Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Impressive, considering that almost none of that increase was from corporate purchases. I would be interested to see what Apple's market share is among consumers like me that spend their own hard-earned dollars on laptops.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by lmalave
Impressive, considering that almost none of that increase was from corporate purchases. I would be interested to see what Apple's market share is among consumers like me that spend their own hard-earned dollars on laptops.

That would be interesting, but Apple have been making some large iBook sales in the US to schools. Whilst this is not as large as the corporate market it might well make a large dent in the Apple market share numbers for consumers only.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
This is great news! A good chunk of this increase is probably due to all the Unix geeks getting PowerBooks--it certainly seems like all the admins at my university have switched over to using them.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
I feel good - that I'm part of that stat.

More and more I think that laptops are the way to go. Just build your own 'docking station' and when you need to go - take your work with you!

matttichenor

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
WooHoo!

Maybe some results finally!!!

But now I'm worried everton will own a Mac, what a shame that would be.

m

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
I bet the G5 has boosted Desktop market share as well....I can only imagine hoe the G5 Xserve will do to their server market share.....

--Waluigi

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Its Awesome, Its just sad that that is just new sales. It would be nice to see what the total percentage of computers in use in the market are Macs. I think if you were to do that, you'll find that at least 10% of all computers (In everyday use) are Macs. Also, If Macs were obsolete as quickly as PCs, our Marketshare would be much higher. I wish that when people (Read: PC Zelots) quote market share, they understand what Market Share means, and the fundemental reasons why.

*END RANT*

TEG

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
Well I am part of that 2% but only in virtuel mode as they still have not shipped my new 15" with 1Gb and 5400 rpm drive.

I had an email today saying it will ship next week ':mad:'

kristianm

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Norway
Originally posted by TEG
I think if you were to do that, you'll find that at least 10% of all computers (In everyday use) are Macs.

Come on, 10% are way to high. Just check the latest browser ratings, IE for windows has something like 98%. Please try to moderate yourself.

But I think 10% would be a great place for apple to be.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: Apple Q2 laptop marketshare surges almost two percent in U.S

Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple Q2 laptop marketshare surges almost two percent in U.S

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
Quite good, bu I'm guessing Q3 numbers won't be as good with the PB updates coming just 2 weeks before the end of the quarter. Though those PBs seem to be selling like hotcakes now. Maybe those 2 weeks of frenzied sales of PBs will make up for the rest of Q3...

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
First, I think you meant "two percentage points" not "2%." An increase of 2% would be from 5.1% to, um, about 5.1%.

Second, not surprising since we were all waiting for the G5 to buy the big machines!

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
I'm doing my part. In August I switched from a Dell PC to an iMac. This month I switched from an HP laptop to a 15" 1.25 Powerbook.

WooHoo - I'm windows free!

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Another correction

That should read LAPTOP market share. Not general market share. So I guess my surmise about the G5 sales is incorrect, tho I suspect that the G5's intro led some people to believe that maybe Apple WOULD be here next yera and then felt free to buy.

Great news either way.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by kristianm
Come on, 10% are way to high. Just check the latest browser ratings, IE for windows has something like 98%. Please try to moderate yourself.

I don't know about that 10% number. But we have to keep in mind that a lot of old computers (5 to 10 years) are Macs, for the simple reason that most of the time PCs don't last that long. And those might not be used to browse the net. Just speculating here...

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Santiago
This is great news! A good chunk of this increase is probably due to all the Unix geeks getting PowerBooks--it certainly seems like all the admins at my university have switched over to using them.

Hey, dude, what about the Unix geeks buying iBooks :)

For web/database programming, an iBook is just fine. My iBook maxed out with 640MB runs Apache Tomcat, MySQL, etc. just fine, and probably not much slower than any of the PowerBooks.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by beerguy
I'm doing my part. In August I switched from a Dell PC to an iMac. This month I switched from an HP laptop to a 15" 1.25 Powerbook.

WooHoo - I'm windows free!
Impressive. All in the space of a month and a half??

aaronvegh

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2001
that survey

Originally posted by kristianm

i assume you're referencing the recent survey that showed this high IE usage. That's based on User Agent settings in browsers. Who knows how accurate that is? I can make Safari look like MSIE 6 right now if I want. And I would, if some nasty Web sites demanded IE. Ergo, these numbers are invalid.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Waluigi
I bet the G5 has boosted Desktop market share as well....I can only imagine hoe the G5 Xserve will do to their server market share.....

--Waluigi

If Virginia Tech can get their Terascale cluster done by Oct. 1, think about how Apple could use that to market a new G5 XServe. Even if due to cooling considerations the first model had to be 2U size, it would still be better than only being able to put 12 to a rack like the poor folks at Virginia Tech. Plus you'd be getting 2 CPUs for that 2U space.

Yup, I definitely have a feeling the G5 is going to make some serious inroads (relatively speaking) into the server world.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple laptops are slow and expensive. WHO would want to buy one??

Errr, thats what we hear constantly isn't it?!!!

So, whats going on then!?

Edit:

SJ was very correct. This is the year of the laptop.

Excellent stuff.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Apparently the delay in putting out the new PowerBooks didn't hurt any eh? :) Desktop sales were up in Q2 as well and Apple is now in 5th place in both categories in the U.S. market. It will be very interesting to see the Q3 numbers for both laptops and desktops now that new PowerBooks and G5 desktops were released during the quarter. Sounds like things are definitely looking up. They should be "ecstatic" with this news. :cool:

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by NicoMan
Impressive. All in the space of a month and a half??

Yup - :)

I also fit into that "Unix Geeks" classification being bantered about. You folks almost make it sound like a bad thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.