Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Sunday Times reports that Apple designer Jonathan Ive and the Apple's board of directors are said to be at an impasse about his future. The British designer is said to want to spend more time in the UK while Apple's board seems unwilling to allow that. The report comes by way of The Daily Mail and Cult of Mac as the original article appears to behind a paywall.

Ive has reportedly been tied to Apple for the past three years based on a "golden handcuffs" deal from 2008. That deal is reportedly due now and will net the designer £18 million. The completion of this deal seemed to open these negotiations with even the possibility of his leaving the company. Ive reportedly has proposed to commute from Somerset, but Apple's board seems unwilling.
A friend of the family told The Sunday Times: 'Unfortunately he is just too valuable to Apple and they told him in no uncertain terms that if he headed back to England he would not be able to sustain his position with them.'
Jonathan Ive has long been credited for being the principle designer for many of Apple's iconic products. Ive joined Apple in 1992 and has been responsible for the design of the unibody MacBook Pro, iPod, iPhone and iPad. His name was even thrown around as a possible successor to Steve Jobs in 2007.

Article Link: Apple's Jonathan Ive Considering Moving Back to England?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
ok, let me see if I understand right.

Steve is Sick and is not going to be with us in a couple of years..

Jonathan Ive is going back to England...

In 20?? there will be NO Apple as we know it today.

-----

We are screw.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Makes sense... because in this day and age he wouldn't be able to communicate or send any design work back to the mothership in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh wait, this is 2011!

I agree... Make the man happy and keep him at all costs. He's the best designer this generation has and apple should bend over backwards to keep him around in ANY manner

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
This could be a game-changer for Apple:

Apple may choose to establish a major corporate branch in the UK.

May 8, 2008
Makes sense to me, a virtual presence is simply not the same as actually being there.

Who knows what his/ the teams 'creative' process is like.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Hopefully they can come to an agreement. if anybody were to replace steve I'd want it to be jonny.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
******* £18M if you have to eat processed American cheese, plastic tomato and steroid induced chicken.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
images

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
No!No!No!No!No!No!No!No!

Apple honestly can't afford to lose him. Pay the man what he needs and do what must be done to keep him.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm not certain this comment makes sense to me:
"Unfortunately he is just too valuable to Apple and they told him in no uncertain terms that if he headed back to England he would not be able to sustain his position with them."​

If he's "just too valuable," then why would Apple relieve Ive from his position? Apparently the Board feels that no Ive is better than an Ive working overseas. Either that, or Apple is bluffing in the hopes of retaining him in Cupertino.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I'm not certain this comment makes sense to me: "Unfortunately he is just too valuable to Apple and they told him in no uncertain terms that if he headed back to England he would not be able to sustain his position with them."

If he's "just too valuable" to Apple, then why would they relieve Ive from his position? Apparently the Board feels that no Ive is better than an Ive working overseas. Either that, or Apple is bluffing in the hopes of retaining him in Cupertino.

I think it was more along the lines of:

Unfortunately he is just too valuable to Apple in Cupertino and they told him in no uncertain terms that if he headed back to England he would not be able to sustain his position with them.

I don't really get it either, though.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Daily Mail is a right wing rag, it'll be ******** no doubt.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Steve Jobs is away and now Ive might leave? Not good, those two guys are geniuses and make Apple products what they are today.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Makes sense to me, a virtual presence is simply not the same as actually being there.

Who knows what his/ the teams 'creative' process is like.
Will the creative process be more negatively impacted by Ive doing more telecommuting, Ive leaving the company, or Ive being resentful that Apple is strong-arming him into not spending more time in his home country?

Why not let Ive do what he wants to do w/the understanding that if the performance drops off he'll have to return to the States or give up his position at Apple? After so many years with Apple and being a key figure in the turning around of the company I think he's earned a little slack on his leash.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.