Apple's Ridiculous Claims? I'm Curious to your story.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VirtualWaffle, Jul 7, 2010.

1. VirtualWaffle macrumors newbie

VirtualWaffle

So It's no news that Apple has great products. But are they really as world-changing as the advertisements try to make us believe? I think not. I like them but my opinion is that they make some pretty exaggerated claims. What do you think?

Really Apple? Magical? And yes $500 is unbelievable. It costs $7 for a 3G chip.
    I'm glad they didn't Opt out the keyboard from iPhone 4.
    JUST 249! That's Nothing!
    I'm very impressed that your display is capable of displaying more than one language at one time! Leave it to the Geniuses at apple to "Magically" add multilingual support! I didn't think the pixels could handle that!
    Wow Apple! I didn't know that I would be purchasing an iPad with this!

Attached Files:

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

They do indeed make good products. But they are also undisputed masters of marketing and business schemes, which is precisely why Apple has such a dedicated fan base, whether it be in Macs, iDevices, or both.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Like every other company out there, Apple plays up the features they want to and trys to make them sounds larger than life. But I don't see any false advertising. Seems like good marketing to me and two million customers a month agree. Not sure of your point though.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And he doesn’t even know where iPhone trolls live.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Shhhh... don't give him ideas.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Or summarized in one word: puffery. Nothing wrong with that.

Why not? Wouldn't want him to attract other trolls over here.

It's like cockroaches in apartments. There's always cockroaches, but you can minimize cockroaches in your own apartment by eliminating any attractive nuisances.

8. Shyfty macrumors member

Just to play Devil's Advocate... I think their marketing department went a little overboard with the iPad commercial, outright describing it as "beautiful" and "magical".

Oh, and "crazy powerful". The whole commercial smacked of a brainwashing campaign.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you were brainwashed by that commercial . . . Never mind. I'd rather not say anything insulting. ;) :p

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

And yet... They still sell about 2 million of them a month...

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

They are going to charge as much as they can that you are willing to pay. I guess it worked. You did buy an iPad

12. Shyfty macrumors member

Oh, I don't doubt there were people out there who rushed out after seeing the commercial.

"iPad is beautiful. iPad is beautiful. iPad is beautiful. MAGICAL..."

13. VirtualWaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

VirtualWaffle

It costs ~$180 to make an iphone and ~$260 for an ipad. Then when you use it for a while you want to scream just typing a simple greeting. When I didn't feel the magic, I bought a blackberry. ~60 words a minute. Its nice. And one of my relatives was told $900 was needed to fix a harddrive casing. They cost about 100 depending on the storage and they told her that it might not even be fixable. she sent it to a local expert and charged 60 for a SOFTWARE issue! The casing was fine!

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

...and I don't mind paying the extra $239 for the R&D, shipping costs, storage costs, and patent/codec licensing Apple has to pay for the iPad.

Look at the iPad's competition. Where is it just now? I guess you didn't type your post from a JooJoo or WePad then.

I got my iPad after 3 stages:

1) Watched the keynote, was kind of impressed, but not fully sold on it.
    2) A director brought one back from the US after launch, I felt it, used it a little and liked it a lot more.
    3) Went on holiday to New York, used several at Apple Stores and Best Buys and was sold on it.

On the launch day in the UK, I queued up and have used it easily for >4 hours a day since.

One thing I love about it is the fact it just WONT GET HOT! My Dell Mini 9 could never stay as cool as the iPad.

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

16. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

Clearly their marketing campaigns/strategies are exactly as their products are supposed to be... "They just work"

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I think we've all been trained not to believe what an ad claims about a product. Of course the claims are outrageous. I also don't think that if I start using Axe hair products, I'll attract lots of thin women in their early 20s.

The only claims that bother me about computers generally are those to do with battery life.