Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I am surprised Apple is so daft.

Blogging has changed the way people communicate on the net. Its popularity is explosive, it's simple yet revolutionary, everyone has something to say... but Apple hasn't made a single play. No, Apple isn't even on the sidelines. Or in the stadium at all, for that matter. The only blog I have found is on Apple's promotional
student website.

And then there is .Mac. Slow, boring, expensive .Mac. Why not capitalize on something that's clearly attuned with Apple brand values?

Not everyone needs a website. But everyone needs a blog.

It would be the perfect asset to .Mac. Provide a highly customizable blog interface. Scrap the personal web site templates which are neglected anyway, and consolidate them into blogs. Create a new .Mac app for streamlined user input, RSS syndication, community functions and iLife family products. Then create a blogging widget, sync with iPod, Backup to iDisk. Sync your favorite blogs on the run. Use iCal to correlate with the blog framework. The list goes on!

The .Mac "groups" are a big leap forward... but very far from where it could be.

Blogs are cheap. Free, in fact. But just imagine what Apple could do if they tried...

So c'mon Apple... wake up and smell the coffee.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You're very right. Apple needs to make .Mac more attractive, and lets face it, "blog" is a buzz word that people recognize and want to take part in.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
the problem isn't the lack of a .Mac blogging app, but rather the limited capabilities of .Mac space. without php and mysql, it prevents us from using open source blog apps. that's what i want to do, but can't b/c of the limitations of .Mac.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Yeah *sigh* .mac has to be one of the greatest missed opportunities. There's just so much more they could do with it.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
it has everything to do with not allowing PHP on the servers

if they allowed PHP and MySQL i believe the price would go up because that would be one damn cheap server for 99 dollars a year

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You should send a suggestion to Apple to allow this. They do listen to users occasionally you know. If it could do that, I might splurge on .Mac too.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
blogging, i love it, they should offer this.... .mac is pointless to me at this point. well not pointless, useless

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree with you sort of. Not everyone needs a blog, but the number of people who would use a blog over the number of people who would use a personal website is much larger I think. If .mac gave you a blog like Movable Type (check it out) and then maybe some gallery space, the groups, forums whatever....That would be worth about $50/year to me. For some reason $100/yr seems silly. I don't want to pay for another e-mail address when all my others are free. I don't need their website, I have lifetime hosting all paid for. Really I don't need .mac, but I could use it and then my site would link to that blog and I'd drop MT even though I've been a user for 4+ years.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Does not the .mac groups function work in a way that is bloggish? I have not used it but it did appear to me that it could possibly function as a blog like application that is more community based rather then a single individual.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
eva01 said:

if they allowed PHP and MySQL i believe the price would go up because that would be one damn cheap server for 99 dollars a year

But on the other hand, more and more web hosting companies are offering PHP and even MySQL support with their most basic of plans (or their cheaper, around $100-130/year plans).

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
.mac is more than just webspace. In fact I don't even use .mac for webspace. I pay for .mac every year for Backup.app, and most importantly, isync integration. Automatically syncing my addressbook, safari bookmarks, ical, and mail preferences (and many 3rd party apps that support it) is invaluable.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
eva01 said:

Huh? I pay $90/yr for php & mysql.

And, yahoo's 360 is there too and it is free: http://360.yahoo.com

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
dferrara said:
I am surprised Apple is so daft.

Blogging has changed the way people communicate on the net. Its popularity is explosive, it's simple yet revolutionary, everyone has something to say... but Apple hasn't made a single play. No, Apple isn't even on the sidelines. Or in the stadium at all, for that matter. The only blog I have found is on Apple's promotional
student website.

And then there is .Mac. Slow, boring, expensive .Mac. Why not capitalize on something that's clearly attuned with Apple brand values?

Not everyone needs a website. But everyone needs a blog.

It would be the perfect asset to .Mac. Provide a highly customizable blog interface. Scrap the personal web site templates which are neglected anyway, and consolidate them into blogs. Create a new .Mac app for streamlined user input, RSS syndication, community functions and iLife family products. Then create a blogging widget, sync with iPod, Backup to iDisk. Sync your favorite blogs on the run. Use iCal to correlate with the blog framework. The list goes on!

The .Mac "groups" are a big leap forward... but very far from where it could be.

Blogs are cheap. Free, in fact. But just imagine what Apple could do if they tried...

So c'mon Apple... wake up and smell the coffee.
Um, well, blogs are not cheap. They require servers, storage, and BANDWIDTH. LOTS AND LOTS OF BANDWIDTH. With what they have right now is already using up lots of bandwidth. Do you see any other company out there that gives you the ability to sync two computers so your bookmarks, calendars, address book are all the same. That you can throw a document into your iDisk and it automatically updates over to the other computers that have .Mac setup on them. That you get a Backup utility to send a backup to their server incase your computer gets hosed and don't have a backup on you, you have it up on their servers. You also get an email address and a website as its setup already. Really, do you think that is easy. It costs lots of money to keep all of this going, let alone the iTunes system which they alone are paying for too. And people can get a blog for free, why would they want to pay 99 to get a blog, when they should really be purchasing it to get all the other options.

Plus, you probably didn't know, but Apple does have Blogging in their OS X Server software. So they are in the ball park, they just haven't join the game yet. You have to pick and choose when you enter something. MS already enters every market, and does a horrible job. Apple doesn't do the same.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 104
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 104

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
EricBrian said:
Huh? I pay $90/yr for php & mysql.

And, yahoo's 360 is there too and it is free.

Well, in France we have this wonderful ISP called Free (no kidding) which offers both DSL and dial-up/pay-as-you-go. In any case you get PHP, MySQL, 1GByte storage, no ads. I have a dialup plan and use my parents DSL connection, so I get all that hosting for free!

I also have a tiny small orange plan: PHP/MySQL, 75MB storage, 3GB bandwidth, cPanel for 30USD/year. Cheaper than .Mac and sufficient for a smallish blog.

And I agree, Apple should either enable PHP/MySQL or at least offer some blog/forum/etc solutions. :(

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
perhaps .Mac isn't for the somewhat-tech-savvy like those of us who want php and mysql for blogging...i guess it's perfect for people like my mom, who want to select a few pictures in iphoto and have them show up on the 'net somewhere. very little work to do. i'm not wed to my .mac email addresses (been slowly migrating them all to gmail accounts) so unless there's more "pro" features upcoming, i think i'll not renew come february.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
varmit said:
Um, well, blogs are not cheap. They require servers, storage, and BANDWIDTH. LOTS AND LOTS OF BANDWIDTH.

And people can get a blog for free, why would they want to pay 99 to get a blog, when they should really be purchasing it to get all the other options.

Um, you just contradicted yourself. I already said they were free. Apple could make this a product easily with some of the ideas I mentioned.

With what they have right now is already using up lots of bandwidth. Do you see any other company out there that gives you the ability to sync two computers so your bookmarks, calendars, address book are all the same. That you can throw a document into your iDisk and it automatically updates over to the other computers that have .Mac setup on them. That you get a Backup utility to send a backup to their server incase your computer gets hosed and don't have a backup on you, you have it up on their servers. You also get an email address and a website as its setup already. Really, do you think that is easy. It costs lots of money to keep all of this going, let alone the iTunes system which they alone are paying for too.

Bandwith? They are doing a laughable job, since it takes me 20 minutes to transfer 1MB to my iDisk. I am not saying that .Mac is totally useless. It has a lot of merit, but is not unified or powerful enough. An informed user can find many of these services for free. As of now it is only convenience with some bells and whistles. And iTunes has nothing to do with this.

Plus, you probably didn't know, but Apple does have Blogging in their OS X Server software. So they are in the ball park, they just haven't join the game yet. You have to pick and choose when you enter something. MS already enters every market, and does a horrible job. Apple doesn't do the same.

Personalized greeting cards, email addresses, web page hosting, of all things? Why would Apple even want to touch those with a 10' stick? Everybody and their dog offers those services.

Because Apple can make it easier, simpler and more interactive? Because Apple can polish it into a work of art? I think you missed my point. Apple could consolidate almost all of these medicore offerings into a single, explosive product.

You're right, they're in the ballpark. It's neat the Mac OS X Server offers this functionality, but I'm talking about elegant, hassle-free blogging for the masses, not IT geeks who can't make a template.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
eva01 said:

huh? my web server allows php and mysql and its USD$90 per year!

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Can't say I've given much thought to setting up my own blog...

but this thread does raise a very good point!
Apple created iPods, iTMS, and podcasting...

they host thousands of podcasts for free...
yet it is a shame that the .Mac groups require a @mac.com email account (or at least a trial account) for people to join groups with.

If there was an easy layout / template via .Mac I might even consider blogging. Might be an easy way for mates / friends / family to keep up to date with my life and latest events - as I'm not necessarily the best one to write / email / phone them all. Blogging could become a way for me to keep people current, as well as an avenue for me to express myself and my thoughts across a range of issues.

Now you have me thinking! Maybe I should have my own blog!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
dferrara said:
Bandwith? They are doing a laughable job, since it takes me 20 minutes to transfer 1MB to my iDisk. I am not saying that .Mac is totally useless. It has a lot of merit, but is not unified or powerful enough. An informed user can find many of these services for free. As of now it is only convenience with some bells and whistles. And iTunes has nothing to do with this.

20 minutes to transfer 1MB?? Sounds like you have a problem with your network. I just transfered a 2MB file in under 40 Seconds. I am not defending .mac on it's bandwidth because I know that in the past it has been unacceptable speed wise but if you are still seeing 20 minutes for 1MB then there is something wrong.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
zim said:
20 minutes to transfer 1MB?? Sounds like you have a problem with your network. I just transfered a 2MB file in under 40 Seconds. I am not defending .mac on it's bandwidth because I know that in the past it has been unacceptable speed wise but if you are still seeing 20 minutes for 1MB then there is something wrong.

I've contacted Apple about it, I can't figure it out. :confused: Maybe I just transfer at peak times.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
DJY said:

Actually Apple is the middle man providing a median of searching for podcasts and then providing a link. If you want a Podcast on iTunes you need to host it yourself.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
It would be great for them to offer blogging. It's difficult to set up a good-looking blog for free, people who aren't as tech-savvy have some problems setting up movable type, etc. It's definitely a missed opportunity on Apple's part.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
DJY said:
Can't say I've given much thought to setting up my own blog...

but this thread does raise a very good point!

yet it is a shame that the .Mac groups require a @mac.com email account (or at least a trial account) for people to join groups with.

If there was an easy layout / template via .Mac I might even consider blogging. Might be an easy way for mates / friends / family to keep up to date with my life and latest events - as I'm not necessarily the best one to write / email / phone them all. Blogging could become a way for me to keep people current, as well as an avenue for me to express myself and my thoughts across a range of issues.

Now you have me thinking! Maybe I should have my own blog!

apple didnt create podcasting, they didnt even create the name!

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
DeSnousa said:
Actually Apple is the middle man providing a median of searching for podcasts and then providing a link. If you want a Podcast on iTunes you need to host it yourself.

I didn't realise that!
I haven't yet tried podcasting myself.

Apologies for the incorrect post above then!
I was aware that Apple didn't create the name... but I had presumed theywere uploaded...

well its a good day - I've learnt something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.