macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
too scared

i am still too scared to watch the q results

i like apple hardware
i like their software
i like their packaging

i just don't always agree with how they try to conduct "business" since they know how to make money disappear better than a fleet of old boats or a legion of teenage girls at the sherman oaks galleria near la

and for those of you old enough to remember, that was the inspiration for frank zappa's song "valley girl"

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Networkman, I am very picky however, your previous post is probably the most sensible one i have seen since the good old days of August 2001.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Oh come on, Apple has $6 billion in cash ... what on earth are you worried about? Apple has the biggest margins in the computer industry ... and they maintain those margins by spooking their incredibly loyal customers into thinking its a duty to buy a new machine. The company is fine, smaller market share and all.

This has to be the only company in the world where consumers fret about its stock price and earnings per share. Does anyone other than its investors know BMW's P/E ratio? Does anyone care?

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Is that in general Kela, or just jef.?

If its in general, then yeah. And unfortunately, wild rumors come from this site becoming popular. And the damn zealots.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: zealots

the zealots think that their loyal and elite legion of just a few can keep apple afloat in the dog eat dog world of silicon valley with high profit margins

hey zealots,
think about these two things

1) law of diminishing returns
2) a man named bill gates

so, then why doesn't apple charge 10 grand for the imac?

so, then why doesn't the other 95 percent switch over to macs THIS month?

i hate zealots, too since they are braindead and do more to bring down apple and the image for the mac os to be taken seriously than bill gates times ten

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: re: zealots

...and i speak from experience from having been an apple zealot for 20 years

...then i became a pc tech and realized that the pc's are not that bad even though macs are still better

...and that apple being one company making os x and mac computers has to compete against 2600+ companies in san jose and the silicon valley region and that is a scary thing

even apple's best friend in the business, adobe, makes a ton of software for the pc side

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
zealot is as zealot does

Unfortunately, the Zealots are often the turncoats. Then they're PC zealots. These folks are often trading dogma for faith- and often in more than one part of their lives.

Somewhere between sheep and PCP-crazed Steers lie the zealots. :(

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
I agree with Networkman that Apple is quite the niche player. I won't go so far as to say they can't sustain themselves being that niche player though.

I believe th ekey's to Apple's long term success are:
(1) Maintaining the educational market
(2) Gaining significant market share in consumer desktops
(3) Ignor medium, large, and enterprise companies outside professional design industries (media, design, advertising, marketing, other creative)
(4) Ignor servers other than media server software (quicktime, etc)

If they can achieve these goals, Apple will be around becuase it will be the preffered family computer (simple, easy to use, astheticly pleasing, what the kids use at school, etc) and they will not have spent precious dollars (just becuase you have lots of cash doens't mean you should waste one cent) on the corporate market with significant barriers to entry.

I think the world could co-exist with Macs at home an PCs at the office (especially if those PCs are running Linux, a far more stable, secure, and faster OS than Windows).