Apple's iPhone 6 Plus Beats Samsung's Note 4 In Tests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arftech, Oct 7, 2014.

1. arftech, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

3. arftech, Oct 7, 2014

arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Absolutely!

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

when will people realize benchmarks mean nothing, it doesnt equal to real wold usage FFS

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

6. pish6969 macrumors regular

I'm not much of a benchmark guy myself but I just watched the video you posted and the note 4 had a better score? If you going by that video the note 4 won. You posted it..just saying.

7. TwoBayDude macrumors newbie

Meaningless. Two totally different operating systems, two totally different experiences. Who cares?

8. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Here's a question: do you by any chance understand the concept of processor cores?

On a single-core basis the iPhone slaughters the Note 4 by almost 600.

If the 6 Plus beat the Note 4 on a multi-vore benchmark test, considering the fact that it has half as much to work with, I would have fallen out of my ****ing chair, yet even still, the iPhone fares exceedingly well in comparison lagging by only 300.

Enough said.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

The real question is whether Safari would be snappier on the iPhone or on the Note. We shall never know.

10. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Pretty poor... Just a geek bench.

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. As can be understood by reading andandtechs review... It's not that the iOS runs better in less raw power. The dual core chip is just that good, and able to compete with Qualcomm quad cores. Apples engineering here really shines, in terms of raw
    Power from a lower clocked chip with less cores.

It's like Intel vs amd when Intel was light years ahead.

The Qualcomm chip is still great and very powerful... Just talking about the what the guy said.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

of course the note 4 single core is lower than a dual core chip like the iPhone. the note has a quad core...
    just seems like common sense to me.
    i own a plus and don't understand his reasoning.

can't really judge on single core output because one is dual and one is quad. its spread out differently.

12. arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Yes, pretty poor indeed in respect to the processing power of Samsung's chip. With all of that processing power you would think the Note 4 would bury the 6 Plus in geek bench testing.;)

Just goes to show you it's not just about the specifications as Apple has proven this on may occasions.

13. pish6969 macrumors regular

No clue what all that tech stuff means. I don't claim to. The OP posted a thread stating 6+ beats note 4. I was expecting to see some clear cut victory according to some dopey test the dude in the video ran. Instead I saw the 6+ win in one score and the note win the other.

I'm a sports guy not a tech geek. If I started a thread stating Giants beat Patriots. I would show final score of game so it's clear who won. I wouldn't show the Giants won the first half and the Patriots winning the other half and then claim the Patriots should dominate in the 2nd half because they have 2x the players. At the end of the day. The final score it what matters not how you got there.

I have an iPhone 6. I like it it does what it's supposed to. My wife has 6+. She's happy with it.

Not sure why people on these forums post videos showing these geek tests to prove points when it was never about specs it was how the phones worked. Then people post videos and in every video I see different results. Very confusing to the non geek

14. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Tip #1: Technology is not nearly as cut and dry as football. There are no specific set of rules, only logic.
    Tip #2: Throwing the word geek in front of anything that has to do with anything running on electricity says more about you than it does about these supposed "geeks."

I'm mean no offense, just putting that out there.

15. arftech, Oct 7, 2014

arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Using your sports analogy...the 6 Plus won 2 to 1:D. It beat the Note 4 in boot up time and split the other tests. However, the Note 4 should have killed the iPhone due to it's raw processing power.

3 gig of ram on The Samsung versus 1 gig for the iPhone
    quad core processor on the Samsung versus Apple using the A8 with only 2 cores

Just goes to show you specifications don't always rule.

16. pish6969 macrumors regular

I was using the word "geek" because that's what the test in the video is called is it not? As far as saying tech geek, I assumed most "techies" think of that as a term of endearment. I wasn't literally calling anyone a geek

17. Sanlitun, Oct 7, 2014

Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

This is the Snapdragon version of the Note 4, the Exynos version is supposed to be somewhat faster.

Unfortunately it looks like they will be selling the Snapdragon model in North America.

This was one of the phones I was looking at getting but if it is the Snapdragon version here I wont bother as it will have poor audio playback quality. The Exynos is the model with the Wolfson DAC chip.

18. arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Man, I wish the 6 had a Wolfson Digital to Analog Converter! That would increase the iPhone's awesomeness!:cool:

19. pish6969 macrumors regular

Honest question for you "techies."

Why does it matter how many cores it takes to get the job done? In other words if a company put 8 cores to beat a company that has 2 cores and even if it's not by much, isn't the winner the one that produces the fastest speeds?

I guess here's the better question. Since in the test above the 6+ loses by only 300 and we use only 2 cores. What would happen if apple used 4 cores. Wouldn't we blow away the competition using these geek tests? If so, why don't we?

Again. I'm not a tech expert and I'm happy with my iPhone's. I came from galaxy3 to iphone 5 to iphone 6. I had all kinds of issues with the Galaxy and finally switched to iPhone and have been happy since.

Just wondering why these tests even matter since anyone coming from android will see the real life difference in how the phones work day to day. What's the difference if one phone beats another in a test if the user experience for lack of a better word is superior on one phone to the other. And if you agree these tests mean squat in real world usage, then why do so many people on these forums use them to justify whatever phone/model they have?

20. JunBringer macrumors member

JunBringer

I was considering one but I won't bother with any North American models since I use my devices for music so much. Gotta have that Wolfson DAC.

Samsung all but cripples their devices with bloatware and rarely used features that they need way more processing power than even most other Android devices. It's obnoxious. They should allow you to choose what software you want or at least let you remove things.

I do miss my S-Pen though from my Note 1 and 2. It was super handy.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The faster phone is the faster phone, if that's the only thing that matters to you.

There are a lot of factors to conisder. A quad core processor may use more power and reduce battery life. It may run hotter and therefor throttle down to a lower speed sooner. Apple made the decision that the dual core A8 was fast enough to serve its propose, so that's what they chose to go with.

22. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I had the International version of the Note 2 with the Wolfson DAC and it had that sweet Wolfson sound and was a solid rival in sound quality to the IPhone at the time.

I had to return my 6+ due to the earpiece call quality issue and I am looking at all options. I realize the Note 4 display will be impressive, but the rest of it especially Touchwiz is garbage.

If my local Apple store gets another 6+ in I will take it and give it another try.

23. JunBringer macrumors member

JunBringer

I did enjoy the s-pen functionality and software that worked with it on the Note 1, but on the 2 it was more difficult to just draw on something and save it. Now they have all kinds of crazy when you pull that pen out, so I'm not sure how much I'll like it.

24. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

25. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

All I know is I have my Note 3 and love it. Went back to Apple and ios now with the iphone 6 plus. Beautiful phone. Getting real sick of all the ios bugs. WTH Apple. If you can't get it together, back to Android I will go again. Sigh.

Who cares about benchmark results. Real world day to day use is what matters. This is one major reason why I like Apple and their products. They just (used to) work...