Auto Apple's CarPlay goes missing in L.A. and in the showroom

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Menel, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Menel, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Menel macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011

WTF :(

The Honda HRV has a clever new center stack with climate controls getting a glass front with lcd and touch buttons. And the 7" display above it, which appears to be what carplay was at one point demo'd on... I don't understand...
  2. mlody macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2012
    Windy City
    this translates to - we"car manufacturers" want you to spend extra $2000 -$3000 on a worthless tech package of some kind to get a navigation from us instead of using your phone for free.
    I am due for a car replacement in few years and at the rate this get implemented by car manufacturers, I do not think the carplay will be anywhere to be found even in few years which really is bad for consumers.
  3. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Oct 20, 2009
  4. NoBoMac macrumors 65816

Jul 1, 2014
    Agree with mlody.

But also, don't forget, car manufacturers aren't the most nimble companies, it takes 3-5 years to roll out a new car design, so seeing that CarPlay was announced only in June, not a lot of time to whip up a whole new audio system, if required. Maybe have to get FCC compliance. Retest everything for function, electronic noise/interference, etc.

Plus probably have a large inventory of head units already made for initial rollout, and probably don't want to eat that cost as well.