Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of the first public beta for iOS 9.1 yesterday, along with the GM version on Wednesday, a few of the testers have come across a new feature introduced in the update. Somewhere in the Settings app, it appears that Apple has quietly added a set-up process for the new "Hey Siri" feature coming to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, thanks to a built-in M9 motion coprocessor that enables the phones' always-on functionality.

iphone-hey-siri-set-up.jpg

Although unconfirmed by Apple, the discovery in iOS 9.1 suggests that Siri will be able to begin detecting specific user voices and determine whether or not the owner of the iPhone in question is speaking to her. Similar in vein to the way Apple aimed its Touch ID feature to work better and better the more you unlocked an iPhone using the fingerprint scanning sensor, it seems the set-up process will guide users into stating words or phrases to better acclimate Siri with each iPhone owner.

Found in General > Siri > Allow 'Hey Siri', the new always-on feature is the next step-up in the technology by Apple, allowing users to ask Siri questions or make changes within the iPhone's apps by simply stating "Hey Siri" near the iPhone. The new set-up process discovered today could also just be a way for Siri to work better detecting voices in general, and not be specific to each user. With the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus launching in just two weeks, it won't be long until everyone can find out for themselves.

Thanks Alan and Daniel!

Article Link: Apple's 'Hey Siri' Feature in iOS 9 Uses Individualized Voice Recognition

shoorty0690

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
This Siri set up was is in the 9.0GM as well.
I must have missed in in the keynote, but is this always on Siri an option on iPhone 6 or specifically 6s?

Reactions: GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Makes sense, if they didn't do this you could say hey siri ... and everyone's iPhones would come to life around you.
haha yep. was already a problem for me and my partner even with the only-when-plugged-in siri. would have been a nightmare as people start to upgrade to always-on siri devices!
wonder how accurate it is and whether it'll make mistakes often (i.e. activating other's phones, or not activating yours when you have a cold or something)

Reactions: Jason83

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Reactions: shoorty0690

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I'll kind of miss chuckling when she would randomy come on while watching TV because something on there vaguely sounded like "Hey Siri".

Reactions: rbrian

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Makes sense, if they didn't do this you could say hey siri ... and everyone's iPhones would come to life around you.

Always thought it would be 'fun' if you were a radio presenter to suddenly say "Hey Siri, call home" or something, so that numerous motorists would suddenly start seeing their phones dialling out! :)

Reactions: AbblePC

imronburgundy

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Is this feature really that resource intensive that the current 6 and 6 plus can't handle doing this without plugging in? Or is this a situation of Apple trying to give people a reason to upgrade to the s model by limiting it to that version?

Reactions: fullauto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.