Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's New MagSafe Charger and Cases Begin Arriving to Customers

Wig321

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
I have used Qi with my 11 Pro for 9 months, and maximum battery health is down to 88%.
My X lasted 2 years and ended at 93%
Thoughts?
My 8 plus was down to 85% after 6-8 months of wireless charging so changed back to standard charging via a cable. Still on 85% 18months later.

Reactions: Yumbo and agsystems

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Something is missing but I can’t quite put my finger on it 🤔

Ostensibly, the "safe" in MagSafe power connectors for laptops spoke to keeping a laptop resting on a table safe from falling to the floor if someone tripped on the charging cable.

Is that still true with an iPhone resting on a table with a MagSafe puck, and someone tripped on the charging cable? Or would both iPhone and connected puck crash to the floor?

If the latter, it seems MagSafe is not the right name for the device, since it would just be about portless charging, and nothing to do with MagSafe safety.

Psychicbob

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2018
My 8 plus was down to 85% after 6-8 months of wireless charging so changed back to standard charging via a cable. Still on 85% 18months later.
Crikey, that’s interesting. I’ve been charging my 11 Pro mostly via lightning port so I can get it charged up quicker than when using Qi pad. It’s not something I want to experiment with really as, if you are right, that’s quite a damaging fault. I wonder if the MagSafe and newer battery charging mechanism will not cause that type of battery degradation. If it does, we’ll hear about it.

Psychicbob

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2018
Ostensibly, the "safe" in MagSafe power connectors for laptops spoke to keeping a laptop resting on a table safe from falling to the floor if someone tripped on the charging cable.

Is that still true with an iPhone resting on a table with a MagSafe puck, and someone tripped on the charging cable? Or would both iPhone and connected puck crash to the floor?

If the latter, it seems MagSafe is not the right name for the device, since it would just be about portless charging, and nothing to do with MagSafe safety.
The puck and iPhone will go flying, for sure. Maybe the “Safe” part of the name is that it prevents battery damage by being placed exactly in the maximal position, rather than off centre.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
Why do I need MagSafe? Still cannot get the answer.
You don’t need MagSafe. That’s the answer. Welcome! :)
Not sure why people are bent out of shape about MagSafe. If you don’t buy it or any MagSafe accessories the addition of MagSafe to the iPhone 12 affects you in no way. You can still use non Apple wireless charging at slower rates
Apple must ONLY make products I want. As they make more and more products I DON’T WANT, then that means that I’m increasingly NOT the target and I CAN’T BEAR THAT! THEY MUST ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE FOR MEEEEEEE!
Do you have to have a MagSafe case, in order to use the MagSafe charger puck? Can you just use the MagSafe charger on regular plastic cases which I now use on my Mophie wireless pad?
Yeah, they’ll charge at the normal inductive Qi level.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008

XS Max - 2 years of wireless charging. 92% battery health. Your issue is purely speculative.

Before that, it was always a fast charge cable. Again, no issues with battery health.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Will someone please explain something to me.....I have an iphone 6S Plus and am planning on purchasing an Iphone 12. Have been following the developments re: the MagSafe accessories and charging matt....I am just not understanding the benefit of spending $$$ on the MagSafe charging matt and, therefore, the Mag Safe enabled cases. Can someone please explain to me what the advantages are? I am just having a difficult time figuring this out..ty
It’s not necessary. It’s a nifty feature that makes things slightly more convenient. Something like not fumbling in the dark to put that tiny lightning cable in. Plopping it on a desk when you walk in the door instead of finding a cable. If you don’t want to spend $$$ no ones forcing you to. Use your cable the way you’ve always had.

My instinct tells me the effort that Apple put into this likely means they’re on track for a “port-less” iPhone and this is a trial to see if that lifestyle could be convenient and well received. If they can build this ecosystem now, then the groundwork will already be laid for when they remove the lightning port.
[automerge]1602971358[/automerge]
I wonder if you can do an iPhone 69 with another (consenting) iPhone?
You mean 96.

Reactions: polyphenol

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Finally, FINALLY, Apple releases an official case that protects the BOTTOM of the phone as well. I don't know why every official case made for the 6 and up always left the bottom unprotected but it was so irritating. So happy they knocked that off and went back to the full coverage style of the 5S and older cases.

I'm curious if these Apple cases will be completely flush with the front glass, or they will have a bit of a lip, to protect during drops on the corners...

But I have a feeling they will be flush.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The Magsafe Charger is really nice. If only Apple had the courage to include this in the box.

Your attempt at jabbing Apple was poorly executed, however; When Phil Schiller mentioned the word ‘courage‘, he was inferring on taking something away, not including something. Even if Apple were to include the MagSafe charger, the consumer would have to pay for it one way or the other, this accessory is not for everyone. So by Apple not including it, gives us the option, which is exactly how it should be.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
The Magsafe Charger is really nice. If only Apple had the courage to include this in the box.
Kind of a off key post considering the lengths they went through to not increase the price of the hardware much this year. If you have the extra 50 bucks we would have seen the iPhone increased by, then just go buy the charger? I certainly don’t want to be forced to buy it for “free”.

And on a bigger tangent. Apple, I’d love a Mac sold without your RAM or storage included. Thanks.

kb923689

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2019
Kind of a off key post considering the lengths they went through to not increase the price of the hardware much this year. If you have the extra 50 bucks we would have seen the iPhone increased by, then just go buy the charger? I certainly don’t want to be forced to buy it for “free”.

And on a bigger tangent. Apple, I’d love a Mac sold without your RAM or storage included. Thanks.
If there's less accessories and features in a new product you are paying the price increase even if it's the same price of the last product. It's just that it's not in your face.

Apple would never sell a Mac without RAM or storage. They need to overprice that 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD to get high margins.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I have used Qi with my 11 Pro for 9 months, and maximum battery health is down to 88%.
My X lasted 2 years and ended at 93%
Thoughts?
1 year 11 pro max and it's still at 100%. Only charges on high speed daily (although the phones scales the speed down) wireless qi chargers

Reactions: matrix07

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

Alignment tab. Probably doesn't do anything for the charging puck itself, but it will keep the wallet from spinning 360 degrees around the back of the phone and looks like it keeps your phone upright on the car mount or the mount could be rotated 90 degrees and it will hold your phone in landscape mode.

Reactions: arn

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Lets be honest, that is 100% why this magnet thing exists. Apple will very likely remove all the ports next year and are trying to get people used to charging a different, and in my opinion more complicated, way.
More like a monopoly style money grab. There is no good reason a qi 15w charger shouldn't be able to do 15w on an Apple iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.