Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Notice how Scott Forstall is #2 on the list, while Tim Cook, Craig Federighi, Eddy Cue, and Jonathan Ive aren't on the patent at all. It goes to show who really was in charge of innovation at Apple, and why it has slowed to a glacial crawl once he got sacked.

Didn't Jony Ive design the hardware?

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
What?? Of course this patent is now stronger. There is no error. What, Samsung/Google are now going to challenge it in court after it's been reaffirmed for all 20 claims? Apple can walk into court with a valid patent, with what amounts to a full overview. An affirmation that the patent is good and valid.

Yes, it's MUCH stronger now. Suing Apple on any of those patents will be pretty much fruit(apple)less from here on out.

Go Apple!

Out of curiosity, what are you basing your statements on?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom

Someone did an article a while back on how the iPhone would have looked before Steve Jobs intervened, including some prototypes with harsh cut corners, making the device look octangular, and one that looked like an iPod mini - interestingly they featured signal dots as are in iOS 7 now that Steve isn't here to veto them.
The actual iPhone was very different from those designs.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
What they meant is that it is now more difficult to invalidate the patents, thus making it stronger for Apple to resist companies trying to invalidate the patent, like they've tried to do with many other Apple patents.

Once it survives the reexamination process, it is very rarely that it'd get challenged again later with extremely low chance of total invalidation.

It doesn't make it more difficult to invalidate. But, yes - people will think a bit harder when considering a challenge. Hence the strategic win!

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Looking back at it all, the iPhone is so incredible. Even the first one from almost 7 years ago still blows my mind. I'm glad that I've been alive to see this kind of stuff.

Are you really really old?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Apple patented the MultiTouch™ technology used in the iPhone...

Why do we see other vendors copying this tech, and why are they not being sued by Apple until they are broke?

Clearly, Apple won the patent on this. Samsung is using multitouch on all their smartphones now....and they haven't stopped. I don't understand it. The technology is patented, and they should be forbidden from using it.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Someone did an article a while back on how the iPhone would have looked before Steve Jobs intervened, including some prototypes with harsh cut corners, making the device look octangular, and one that looked like an iPod mini - interestingly they featured signal dots as are in iOS 7 now that Steve isn't here to veto them.

The iPhone 4 must have been the first Jony-inspired design then

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Indeed yes.
I'm sure you would love to live in a world where Apple had zero competition to any of it's products.

How far back do you think we would be in such a world?

Not a fair assumption, to think that Samsung is Apple's sole competition. Google/Moto is a far better competitor to Apple, and then there is Windows/Nokia

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The iPhone 4 must have been the first Jony-inspired design then

Basically the Original iPhone design was 10 times better than the iPhone 4 or 5. No wonder Jony didn't design it...all of his stuff is flat glossy glass and sharp metal edges, I hate it. Even my own computers.

I am more a fan of curvier, ergonomically comfortable designs, and matte displays.

Last edited:

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
About time! Now we have the right arsenal in our hands. Bring down and call out all the copycats! :D Competitions always good, blatant copying that you can no longer distinguish one from another is awful for consumers.

----------

Why do we see other vendors copying this tech, and why are they not being sued by Apple until they are broke?

Clearly, Apple won the patent on this. Samsung is using multitouch on all their smartphones now....and they haven't stopped. I don't understand it. The technology is patented, and they should be forbidden from using it.

It is time for them to pay retroactively!

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
About time! Now we have the right arsenal in our hands. Bring down and call out all the copycats! :D Competitions always good, blatant copying that you can no longer distinguish one from another is awful for consumers.

Yeah apple copying half android and part WP was awfull.

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
Looking back at it all, the iPhone is so incredible. Even the first one from almost 7 years ago still blows my mind. I'm glad that I've been alive to see this kind of stuff.

Exactly! I still remember all those crappy "smartphones" that was out there and I used couple of them. I thought they were good because of their capabilities of handling so many contacts with details. (If you remember, some of the older flip phones could only hold 250 contacts and 9-10 quick-dials.)

When iPhone came out, it was beyond incredible. It's still amazing what we can do on a small palette now days.

Android and Samsung can yak all they want - it was Apple's iPhone that started it all.

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003

"...and boy have we patented it!" - Steve Jobs, 2007

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Yes and he was on a couple multi touch and proximity sensor patents. Notice that some of the other inventors on these patents were members of Forstall's team. These patents were originally filed in 2004 and 2005.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...8,239,784.PN.&OS=PN/8,239,784&RS=PN/8,239,784

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...8,479,122.PN.&OS=PN/8,479,122&RS=PN/8,479,122

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...8,381,135.PN.&OS=PN/8,381,135&RS=PN/8,381,135

28cdag4.jpg
160buhv.jpg
noftxz.jpg

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Innovate or die...

Can't believe it's been 6 years already since the original iPhone, time truly files, and the iPhone is still legendary! What a visionary that Steve guy was. :cool:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Yeah it was during the Samsung trial when documents of prototypes were leaked as part of the trial. In fact, what became iPhone 4 was originally prototyped in 2005.

xl_Apple_purple_prototype_624.jpg

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Only in America, the place the government shuts down for several weeks and refuses to pay thousands of workers due to a petty argument...

That's my summery of Americas corrupt patent system. And the joy of no doubt several more years of suing and counter suing in courts over bogus claims. I see that in America you can now patent the name of a food.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.