Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Intercom Feature Works on iPhone, iPad, HomePod, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay

Janschi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
If someone is just making an announcement to the house, and maybe with one or two responses, the delay of recording and sending is fine. But what I’m wondering about is conversations. A real intercom doesn’t need to record; it’s real time so you can have free flowing conversation (granted you have to stand next to the intercom to press the button). But if Siri intercom has to record then send audio, then the same conversation would take twice as long, and in between speaking and listening you’d have a rather long silence which would impede on the flow of the conversation. Not to say it wouldn’t be useful, just not as useful as a real intercom, but but maybe there’s a technical limitation which is the reason for that. The most ideal would be to make it function like a phone conversation, with simultaneous two-way real time audio.
If you want to have a real conversation just use FaceTime (audio), I don't know why youre thinking so hard.
I perceive Apples Intercom as a service for short announcements or letting your family know you love them not for a whole a** conversation.

Comment

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
If you want to have a real conversation just use FaceTime (audio), I don't know why youre thinking so hard.
I perceive Apples Intercom as a service for short announcements or letting your family know you love them not for a whole a** conversation.
You can FaceTime audio from one homepod to another?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.