Apple's Music Service - April 28th?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This Latest LA Times story (registration required) discusses Steve Jobs' statement denying any current bid on Universal's Music division.

The article also confirms a date for the launch of the service:

If Jobs decides to make a formal bid, he is unlikely to do so until after Apple launches its online music delivery service April 28, sources said. Apple's digital downloading service would feature songs from all five major record companies.
The date of April 28th, 2003 was first mentioned by AppleInsider, earlier this month.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Hopefully new iPods with recording feature and ability to act as a host to dl and preview pics from a digital cam will come out at the same time....is the 28th a tues? ;) Can't wait to see what innovations wil be in the music service....it will give me something intresting to do browsing through the songs while i'm bored looking for a job...

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
the 28th is a Monday... doesn't the 29th seem more likely? then again, the new FCP was released on a Sunday, so who knows.
"Released" and "announced" are two seperate things.
In the past, new products with "immediate availability" were announced on Tuesdays to allow retail outlets either some warning time or allow shipments to reach stores very close to the release date (FedEx and UPS usually don't deliver on Sunday)
This music service would be a little more than just a product introduction, so the actual introduction date is all up to those crazy Cupertino people (or just Steve).

Snowster

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Scary. Now we have a date set already.

Its funny to watch people talking about when such a service would be released and at the same time people are forgetting to ask why such a service would be started in the first place.

Do we really need/want Apple to serve downloadable music for a fee? I mean we have Amazon for books for example. Nobody expects Apple to start selling books. Why do we expect/hope that Apple would start this online music service, and will it really be any good to Apple?

- Snowster

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Actually, Apple does sell books at their store.

Music fans just hope somebody can come up with the right formula that will solve the problems now faced by consumers, such as high prices, threat of CD copy protection, DRM on other online services. Nobody else has it figured out, many online services are not Mac friendly and the iPod tiein makes us all hopeful that Apple can be successful.

Performfreak

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Cedar Falls/Des Moines, IA
I hope that when this music service is released (if at all) it offers better pricing than $1.00 a song. That's robbery in my book! I know some other people don't feel the same way, but when emusic.com charges a flat fee of 9.95 per month (or 14.95 a month depending on which package you buy) for unlimited downloads... come on, which service would you choose? They also offer 50 free downloads just to try out the service! I don't want to turn this into an advertisement for emusic, but it's definitely the better value and the better selection to me. I wouldn't pay $1.00 a download, even if it is to my favorite cooperation in the world, if there's a better service available. Emusic has a much more eclectic grouping of music in my opinion than pressplay (the current Vivendi service) and are much cheaper if you download a good amount of tunes.

I just don't want this to turn into the failure that could hurt apple, possibly fatally. If they're going to go through with this venture, they better do it right.

jhershauer

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Originally posted by Performfreak
I hope that when this music service is released (if at all) it offers better pricing than $1.00 a song. That's robbery in my book! I know some other people don't feel the same way, but when emusic.com charges a flat fee of 9.95 per month (or 14.95 a month depending on which package you buy) for unlimited downloads... come on, which service would you choose?
I'd choose the one with all 5 major labels signed on. ;)

Performfreak

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Cedar Falls/Des Moines, IA
yeah... I'm not a big fan of major labels

most of the time they're just out to make money, and the music often reflects that. I think people need to expand their tastes beyond the mainstream, but once again, just my opinion. Let the masses have what they want I suppose

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Originally posted by jhershauer
I'd choose the one with all 5 major labels signed on. ;)
I'm one of thrm people that likes to have the case and notes etc so I probably wouldnt buy any unless it was an artist I didn't like enough to collect their album or only liked a certain song (plus cd's are collectable and have resale value, such as old beatles records for instance, but a music download will never be like that) However if I dis chose one it'd be the one with the best selection of indie label's. So me most the best stuff are coming out on small label's by more underground bands instead of a lot of the mass market junk thats on most of the majors. Anyone heard anything about indies signing up for this service. I guess we won't know till its released. I guess the other services have a good selection of indies but I'm not sure as I never check them.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Let the masses have what they want I suppose
More likely let the masses have what they're made to want.

I really hope this service will have a good selection of soundtracks as I need them and some of them are very hard to find. This would make the process easy. ..Though I need them to be editable. if they're say 160-192kbps AAC, I think it'd kick ass. I don't exactly know how small the files are compared to mp3, but I think something like this could pretty much match a 224-256kbps mp3. am I right or wrong?

Lucid Drake

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2003
SF, CA
Let's try this rumor thing out. I heard from someone that Apple would be launching their new music service and *Video iPod* on April 28th. This I heard this morning, before I knew of this article. Interesting. I have no track record, but I did hear it from someone close to the source.

I also heard the current 10GB model will be dropped to $129 once the Video iPod starts shipping. This sounds more fanciful.

But hey, if I'm right, anyone care to buy me a new video iPod? ;P

--Lucid

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Video iPod & $129, 10 gigers??? whatever...

I think people need to expand their tastes beyond the mainstream, but once again, just my opinion. Let the masses have what they want I suppose
Like choosing MACs over PCs? I know what you mean, but it will never happen...

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Stop lying to yourself, find out what really happened.
Fold as if your life depended on it, and it might soon enough.
Fold Now! Click me!

way off topic but what is folding.

PS i want an ipod.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I hope that when this music service is released (if at all) it offers better pricing than $1.00 a song. That's robbery in my book! I know some other people don't feel the same way, but when emusic.com charges a flat fee of 9.95 per month (or 14.95 a month depending on which package you buy) for unlimited downloads... come on, which service would you choose? They also offer 50 free downloads just to try out the service! I don't want to turn this into an advertisement for emusic, but it's definitely the better value and the better selection to me. I wouldn't pay $1.00 a download, even if it is to my favorite cooperation in the world, if there's a better service available. Emusic has a much more eclectic grouping of music in my opinion than pressplay (the current Vivendi service) and are much cheaper if you download a good amount of tunes.
Do those other services give you music in format that can be burned to an audio CD? I'd pay $1.00 a song if I could do that (and the quality was up to snuf)

jhershauer

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Re: Major Labels

yeah... I'm not a big fan of major labels

most of the time they're just out to make money, and the music often reflects that. I think people need to expand their tastes beyond the mainstream, but once again, just my opinion. Let the masses have what they want I suppose
I'm with you on the small labels, and expanding your tastes, but I don't see any down side to having access to the major label archives. Those guys have bought out a lot of artists over the years, and it's not just top 40 one-hit-wonders.

For example, with Sony you get the fantastic classic jazz archive of Columbia/Legacy, plus a whole lot of Classical music. I have a whole bunch of Columbia/Legacy Jazz CDs. I don't think that necessarily makes me one of the "manipulated masses."

I figure it's easy to get access to the smaller label stuff, but if I can actually feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the major labels, that's a pretty big leap forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.