Apple's bumper doesn't let me use all of my plug in accessories.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Imola Ghost, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm finding out little by little, my ipod cable in my car doesn't fit in the bumper. My car charger doesn't fit either, DAMN.

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Plenty of OEM and OEM knockoff cables on eBay for a LOT less. I just had one delivered today (in black, no less) that fits the bumper and cost me a whopping $2. A search of the Accessories board will bring up plenty on the subject.

Still waiting for a good dock extender that's bumper compatible though for my speaker docks. And of course, plenty of people find their headphones don't fit the headphone jack any longer either. Stupid design move on Apple's part.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem is that one of the cables is a short proprietary one provided by Audi which I'm very sure they aren't going to make a new one just for the iPhone 4 bumpers.

The other one is the car charger from iGo which allows you to change just the tips to allow for changes in mobile phones. When you buy a new mobile phone you just change the tip to accommodate the new phone.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I was just looking at the way the bumper is made and how my accessories sit in it and I decided to shave away some of that indentation section at the bottom. I took a xacto knife and it worked perfect. If you take your time you can't even see where I cut, it's like it was made that way.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you run a search in the accessories forum, you'll find the various solutions people have come up with--ranging from "don't use the bumper" to enlarging the dock connector slot with a Dremel tool to trimming down the plastic housing on your cables.

Eventually, a dock extender will be available that fits the bumper. I know SendStation is working on one already. But yeah, Apple screwed us majorly on this one in the meantime.

Edit--glad to see you made it work! I've been lucky, all my cables are USB and easily replaced, but I've been tempted to cut mine to fit my speaker docks.