Apples Cheap Display Of Selfish Greed - Shameful

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ozred, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ozred macrumors 6502

Apple's self centered focus, being so cheap & greedy is a direct reflection of who they are.

What a disgusting situation.

Here's a quote:

" Several tech companies are responding to the Japan earthquake with plans to aid survivors."

*** Microsoft *** has pledged $250,000 in cash ...

And $1.75 million worth of software and services to assist people affected by the multiple disaster."

http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/tech-efforts-japan/

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. notjustjay, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

4. makinao, Mar 16, 2011

makinao macrumors regular

Cheap? Selfish? Greedy? Do I have to spell this out to you, from the very article you linked?

"After last week’s quake and tsunami struck Japan, destroying thousands of homes and leaving many without electricity, employees at Tokyo Apple stores brought out surge protectors, extension cords and power adapters for people to plug in gadgets and contact their loved ones. Apple stores have been a central outlet for some Tokyo residents, because they’re some of the only locations to offer free Wi-Fi in Japan, explains a Tokyo Apple store employee.“Even after we finally had to close [at] 10 p.m., crowds of people huddled in front of our stores to use the Wi-Fi into the night, as it was still the only way to get access to the outside world,” the employee e-mailed to Digg founder Kevin Rose."

I have been in a similar emergency situation like this before. At times like this, access to communication is more urgent than money. Apple store employees hit the ground running immediately. They provided electricity, and kept their wifi running to give people emergency communications channels. The employees, and the company should be thanked.

5. notjustjay, Mar 16, 2011

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Not only that, but they promised to pay all the costs involved to get affected employees either transportation out of the area and/or lodging in hotels as needed. Apparently some of the only remaining available hotel rooms were the really expensive ones (hundreds of dollars a night), but Apple pledged to pay for it for their employees and families.

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I might have misread it, but didnt the Apple store in Tokyo even let people stay/sleep overnight who had nowhere else to go aswell?

8. roadbloc, Mar 16, 2011

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As for the OP, didn't Microsoft use such donation as a way to promote Bing? I mean, I know every penny will help over in Japan, but when you earn money by donating, it seems a little shameful wouldn't you say?

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Just another anti-Apple troll post. Check all the previous post by Ozred. Every one is an anti-Apple troll post.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Does everyone really think everything can be solved by throwing money at it? It that really what the Japanese people need most at this time? Just a thought.

12. superfula macrumors 6502

After viewing some of his previous posts since he joined last month, it's clear he's here to do nothing but troll.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Obvious troll is obvious.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes, Executives from HQ FaceTimed with management in the store and told them any employee could stay there overnight and that any expenses would be paid for employees seeking out their families. Pretty darn awesome for a company to tell you the truth.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Props to Apple for being classy. Makes me happy that I support their company when they show compassion.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You've been here long enough to know they never last long.

17. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You didn't miss read, the letter sent to Kevin Rose - founder of Digg is here. http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2011/3/14/apples-role-in-japan-during-the-tohoku-earthquake.html

How people can call Apple selfish after reading this I don't know. For people who contacted their families using Apple wifi and facetime. I'm sure that meant more to them than the $100k that Microsoft gave.

18. superfula macrumors 6502

Too true. And thank goodness for that.

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Plutonius ... thanks for the info ... I couldn't figure the thread out either

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just look at the wording in the title. Couldn't have been more obvious.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You're still around. :p

I kid, I kid... :D

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You seriously think people take you serious after all the anti-apple drivel you constantly post? You do this in every single thread. Its also funny how you never read the article you linked to.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 I'd love for mods to delete his account.