Apple's Safari browser third in browser market share for Ju...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And in related news, MSIE just cannot possibly lose market share too fast. Let Firefox make it burn, baby, burn! :D And just wait until Deer Park is finalized! :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Wow. 1.93%! :rolleyes:

I suppose it's a start, though. FWIW, Nokia's going to be using Safari as the new browser on upcoming phones, so we might see that percentage leap to 1.94%.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Impressive. Nearly 2% share from a program that only runs on Macs (around a 5% market share, I think.) Considering that Mac users also use Firefox, Opera and others, this is a very impressive figure.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
They may be small gains, but gains are still gains.
As Firefox approaches the 10% market-share milestone, it's expected to gain "significant traction" once its acceptance grows among corporations, according to NetApplications.com
And this should help with Firefox's growth. I know that my mum's work's IT guys start using Firefox immediately. Even though I have been telling her for about a year... :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder if there's any good information on the number of corporate applications that still require client-side ActiveX.... Mozilla has been doing some great marketing, but they really should do something à la Apple's switch campaign, not for consumers, but for corporate IT success stories.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I seem to recall Safari passing Netscape as #3 months ago actually. But even so it's an even bigger #3 now, and that's something many companies would be GLAD to have.

It's also good for companies building/testing their sites for more than just IE. So 2% is insignificant? Tell that to the business whose site turns away 1 in 50 customers.

(Disclaimer: to this day I have yet to see a site that locks out Safari users. I am sure the mythical beast exists, but happily not where I go :) )

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
mainstreetmark said:
"America Online Inc.'s Netscape"

...*shiver*...

Mosaic->Netscape->AOL Netscape->Garbage.
Correction: Mosaic->Netscape->Garbage->(warp the universe)->Mozilla with Netscape's name slapped on for show.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
macidiot said:
Does IE even run on Tiger? I pretty much stopped using it around Jaguar.
Yeah, it still works. It's still handy for twiddling the handlers for media types.

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
It should be noted too

That Safari is significantly faster now. I have been using a build of web core (the one that passed the acid test) off and on and usually the compiled web core was much faster, but as of this last update Safari is running faster than even web core and much faster than FireFox. Even when compared to my windows box. Which has a P4 3.Ghz. I don't think it is faster than the PC yet but my 1Ghz Al Book is screaming compared to Safari of the Jag and Panther days.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
nagromme said:
(Disclaimer: to this day I have yet to see a site that locks out Safari users. I am sure the mythical beast exists, but happily not where I go :) )
Launch.

Anyway, I've seen using Safari since the public beta, and couldn't be happier :)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I find it interesting that my server logs for my work site which is a fairly large site with 200+ pages and about 6,000-12,000 vistors a month depending on the season show the same thing
IE is about 88% most of the time and Fire Fox at 5-6%

Dm84

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Allston, MA
nagromme said:
Parts of AOL's website that are only for paid AOL members (such as Member Directory) require Mac users to use Firefox. Using any other browser there gives an error message. They even block out Camino. Thankfully they support Safari for the AOL Mail site.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
shamino said:
Impressive. Nearly 2% share from a program that only runs on Macs (around a 5% market share, I think.) Considering that Mac users also use Firefox, Opera and others, this is a very impressive figure.
Read this another way.

If Safari has a 2% market share on a platform that has a 5% market share then......
Safari is only used by 40% of Mac users.....

That's a pathetic showing for an equally pathetic browser.

Edit: HAD A typo should have read 2% instead of 25

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
~loserman~ said:
Read this another way.

If Safari has a 25 market share on a platform that has a 5% market share then......
Only about half of Macs are running OS X so far, which suggests that the overwhelming majority of OS X users are also using Safari.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
~loserman~ said:
If Safari has a 25 market share on a platform that has a 5% market share then......
I think I get your point, but there's something pretty wrong with your math. ;) :eek: :D

At any rate, I don't think Safari is pathetic. There are just a lot of good options for Mac, even moreso than in Windows, and unlike Windows users, many Mac users are aware of that....

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
mkrishnan said:
I think I get your point, but there's something pretty wrong with your math. ;) :eek: :D

At any rate, I don't think Safari is pathetic. There are just a lot of good options for Mac, even moreso than in Windows, and unlike Windows users, many Mac users are aware of that....
Math was fine... typing was bad...

Thanks for pointing it out.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
mkrishnan said:
At any rate, I don't think Safari is pathetic.
For one thing, it's the only browser where the Java support is good enough for playing games with. (I know of several game sites that work with Safari but fail or run too slow with Firefox.)
mkrishnan said:
There are just a lot of good options for Mac, even moreso than in Windows, and unlike Windows users, many Mac users are aware of that....
Also that a lot of the browsers available for Windows are all UI-wrappers around the IE system widget. So they all report as IE to web servers. I once did a search for alternative browsers on Windows and it shocked me to find dozens products claiming to be browsers that are actually little more than skins for IE. (Aside from IE, Windows users can choose Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox, Opera, and I think that's about it.)

On the Mac front, there is a wider selection (Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox/Camino, Opera, iCab, Omni, Shiira, and others) of browsers that are not simply wrappers around WebKit.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Anytime MS loses marketshare...

Anytime MS loses marketshare, I cheer. I use Camino, Safari, Netscape but shy away from Firefox and never use IE. Firefox is too PC for my taste. I just wish the general public and corporations would start switching to alternatives faster.