Apple's Mac OS X 'Tiger' vs. Microsoft's Windows 'Longh...

stoid

macrumors 601
Again with the comparing an imminent release with vaporware. :rolleyes:

There is no comparison between the two because Longhorn isn't even a solid feature set yet, much less an actual functioning product. Meanwhile, many of us are expecting a ship date for Tiger announced tomorrow.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Pretty tough comparison. He did at least point out that he was comparing an imminent release with a long postponed release that's at least a year away. Still, that was a pretty meat-less article.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Having seen Longhorn in action, I can say that it is very nice, and in some ways nicer than any version of OS X I have seen. But by the time it is out,

uh...

I can't think of anything positive to say about Tiger vs Longhorn. Longhorn looks nice. DAMN ME! DAMN ME TO HELL!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Jalexster said:
Having seen Longhorn in action, I can say that it is very nice, and in some ways nicer than any version of OS X I have seen. But by the time it is out,

uh...

I can't think of anything positive to say about Tiger vs Longhorn. Longhorn looks nice. DAMN ME! DAMN ME TO HELL!
Can't we just lock you in a room and let you watch the sillier Jerry Lewis movies 24/7 for the rest of your long life instead?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
stoid said:
Again with the comparing an imminent release with vaporware. :rolleyes:

There is no comparison between the two because Longhorn isn't even a solid feature set yet.
MS has had a solid feature set since late last year. Period. They started stabilizing the feature set after they got a handle on WINXP SP2 which is where the brain drain at MS went too. Longshot development virtually ground to a halt as SP2 was developed. If anything caused features to be plucked out of Longshot it was Windows XP. Sweet revenge I would say. **** in **** out.

Vaporware? Tell that to the folks at WINHEC last year that came away with alpha copies of Longshot. We've been running Longhorn in this office for software testing purposes since last fall. :rolleyes: Don’t talk trash about something you know nothing about.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
it did not bash it and stated that it hard to compare a product that is coming out very soon and pretty much has all the code finallized minus a few bug fixes (I going to guess apple is in the RC stages of tiger right now compared to MS not even to beta 1 yet) But I will have to say Longhorn has a huge about of promise in it and is adding a lot of really cool stuff I am looking forward to see in action.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've only made it two paragraphs, into the article but I'm already bugged enough by these comments that I just can't be bothered to read it...

"After years of relative quiet, both Microsoft and Apple are frenetically working on major new upgrades..." -- I didn't realize it has been "years" since Panther?

" ...Windows XP hit computer hard drives in 2001. That's light-years in the world of personal computers..." -- I guess he also likes Han Solo talking about making the Kessel run (or whatever it was) in 15 parsecs?

Ugh. When a "professional" writer can't write, why bother?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
stcanard said:
I've only made it two paragraphs, into the article but I'm already bugged enough by these comments that I just can't be bothered to read it...

"After years of relative quiet, both Microsoft and Apple are frenetically working on major new upgrades..." -- I didn't realize it has been "years" since Panther?

" ...Windows XP hit computer hard drives in 2001. That's light-years in the world of personal computers..." -- I guess he also likes Han Solo talking about making the Kessel run (or whatever it was) in 15 parsecs?

I always kinda liked the explanation of how the Kessel Run could be made using many different paths, some longer, some shorter, and so making the Kessel Run in less than 15 parsecs (a measure of distance) was quite an impressive accomplishment because it implied excellent navigational/piloting skills.

Or so GL would like us to believe. :) (Retcon!)

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
stcanard said:

Personally, I tend to like Mike's columns and read them quite often. He does a good job of 'dumming down' technical details so that an average reader can understand, yet he maintains clarity of point. Having said that, he is by no means dumb himself! I didn't find any misinformation in the article, but it was a bit lacking in substance.

Not everyone has the detailed and thorough knowledge of Apple/Mac related stuff (for lack of a better word) that we all possess. I say Mike knows his target audience.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
SiliconAddict said:
Don’t talk trash about something you know nothing about.
I think what people are saying is that a) Longhorn is already VERY late compared to what Microsoft first led people to expect, while Tiger is not even close to being late. And b) they don't believe Longhorn will be out soon, and they DO believe Tiger will be out soon.

I have to say I agree with that speculation. We'll know by the end of June! If not April.

I also seem to recall some big features being publicly announced and then removed from Longhorn to scale back the project. No such thing has happened with Tiger.

Longhorn may have some great things, and one day, the public may actually have the ability to buy them. Meanwhile, by then Mac OS X may not have advanced one bit beyond Tiger. Maybe. But for the moment, comparing Tiger to Longhorn really CAN make Longhorn look bad, and very soon the real-world comparison will be Tiger vs. Windows XP.

Nothing irrational or ignorant about it.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Is it even fair to compare Longhorn to Tiger? I have to admit, from what I've seen of Longhorn, it looks pretty sweet and somewhat more impressive than Tiger, but then again by the time it comes out, Apple may have released 10.5 or even .6.

All I'm saying is that we're comparing oranges and apples (no pun intended.) Hopefully whatever Apple has out in 2006 will be far ahead of Longhorn.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
wowoah said:
Is it even fair to compare Longhorn to Tiger? I have to admit, from what I've seen of Longhorn, it looks pretty sweet and somewhat more impressive than Tiger, but then again by the time it comes out, Apple may have released 10.5 or even .6.

All I'm saying is that we're comparing oranges and apples (no pun intended.) Hopefully whatever Apple has out in 2006 will be far ahead of Longhorn.

if apple release 10.5 before longhorn which is pretty set for 2006 then apple will just being showing that it is greedy and is charging for yearlly OS updates

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
clayjohanson said:
I always kinda liked the explanation of how the Kessel Run could be made using many different paths, some longer, some shorter, and so making the Kessel Run in less than 15 parsecs (a measure of distance) was quite an impressive accomplishment because it implied excellent navigational/piloting skills.

Or so GL would like us to believe. :) (Retcon!)
I've always liked that explanation as well :)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
rikers_mailbox said:
Personally, I tend to like Mike's columns and read them quite often. He does a good job of 'dumming down' technical details so that an average reader can understand, yet he maintains clarity of point. Having said that, he is by no means dumb himself! I didn't find any misinformation in the article, but it was a bit lacking in substance.
Well, the two points I listed are factual errors, and as such mis-information. Admittedly the "light-years" comment is a definition problem (how can we use distance to measuer time), but "Apple has been working for years on its upgrade" is downright wrong.

If he had said "Both Apple and Microsoft are working on the next major upgrade to their operating systems" I would have been fine. Instead it implies that Apple is having as much trouble with Tiger as Microsoft is with Longhorn.

Honestly the "light-years" bugs me more. If this was a blogger, okay, but this is a professional writer, isn't it?

As I can't be bothered to read an article that gets major points wrong before it even gets into the explanation, I can't comment on the rest.

Not everyone has the detailed and thorough knowledge of Apple/Mac related stuff (for lack of a better word) that we all possess. I say Mike knows his target audience.
All the more reason to ensure you get the facts right. Details aren't necessary, but the basic facts need to be. Especially when its a broad, non-technical audience!

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
stcanard said:
Well, the two points I listed are factual errors, and as such mis-information. Admittedly the "light-years" comment is a definition problem (how can we use distance to measuer time), but "Apple has been working for years on its upgrade" is downright wrong.

If he had said "Both Apple and Microsoft are working on the next major upgrade to their operating systems" I would have been fine. Instead it implies that Apple is having as much trouble with Tiger as Microsoft is with Longhorn.

As I can't be bothered to read an article that gets major points wrong before it even gets into the explanation, I can't comment on the rest.

You are pretty nieve to beleive that apple has not been working years on Tiger. Just because Panter came out last year does not mean they only had one year to work on tiger. I have a good feeling a lot of the stuff in 10.4 was in the works back in 10.2 if not 10.0 and they taken this long to make sure everything works most of it be internal so not much out side. So the years comment is right.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Timelessblur said:
You are pretty nieve to beleive that apple has not been working years on Tiger. Just because Panter came out last year does not mean they only had one year to work on tiger. I have a good feeling a lot of the stuff in 10.4 was in the works back in 10.2 if not 10.0 and they taken this long to make sure everything works most of it be internal so not much out side. So the years comment is right.
Let's face it. When people read that statement what they are thinking of is the time between releases. Of course they've been working on it for years. If you want we can include all the work that went in Rhapsody, OpenDoc, etc, all of which went into this transtition.

But that's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the time between releases.

Even that I could have handled, but the mistake in the next paragraph, one that someobody who writes about technical stuff for a living should know better than to do, threw me off. Make one mistake okay, but come on...

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Longhorn has the potential to steal a lot of Apple's thunder, especially if they make the OS more streamlined and attractive to the average user (3-D acceleration helps).

Still, I know MS has to keep the registry and lets programs trash a system by installing files everywhere, so no matter how well it looks, in practice...

And remember, MS has been working on this for 5 years as of next year, that's a VERY long time.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Tough to say

Using Windows XP like I had to for a long time, the time when i couldn't afford a new apple and had to do video, i got used to it. It wasn't bad, it was relatively snappy, <SARCASM>and I just love the way that windows will race to put something on the screen before anything can actually be done</SARCASM>. When i bought my G5s, the XServes I didn't really use for desktop apps but the 2.5, there was absolutely no contest. The longer I use 10.3, the more I love it. The biggest thing I hated to do was to rebuild my HD on my PC every 6 mos. because it had become unweildily slow. It was, however, unavoidable for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. The mac simply has a better arhchitecture. By forcing developers to use a new and better system, Apple made its platform infinitely superior to any Windows system. Longhorn, I'm certain, will still use the same system of regulated chaos for application installs, and this will be a crippling blow to any major operating system. I'll stick with 10, and you should too.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ZildjianKX said:
Longhorn has the potential to steal a lot of Apple's thunder, especially if they make the OS more streamlined and attractive to the average user (3-D acceleration helps).

Still, I know MS has to keep the registry and lets programs trash a system by installing files everywhere, so no matter how well it looks, in practice...

And remember, MS has been working on this for 5 years as of next year, that's a VERY long time.
Yes the 3D acceleration will help Longhorn, but guess what? They're releasing it for Windows XP as well.

As far as the DLL-hell, it'll only get worse for Microsoft. I talked to a "technology evangelist" that said the DLL-hell problem was far behind them because now they're pushing everyone to the .NET way of doing things... which is way more DLL-hell than MS has EVER been. The GAC is a nasty, nasty thing.

They claim the registry is far behind them too, although I'll believe it when I see it.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
SPUY767 said:
I'll stick with 10, and you should too.

And there's the rub of it. MS can make its best OS its ever made its not going to make the average Mac user switch back. That is why its important to get as many switchers as possible between now and the "supposed" 2006 release.