Apple's Product Line

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
310
0
Some people claim that Apple's old 4-square product line died with the cube (and that was why it failed). But i propose that they are still on top of things, but that it's now a 8-product matrix:
 

Attachments

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
310
0
I apologize for the sub-standard SW graph, but you get the point. Also I will mention that there IS SPACE for the Apple pro mobile device. I won't say PDA, because I still think they'd rather make something either above or below the 'PDA' realm. Also that it'd be used for admin the Xserve farm more than as an organizer. Think like a web-tablet which is instead a utility-tablet. Just my hunch.

Let the posting begin!
 

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
73
0
Los Angeles
Interesting

A logical assumption you are making. Good layout is based on grid systems, continuity, and symmetry. I hope they fill that final scquare with something phenomenal. Like a g5 based plasma rifle with DDR memory.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Maybe, the missing one in this so called "Square Conpiracy" is some kind of new Apple PDA like the Newton.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by tortus
A logical assumption you are making. Good layout is based on grid systems, continuity, and symmetry. I hope they fill that final scquare with something phenomenal. Like a g5 based plasma rifle with DDR memory.
Hahahahahaha, now Apple is in the weapons buisness? Guess, if your right, Apple will be able to fight off any hostile takeovers by Microsoft.
 

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
287
0
Detroit
Nice Graph very well done. And of course the mobile square in question is the iWalk w/ full transporter technology. :D :D :D :D :D Myself I think the TiBook is the pro an enterprose model.
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
Whilst there's logic in your argument MasterX, what you're suggesting would imply something like an Xbook. Not the most likely of developments, wouldn't you say?
 

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
1,393
0
Sydney, Australia
you called it a 4-square product line which was right but then you called it a 8-product square which is wrong as it is not a square but a group of 8 squares...anyway, back to the point, in your table, you have sub/consumer/pro/corp...what sort of corporate portable can exist? like an "iTablet" couldn't be listed under corp even if it did come out so the whole square thing is logical but your headings are not quite right...
 

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
299
0
Winter Park, FL
XTablet?

Originally posted by britboy
Whilst there's logic in your argument MasterX, what you're suggesting would imply something like an Xbook. Not the most likely of developments, wouldn't you say?
How about a Tablet with InkWell technology, a 5-10GB iPod-sized HD and FireWire. One could administer a number of Xserves by connecting via FireWire which is loacted on the front of the Xserve. I don't know, just another possibuility.

Bill
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Why are the iPod and the eMac in the same column???:confused:

I think trying to read anything into Apple's product line "gaps" is akin to reading Tarot cards:
You're going to get out of it what you want...but that's not really an indications of anything concrete.
 

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
310
0
Sorry I wasy away, I took a 10 mile hike out on the Appilachin trail.

So let's see:
"you called it a 4-square product line which was right but then you called it a 8-product square which is wrong as it is not a square but a group of 8 squares"

When SJ came back to Apple he formed a 4-product square, but it still was missing something, the iBook. After that it was a full system. Then he started augmenting it and people started arguring Apple was loosing focus. I present the 8-product square as the new Apple Products Square. You'll notice soemthing is missing, weather it be an Xserve admin tool (think StarTreck, sad i know) or a PDA. It doesn't have to be more power than a TiBook just to fit in that slot.
---
"i would just like to say the big "?" probably is the customer available eMac."

No, because it's the same product as the eMac under 'sub' 'desktop'. If i wanted to streach it i would put the 14" iBook under consumer and the 12" under sub, but i decided the iPod fit in better.
---
"I hope they fill that final scquare with something phenomenal. Like a g5 based plasma rifle with DDR memory."

That's a little weak, as you recall the existing G4 is faster than light (time to reach your face from screen vs time to complete 1 task) :D
 

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
1,393
0
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
Sorry I wasy away, I took a 10 mile hike out on the Appilachin trail.

So let's see:
"you called it a 4-square product line which was right but then you called it a 8-product square which is wrong as it is not a square but a group of 8 squares"

When SJ came back to Apple he formed a 4-product square, but it still was missing something, the iBook. After that it was a full system. Then he started augmenting it and people started arguring Apple was loosing focus. I present the 8-product square as the new Apple Products Square. You'll notice soemthing is missing, weather it be an Xserve admin tool (think StarTreck, sad i know) or a PDA. It doesn't have to be more power than a TiBook just to fit in that slot.
I meant your grammar was wrogn because you called it a "8-product square" when even though it does have 8 products, it is not a square.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.