Apple's Latest Mac Mini Turns Four Years Old Ahead of 'Pro-Focused' Refresh Expected Later This Month

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest Mac mini, introduced on October 16, 2014, is four years old as of this week. For emphasis, it has been 1,462 days since the portable desktop computer was last updated, according to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide.

[​IMG]

The current lineup, still sold on Apple.com, features five-generation-old Intel dual-core Haswell processors with clock speeds up to 3.0GHz. Other tech specs include up to 16GB of LPDDR3 RAM, up to 1TB of flash storage, and the choice of Intel HD Graphics 5000 or Intel Iris integrated graphics. Prices start at $499.

The good news is that the long wait for an update may be coming to an end, as two reliable sources in Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Apple scoopster Mark Gurman both expect a new Mac mini to be released later this year.

Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he said a processor upgrade is expected. Gurman revealed more ambitious plans, claiming that the Mac mini is set to receive a "professional-focused upgrade," with new storage and processor options likely to make it "more expensive" than previous models.

It's unclear if the Mac mini will be redesigned, but the new processor options will hopefully include quad-core options at the very least.

Apple is expected to unveil the new Mac mini at a media event later this month, alongside new iPad Pro models with Face ID, updated iMac models, and an all-new MacBook or MacBook Air at the low end of its notebook lineup.

The big question: when will Apple hold its rumored October event? With invites yet to be issued to the media, and with Apple CEO Tim Cook in Belgium next Wednesday, the most likely date for an October event at this point is Tuesday, October 30, two days before its fourth quarter earnings results.

There's a very slim chance that invites go out today or tomorrow for an event next Wednesday or Thursday, with or without Cook appearing on stage, but Apple likely wants the spotlight to be on the iPhone XR until it launches Friday, October 26.

(Thanks, Jason!)

Article Link: Apple's Latest Mac Mini Turns Four Years Old Ahead of 'Pro-Focused' Refresh Expected Later This Month

2. xflashx macrumors regular

3. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

So is this Apple's new policy--waiting to update Macs until the current lineup is deemed "obsolete" and no longer serviced by Apple?

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

If it gets much older it’ll be re-designated as a Mac Pro...

5. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

Mine is 6 years old and i still love it. Had to add an egpu to keep up with the pace.

6. MakeAppleAwesomeAgain, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain macrumors newbie

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

I absolutely love macOS and would never consider switching to Windows or Linux but I have to say it's very hard to stay a loyal customer of Apple desktop hardware. Hackintosh sounds great but every update is a gamble, don't tell me it's not, I've been running one for 4.5 years, did every update and upgrade possible and spent hours fixing stuff. Sure it runs macOS but it's nowhere near a proper Mac experience. Sad times.

7. iMacedonian macrumors newbie

iMacedonian

Hopefully they'll release a new MacBook Air, the only Mac I'd be able to afford.

8. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

9. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

10. Spankey macrumors 6502a

I would actually buy a Mac Mini with decent specs and if used with an external GPU would be a great solution.

11. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I find it odd that they didn't even bother with a processor or graphics upgrade a couple years ago. Apple just let it sit and become outdated.

12. dalidrama macrumors newbie

And the 2014 Mac Mini model was really just a soft refresh of the 2012 model, the real last upgrade.

13. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

There's not going to be an October event. It's the 17th now, if there was going to be an event, the press invites would have already been sent out by now.

14. dabocx macrumors member

dabocx

I wonder how many of these get sold every month.

15. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

and we needed an analyst for making an education quess that the new mini has a processor upgrade?

16. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

With the markets for these products (iPhone xr vs. Macs & iPad pros) being completely different, I don't see why Apple keeps stalling on an announcement event for the Macs and iPad pros.

17. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Really the Mac mini hasn’t been updated since late 2012

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

By now, depending on what they pack into it, a newer tech Mac mini may actually outpace my 12 core cMP for anything outside graphics.

I guess it is one good thing about it being so long between updates.

19. demodave macrumors regular

demodave

20. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Not true. Invites for any October event up to date have been either 7 or 8 days ahead of the event scheduled. So we really have until next Wednesday before we can give up on October.

21. Koivari macrumors newbie

Koivari

It would be nice if all the major authorized resellers would remove this obsolete garbage from their shelves and tell Tim that they have a reputation to look after and therefore Mini is no longer available.

22. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Wish they would update it already. Would use for my plex server.

23. ChrisMoBro macrumors regular

ChrisMoBro

I have a bad feeling this will be the case. If there isn't one, I will abandon macOS for good. I can't run a business using hardware that never gets updated.

24. jgbr, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018

jgbr macrumors 6502a

25. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

I really hope you're right. I've been itching to replace my iPad for ages so I'm looking forward to these new Pro models.