Apple's got me hooked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anti-Lucifer, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

It will take these items to get me to go full android or even windows mobile. I am so hooked into this ecosystem, there just isn't this cohesive ecosystem offered on android nor windows.

Missing features:

* imessaging. Send 100MB images, videos, contacts, nearly anything encrypted. Built in no configurations needed. Works with my OS X between my wife's iPhone, my iPads, and iPods.

* icloud sync: emails, notes, reminders, bookmarks, calendars, photos, apps, all between my Mac OS X and iOS devices

* photo stream. The most useful feature ever

* iTunes/iBooks: easily drag and drop or sync everything effortlessly. Includes metadata to organize all media

* AirPlay. The best wireless feature bar none. I can stream from my Mac OS X or iOS device to my atv effortlessly and works 99.9% of the time. No hassles at all

* FaceTime. No 3rd party app needed. Works 100% of the time and has no competition. At least quality wise.

* Unicode support and handwriting has no equal. No other platform does this as superbly as iOS.

* battery life. Best thing compared to everything else out there sans replaceable high mAh battery.

Possible equal features that are better on other non iOS devices: iTunes Match, restrictions, camera app, maps, multitasking.

So you see it's hard to leave this ecosystem. Especially when the device performs so smoothly at everything. And is damn stable without much issues.

2. Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

For me it's not even so much a single feature but more so the fact that the iPhone is the one and only flagship device for the richest, and one of the most powerful, corporations of the world. You know when you get an iPhone that the device you buy will have Apples complete focus of attention, future improvements, and all apps will work perfectly with it.

With Android you have scattered fragmented results and a new "flagship" every couple of months that is quickly left to rot after purchasing it. Ewww :(

3. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whenever you think about leaving apple, think about how you take all these wonderful features for granted! People don't realize when they own these apple devices that they have it real good. The imessaging and FaceTime alone is what I need the most.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

Agreed! Ecosystem is top notch, especially the appstore. It sucks to find my galaxy nexus can't install n.o.v.a 3 from the playstore because it's not compatible! What a load of crook! With ios, i dont have to know which is compatible and which is not, everything is ok, and i'm currently playing bastion on my ipad. What a game!

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I left with no hesitation.

6. Furifo macrumors 6502

I left Apple twice:
    1) iPhone 3G -> Desire HD
    2) iPhone 4 -> Galaxy Nexus

You don't realise how much of that Apple ecosystem you will miss until it's gone. It is especially useful to me as I use an iPad and mac on a daily basis.

I've tried Android twice. Despite losing some money along the way, at least I can say to myself that I've tried something else. I really tried to like Android - there's alot to like about it.

In the end, however, I was left disappointed and missed iOS.

It's the next generation iPhone for the coming 2 years for me. :D

Note - anybody thinking of switching to Android and are looking for a large screen that isn't quite Galaxy Note level, try the S3. While the vanilla Android experience the Galaxy Nexus offers is nice, having owned one myself and compared it directly to an S3, I would recommend the S3 over the Nexus.

7. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I am quite surprised that I do not really use any of these features. Even being on an older iPhone I still love it.

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol and yet your still here

9. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

I'd love it if they let Facetime work without video (VOIP). So many of my contacts use iPhones these days that SMS messages are almost always iMessages. If there was data based calling, then I could call them easier too.

Otherwise the rest of the ecosystem has me hooked. The apps, iCloud and great input methods for other languages.

Now if only AirPlay would work with some kind of iTV, so I wouldn't need to switch input sources on the TV every time I want to use it.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Then why would u still troll around in an iPhone forum?

11. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I agree with the OP, there are too many features in iOS i'd hate to lose if i went to the dark side.

12. SprSynJn Guest

Can't say I use all of those features, but the ones I do use are enough to keep me. That and the ecosystem. It's enough to force me to switch carriers to finally get an iPhone.

13. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Agreed. Android is fun if you like to tinker with your phone. I really just got tired of messing with it and keeping up with new hardware. Most of the items in the OP can be overcome with apps, but Apple gets it right.

What really sold me over is device integration. I have google TV and several android devices. The communication between the gtv and phone just isn't there. Moto razr had some good stuff baked in but other than that it's work around city. I got appletv and my iPad and love the seamless connection out of the box. It gets old hunting work arounds down on the net to handle what I would think we be simple request from an integrated OS. That experience opened my eyes to the iPhone again.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The one thing that keeps me from switching: iTunes (apps and music).

And I know for a fact that will never be offered through Android.

15. mrmarts, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I have been a iPhone user since the 3G first launched in Australia. In fact I remember drooling over the 1st gen iPhone when Steve jobs first announce it. Since than I have never left apple, there is a number of reasons for this firstly my app list is growing 356 to be exact, I don't justify moving to andriod phone and losing these apps, secondly the andriod interface looks ugly to me, and finally the screen estate on androids are too big, I believe up to 4 inch iPhone 5 is enough for my pocket rather than a bulky samsung galaxy.

Moreover it was iPhone that got me hooked to apple now everything I use is apple iMac, MacBook, iPad etc, even my iTunes habits are growing as I get tv episodes and movies I too am stuck with apple for the long run can't complain though all apple product look sexy and the new iPhone looks like another winner.

16. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I completely agree. I've tried several Android devices for "features" that were not yet on the iPhone but for the overall experience they just couldn't compare. I always ended up coming back to Apple and the iPhone.

I've tried/owned
    HTC G2
    Samsung GS2
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC One S

And there was always at least one major thing that nagged me about those devices or it was missing apps or inferior versions of apps for Android. Also the iPhone crushed them all in battery life so that was a major issue. The HTC One S was actually the last one I owned. I tried to hang onto it until T-Mobile finished refarming their network for iPhone 3G compatibility but couldn't take the poor battery life anymore. I switched back to the 4S even though I have to settle for Edge right now.

None compare. I'll just stick with Apple from now on.

17. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I agree. I am hooked by and into the Apple ecosystem. My multiple apple devices work well together and reduce my stree level when it comes to having to deal with computer issues.

looking forward tothenew iPhone and LTE. After that, I should be good for awhile.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've got a 4S, an iPad 3 and a 27" 2011 iMac running Mountain Lion and I just love the fact that I can be on auto pilot with any of the 3 and just know where everything is and don't have to think which device I'm using.

I've also bought some extra iCloud space and I'm happy with the way everything "just works".

We've also got an Apple TV3 in the living room for photo streaming duties and SWMBO has an iPhone 4, which she likes for the same reasons.

I can't see me moving away from Apple for my tech needs.

19. kplu191 macrumors newbie

I just have to add my .02.... My 7 year old pc died a month ago, decided to get an iMac, and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.
    I am like a Lil kid in a candy store now! Just got ATV, and am DIEING to dump this Dinc 1 in Sept. 19th. So sick of messing with it.

I can't get enough of these forums, I'm learning a whole new computing lifestyle, and it all just WORKS! Thankyou to everyone for sharing ur knowledge esp. with us apple noobs! I am NEVER going back! :D

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

IMO, it's not that most of those features aren't available on Android devices, it's that they demand considerably more time & effort to utilyze, which is great for many Android users b/c they love tinkering, customizing, etc. Me? I just want my crap to work when and how I need it to, and I don't need live wallpapers, 1 less click to turn on blue tooth, root access, tons of folders, etc., so Apple works for me. NOT b/c I'm blindly following a cult and drinking the Koolaide, but b/c it's best for my needs.

21. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Well said. The change is not due to lack of ability or knowledge I'm just done fiddling with that stuff for marginal results. It seems like when I have an outside the box idea for using a device feature Apple has the solution out of the box.

22. rman726 macrumors 6502

I think there are a lot of alternatives for a lot of those features on Android. But my hesitation is almost solely the app store. I have an iPhone 4S and I have a Nexus 7. The app stores aren't even comparable. The way Android people talk, you would think Google Play has caught up. It hasn't and it's not anywhere close.

I constantly am downloading/buying new games for my phone. Of course I want to play a lot of them on my 7" tablet. So I go over to Google Play. They aren't there. They almost never are. I am constantly going to the App Store to check out the new and popular apps and they are always changing. Android's are the same ones week after week; and are mostly generic apps like Facebook.

23. SR71 macrumors 68000

That's why I left Android... Tinkering with it gets annoying sometimes and it becomes a hassle when new update are pushed out by ROM developers everyday that then need to be flashed or when you get everything setup on a new ROM and then you realize that something important doesn't work so you have to go download a new ROM an flash it to your phone... It just gets annoying. And don't even get me started on the terrible battery life... And that was on 3G Droids I had.... My 4G LTE HTC Thunderbolt lasted 3 hours with minimal use.

I'm going to preorder the next iPhone and am picking up an AppleTV as well for my entertainment needs. Will also be getting an iPad Mini whenever that is released. Should be a fun fall/winter for me. This ecosystem Apple has setup is perfect. :apple:

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think the Apple ecosystem is still developing. I wonder what it will be like when more apps start offering iCloud options (anybody know whether MS plans to make Office compatible with iCloud?)

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I seriously doubt they would enable their best-selling product for Mac to compete with their own cloud storage system, SkyDrive.