Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its suite of iWork apps for iOS devices, introducing iOS 12 support for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. All three of the apps now support Siri Shortcuts, a feature designed to let you create automations with first and third-party apps that can be activated via Siri voice command.

iworkiosapp.jpg

Several other new features have also been introduced in each of the three apps, as outlined in Apple's release notes.

Pages

[*]Animate your drawings and watch them come to life in a document or book.
[*]When using Smart Annotation, lines connecting text to annotations in the side margins stretch and move with edits.
[*]Annotations now anchor to table cells.
[*]Easily save drawings to Photos or Files, or share them with others.
[*]Support for Siri Shortcuts. Requires iOS 12.
[*]Adjust the line spacing before and after a paragraph, and set the width for columns of text.
[*]Pages now supports Dynamic Type.
[*]Enhance your documents with a variety of new editable shapes.
[*]Performance and stability improvements.

Keynote

[*]Adjust text size in presenter notes and invert colors while presenting.
[*]Keynote now supports Dynamic Type.
[*]Enhance your presentations with a variety of new editable shapes.

Numbers

[*]Use Smart Categories to quickly organize and summarize tables to gain new insights.
[*]Group your data based on unique values and date ranges, including day of week, day, week, month, quarter, and year.
[*]Instantly show count, subtotal, average, maximum, and minimum values for columns in each group.
[*]Create charts of your summarized data.
[*]Easily reorder categories to see your data in a different way.
[*]Numbers now supports Dynamic Type.
[*]Enhance your spreadsheets with a variety of new editable shapes.

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are all available for free from the iOS App Store. The macOS versions of the iWork apps have also been updated ahead of the release of macOS Mojave with support for Dark Mode and Continuity Camera for easily inserting images into Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for Mac.

[*]Pages for iOS [Direct Link]
[*]Keynote for iOS [Direct Link]
[*]Numbers for iOS [Direct Link]
[*]Pages for macOS [Direct Link]
[*]Keynote for macOS [Direct Link]
[*]Numbers for macOS [Direct Link]

Many third-party apps are also gaining support for Siri Shortcuts today following the release of iOS 12, and we've been keeping a running list. Shortcuts requires the Shortcuts app and the iOS 12 update.

Article Link: Apple's iWork Apps Gain iOS 12 Support for Siri Shortcuts

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
So, how exactly does one use Siri Shortcuts with the iWork apps? If I search for Numbers in Shortcuts, for instance, I don't see anything.

Reactions: sharleyP

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It just keeps getting better and better.

I remember when you had to spend pay a couple of grand for a computer and then buy Office for a few hundred bucks just to write a simple memo on your home computer in Word or to create a simple household budget. Now, you can buy a base iPad for $300 plus a keyboard and do so much more. Wonderful!

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
macOS updates are not showing in the MAS Updates tab, the direct links above take me to the .2 updates in the MAS. Clicking OPEN on the updates page launches the .1 versions installed on my rMBP. I suspect these won't really be available until Mojave launches next Monday. Currently running Mojave build 18A389 which is listed as DP 11 on the developer downloads pages.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
macOS updates appeared on my MBP while I was out running errands.

VernonAde

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
Pages

[*]Animate your drawings and watch them come to life in a document or book.

How do you do this?

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Can someone help with the Siri Shortcuts in Keynote? Already on iOS 12 with today’s Keynote installed. Can’t find anything related to Keynote on the Shortcuts app.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharleyP

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
I want to make a Siri / Voice Shortcut for Keynote to open an specific presentation.key file. I can do that but found that once I run the shortcut the .key file duplicates itself on the iCloud Keynote folder (presentation.key 1 - presentation.key 2...3...4 and so on).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.