Apple's Phil Schiller and Anand Shimpi Provide Insight Into A12X Chip in New iPad Pro Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller and Apple chip expert Anand Shimpi, who created AnandTech, recently sat down for an interview with Ars Technica to provide a walkthrough of the A12X chip in the iPad Pro and some insight into Apple's chip development techniques.

The A12X is an 8-core chip with four performance and four efficiency cores, all of which can be active at once. The iPad Pro is the first iPad able to use so many cores simultaneously, and you're going to see major gains over the A10X when running heavily-threaded workflows, according to Shimpi.

[​IMG]
    The GPU in the iPad Pro is the first 7-core implementation of Apple's custom-designed GPU, Shimpi told Ars Technica. Each core is "faster and more efficient" than the GPU in the previous-generation A10X, leading to 2x improved graphics performance. "It's unheard of in this form factor, this is really an Xbox One S class GPU," said Shimpi.

With more memory bandwidth, the GPU is faster than what you might get on the iPhone with workloads that are able to take advantage of a 2x bigger memory subsystem. According to Shimpi, Apple takes content from the desktop, profiles it, and uses the data to drive its GPU architectures.

On the topic of why Apple designs its own custom silicon, Shimpi said the company wants to make sure it can deliver "whatever vision" it has for a given product, while Schiller says that Apple keeps pushing for more performance not because Apple is competing with other companies, but because employees are passionate about making things better for users.
    Apple's success with creating high-powered chips can be attributed to the way teams inside of Apple work together on an ongoing basis, says Schiller.

Schiller and Shimpi declined to talk about Apple's future plans for its custom chips, but there have been multiple rumors suggesting Apple will eventually transition its chips from mobile devices to the Mac, with the change to happen as soon as 2020.

Ars Technica has a much deeper look at the A12X that you're going to want to read in full over at the site if you're at all interested in chip architecture and Apple's future chip plans.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller and Anand Shimpi Provide Insight Into A12X Chip in New iPad Pro Models

2. thinkthis macrumors newbie

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not gonna let all this “only 4gb of ram” talk rain on my iPad parade lol..

I’ve been using an air with 1gb of ram every day for 5 years...this iPad is a beast of a device.

iOS can only get better and more efficient in ram management.

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

It is really trippy to hear Anand talk about these chips possessively, instead of as a third party objective journalist. I miss his deep dives.

5. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

6. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

Shame it’s hindered by iOS. Imagine if this had OSX on it. If Apple came out with this dual booting operating systems....Microsoft would be running for the hills.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I wonder what he actually does at Apple. He was hired what, a year ago? This is the first time I've heard his name since he was acquired by Apple.

8. Jyby macrumors 6502

I hope Steve Jobs caveat will continue to exist post ARM transition... Incase 20 years from now ARM is not top dog and things swing back into intel court.

"All versions of Mac OS have been compiling on Intel and Power PC for the past 5 releases"... Paraphrasing Steve Jobs announcing the switch to Intel back in the day.

9. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

Only a fool would bet against Apple moving to using these in desktops.

10. Jyby macrumors 6502

iOS is built on top of all the Mac OS technologies. They are almost the same thing...

11. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

Shame this comment is not treated as spam that results in instaban.

iPad is possible because of iOS, not limited by it. The shame is that we have to listen to people repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost this same tired nonsense that has not an ounce of truth in it.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't think that you need a professional grade machine. Some people have 16gb of RAM, and find that it's not enough. For us, 4gb might as well as be 1gb.

13. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Yet in the actual desktop computers they sell they still include subpar "GPUs" like the Intel one

14. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

As soon as it becomes practical to do so, there is no doubt that they will. Availability of chips is the number one thing that holds back a Mac refresh. When Apple is designing its own chip for whatever Mac they want to build, it is going to be a good day.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Skimming the article, the two things that have impressed me most so far, aside from the things we already knew about the single core/multicore geekbench scores:

The iPad Pro has a faster memory score than the iMac Pro. Yes, the iMac Pro.

The iPad Pro has 70% of the metal compute score of the 2018 MacBook Pro.

16. iBluetooth macrumors member

The Apple chips are remarkable and I think Apple should sell them to some Android manufacturers as they are 2x - 3x the Qualcomm chips.

17. AngerDanger, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Yes, Phil, it’s called the singularity, and it’s going to KILL US ALL! :mad: Glad you’re so happy about it.

singular.gif

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Apparently he talks to the media once per year about how cool their chips are, lol.

I wonder if he actually works as some sort of a liaison between the chip team and all of the professionals that Apple has hired to talk about and test what kind of hardware they need. Being technical but relatable, he could listen to what professionals need and then talk to the chip team about areas that could be improved to provide a better user experience? This could be especially true with these chips coming to the Mac in the next year or two.

19. iBluetooth macrumors member

iOS doesn't rely on garbage collection like Android doe's and thus, needs much less memory - thumb of rule is 50%.

20. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

There should be no doubt in your minds that there are prototype Macs on 10.15/10.16 alphas within Apple Park running on A12 (and later) ARM-based chips. You can bet on that.

Whether they see the light of day and if it's a 2019 or 2023 thing, is a different story.

21. Freida macrumors 65816

I think you missed his point here. What he meant (I believe) is that iOS doesn't take full advantage of the power and its kinda crippled as iOS was designed for iPhone at the start and it hasn't developed that much for the use in iPad Pros.
    The reason, why people say these comments is because its kinda true. iOS needs to evolve and needs to evolve fast if they really want iPad Pros to be real computers.
    Yes, you can do a lot on an iPad but no, you can't really call it a computer (yet) because of its limitation that is in the iOS.

22. smulji macrumors 6502a

He's been at Apple a lot longer than that.

23. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Then the hardware wouldn't look so amazing anymore.

24. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not calling it a professional machine, I called it an iPad.

There is nothing in my life I need 16gb of ram for thankfully. Like I said, people raining on a parade lol

25. jacmacattack macrumors newbie

My bet is that’s why the Mac Pro is still a year away or more. What better way to start the transition to ARM than a very high end, developer targeted machine with lots of room to show off? The A12x is still very much a mobile chip, but taking AMD’s recent playbook with Threadripper plus Apple’s ARM building blocks, who knows?