Apple's new digital lifestyle device

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
over at MOSR there's this little blurb mentioned between the coming ibook and airport updates.

The rumored next move for Apple is to introduce....

Also on the table are Apple's next Digital Lifestyle device, which we're told will address the home entertainment market....
any idea as to what this puppy's gonna be?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Could be a device similar to the iPod only instead of music its for movies/photo slide shows. You can bring files onto it from iMovie(or FCP) and show them/work on them? anywhere...

Set Top Box

We have heard rumors of set top box from Apple but it seems unlikely. A camera does not make sense thier are way to many good cameras out there, they would have to slap thier name on some awsome Sony camera, very unlikely. Tablet PCs are always on option but I hate to add to iWalk rumors. Who knows it will probably be something unexpected.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
i wonder

apple has the music and photo/film areas covered pretty well right now, i wonder if this is going to be related to a TIVO type product.

i remember they purchased a set-top tech company a while back( its on a thread here somewhere...)

can you imagine a new ti book as the center of your home ent center with the bott/adapter running to a 23" screen on your wall? better still, whens apple coming out with a plasma screen?:D

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
How bout a portable firewire tivo type device that lets you take unwatched programming from your Apple tivo thingy and transfer it into a 10 gig drived portable with a little screen (like the portable DVD players).

Put a cigarette adapter and a video out for a car screen, and you've got yourself a good alternative for long road trips.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mcrain
How bout a portable firewire tivo type device that lets you take unwatched programming from your Apple tivo thingy and transfer it into a 10 gig drived portable with a little screen (like the portable DVD players).

Put a cigarette adapter and a video out for a car screen, and you've got yourself a good alternative for long road trips.
Add QT6 and mpeg-4 compression and on a 10Gig drive you could record plenty of video from you television, replay it on your Mac. This would be huge.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Just to press a few buttons:

iBook rebuild without keyboard.

Like a giant, full featured Newton running OS X. Keyboard available as a second dock. Bluetooth to optional set-top box and integral Airport.

The first goof to use the P word gets a Pie and a Ding-Dong Wedgie.:eek:

tokyotintin

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
New digital devices in Japan

Some ideas about what might be cooking in Apple's digital device laboratory can be found while perusing Japanese web sites.
These links show a couple of digital devices already on the market here in Japan. The Panasonic Snap-D is an ultra-compact audio/photo/video-recorder with MPEG-4 recorded on SD-memory (now available in a 512 MB-version). The Sharp MT AV-1 is a portable video player, using only electronic memory, allowing you to "tape" TV or video and bring it with you. Both of these devices would be even cooler with some Apple touches.

(Both sites in Japanese)

http://www.panasonic.co.jp/products/dvc/DIGICAM/av10/4_top.html

http://www.sharp.co.jp/products/mtav1/index.html

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
As loyal as I am I Think Apple is getting in over its head, they are shifting to the dark side, they are trying to say heyyour with us or your against us. The iPod was a little out of league, eMac is good, they are at a ok state now, but home entertainment and PDA's? That is getting too .netty.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by TiMacLover
As loyal as I am I Think Apple is getting in over its head, they are shifting to the dark side, they are trying to say heyyour with us or your against us. The iPod was a little out of league, eMac is good, they are at a ok state now, but home entertainment and PDA's? That is getting too .netty.
I disagree. First of all more people will buy Apple if/when these products are out. They are fun and most important to consumers "cool".

How is home entertainment "out of their league"? Apple's been all about creativity and all, which includes entertainment. People like to enjoy themselves. If they cant enjoy themselves, they wont buy the product.

I think you just have the new technology jitters...

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mac= home entertainment system

judging by the amount of time i've spent on-line lately( mostly here), my mac is my home entertainment system....

here i can control the content, enjoy minimal advertising, scan a virtually unlimited number of channels.... and its interactive.

now if apple can do that to regular tv:)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
at the risk of incurring eyelikeart's wrath, now is the time for a PDA. the market is almost dead in its tracks, I havent seen anything new or worthwhile come out in about 6 months. PalmOS doesnt offer enough, and PocketPC 2002 just sucks. Sounds about ripe for an iPod-like introduction, because I felt the same way about MP3 players right before the iPod came out.