the same things that a Mac can do. "Macs can burn DVDs? Well, so can I. Macs can edit movies? I can do that already too. Macs can back up your files? I already know how to do that. Macs can run Office? I already do that too."

That's why the message in the Mac vs PC ads is not simply "Hey, check out what Macs can do!" but it's more "Your PC is inferior and uncool, and here's why!" Yes, it's simplistic and perhaps condescending, but that is the message that Apple is trying to get across.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
They showed about 5 of those ads in the UK a couple of years ago. 2007 maybe?

My friend who never pays attention to anything remembered the mac ads. I remember being completely stunned when she parroted back something from the ad, then laughed at whatever joke had been in it.

She hardly ever goes to the cinema and basically puts the tv on for background noise if ever. But she remembered that ad, I remember being impressed by that (surprised too). The things must be working, I don't mind them.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Couldn't the same be said of your own assumption?

The unwarranted and unnecessary arrogance in this post and in this thread is exactly what the OP seems to be warning us about. I enjoy Apple products myself but I don't get why some supporters routinely admonish anyone who dares to question Apple's reasoning. Not everyone is like that, thankfully, but I've noticed when folks see that I'm using my MBP they often assume I'm just another arrogant Apple fanatic ready to bust out my pompoms at every opportunity. That's one feature I wish didn't come free with every purchase.

Someone seems unable to comprehend front page news?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/14/apple-continues-to-demonstrate-sales-growth-in-third-quarter-2009/

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/11/mac-market-share-surges-to-5-in-uk/

They showed about 5 of those ads in the UK a couple of years ago. 2007 maybe?

My friend who never pays attention to anything remembered the mac ads. I remember being completely stunned when she parroted back something from the ad, then laughed at whatever joke had been in it.

She hardly ever goes to the cinema and basically puts the tv on for background noise if ever. But she remembered that ad, I remember being impressed by that (surprised too). The things must be working, I don't mind them.

Yes, I find that many non-Mac people actually memorized the ads better than Mac users.

Status
Not open for further replies.