Apple's Jony Ive Profiled, Rumors of Departure to UK Called False

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Daily Mail publishes a lengthy profile of Apple design guru Jonathan Ive, offering a rare peek into the life of the intensely private Brit behind most of Apple's successful product designs over the last decade or so. The interesting article examines Ive's life and his history at Apple, including a look at the design process that has created such iconic devices as the iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad.
    The article also refutes recent claims that Ive may be leaving Apple to return to the UK.
    While his name has been brought up on occasion, Ive is not considered to be a serious candidate to succeed Steve Jobs as Apple CEO, given his preference to remain behind the scenes and his focus on design work rather than operational aspects of the company.

Article Link: Apple's Jony Ive Profiled, Rumors of Departure to UK Called False

2. SamThe4th macrumors newbie

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

For those in the US who may be unaware, the Daily Mail is essentially the UK's equivalent of the National Enquirer, but with a more old fashioned looking font.

I wouldn't expect any of the information in this to be accurate by anything more than co-incidence.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A former mullet owner designed your Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod. :D

[​IMG]

5. Cheffy Dave, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    He may be the "vision" of Steve Jobs Mind, making Steves Visions a reality. When Steve steps down, I'd love to see him take the reigns:cool::apple::apple:

6. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

+1 on not becoming the next Apple CEO.
    Stay with your strong suit, Jon.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Always love reading about Ive, that mix of design genius and engineering talent is fascinating and, sadly, very very rare. The only thing is every time I do read an article on him I come away with the same question: Why does no other company in the personal electronics space at least try this approach? Not copying Apple or trying to find another Jony Ive necessarily but having a small, focused in-house design time with a really clear vision and end goal with little executive interference. Don't have to bet the farm on it of course but... let's say, for instance, Samsung set up such a team and put them to work on an iPod Touch competitor. It's a niche market for them and chump change with regards the ongoing costs, wouldn't matter if it flopped. Yet almost everyone else seems content to just rattle along with the same old boring 'me too' products.

Only exception I can think of right now is some TV sets and high-end Hi-Fi (hello B&O). Considering the sucess Apple have had concentrating on design and the total user experience, not just the feature list, you'd think someone would give it a shot...

8. jennyp macrumors 6502

Trust the Daily Fail to describe a picture of an iPod as "the ubiquitous iPad"

9. Optimus Frag macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wouldn't wipe my bum with a copy of The Daily Mail. Horrible, far right-wing, racist and alarmist rag with a well documented history of not just twisting the truth but making it up to justify it's editorial stance. They could say the sky is blue and most people would go outside to double check.

10. Journojulz macrumors 65816

Journojulz

In case anyone hasn't seen it:
    http://gizmodo.com/#!343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

This is not meant as a criticism of Ives - it simply shows he shares Ram's principles of good design:

• Good design is innovative.

• Good design makes a product useful.

• Good design is aesthetic.

• Good design helps us to understand a product.

• Good design is unobtrusive.

• Good design is honest.

• Good design is durable.

• Good design is consequent to the last detail.

• Good design is concerned with the environment.

• Good design is as little design as possible.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And the "The iMac G4, with its stand based on a sunflower stem" looks suspiciously like a Mac mini with 24" ACD.

12. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Ives' dedication to the product isn't marred by worries associated with being CEO. I'd hate to see his passion lessoned...that said, it seems like he's wanting to retire and move back to England, I say go for it pal:)

13. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Ive always known the real truth is that he would rather remain at Apple and have his weekly salary delivered in dump trucks.

14. bpfesq macrumors regular

No doubt how important this guy is to Apple. I'm glad to hear the rumors of his departure are false. Though i will say, my friends and I constantly imitate his advertising/promo videos describing somewhat ordinary features in an over the top way. Its just too easy...

[in English accent]
    "When we designed the iPad box, our goal was to not only hold the iPad, but also the cords and written materials. And what we've achieved here is nothing short of revolutionary. With pinpoint precision, we crafted a box with 90 degree angles at EVERY corner. The top slides off with ease and is printed with a new retina ink invented specifically for this application. There is no other box like it in the universe. This modern, sophisticated design allows for an unbelievable experience when unboxing your new iPad. We may not have created the first box, but we were the first to perfect it."

15. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

I hope that Jon continues to be part of the Apple family for a long time to come. They need each other. It would be a shame if Jon left for a different company. Not sure if any other company would give Ive the free reign he needs.

16. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Theres a few mistakes on that page. top quality journalism as always :D

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

'Brit'? Really? Would you use "Yank" to describe Steve Jobs?

If Ive was French, you'd describe him as an "intensely private French man".

18. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

If Apple put Jon Ive Tax on the price stickers of its products, I wonder if that would silence many of the Apple Tax moaners?

19. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I just wish Jon-Jon would pronounce the word "aluminum" correctly.

20. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Stripped away....

21. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

I certainly hope not. The man is a brilliant industrial designer, but lacks the desire or skill sets required to replace Jobs.

22. chirpie macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Oh come on, am I the only one who thought... gee he looked like Bono. :p

[​IMG]

23. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

I'm not quite sure how you feel about The Daily Mail. Could you please elaborate?

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why? He has no executive experience, he's just a designer. I say Tim Cook is the eventual replacement.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

He does. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Name