Apple's Touch ID is really genius

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I've been reading some early reviews/impressions of the HTC One Max, and the fingerprint scanner has not been a selling point. Device is too large, awkward position right below the camera and while it allows you to use it as an app launcher you can only use that feature on the lock screen. Two of the reviews I read turned off the functionality, with one comparing it to the Motorola Atrix.

[​IMG]

This is where I think Apple was genius with Touch ID in placing it on the home button. Unlocking the phone is easy and natural. No swiping required, just rest your finger on the home button and boom, unlocked. Genius.

One story I read claimed that HTC had a version of the One Max without the fingerprint scanner ready to go. So it makes me wonder if they rushed the implementation after Apple announced the 5S. Which would be a shame because I think this is very cool technology but poor implementation could swear people off of it.

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I think you might be right.

Every time you read about Apple coming out with a new feature are device, it is something they have been testing prototypes of for sometimes 2-3 years. They really do research about the best way to implement a feature. While it seems sometimes that other companies just hang a feature onto the product just to say it is there.

3. Fission macrumors regular

This is why I buy apple products...Apple is like a BMW or Mercedes.

4. Rich74 macrumors regular

5. syd430, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013

syd430 Guest

Yeah anyone that buys a Beemer or a merc is an idiot! They could of got the same thing by buying a Toyota. /s

(The above is sarcasm, hence the "/s" tag. Please stop replying to tell me that BMW > Toyota)

6. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I have 3 Toyotas, love 'em all... ;)

7. cynics macrumors G3

As a Toyota owner I disagree. You can get the same thing like 4 seats and a steering wheel plus navigation etc. However the level of implantation and quality isn't there.

I'd compare it a lot to Apple. There is a premium price for less product (smaller screen, smaller battery, no NFC, etc) but it's a quality product. There really shouldn't be people out there that can justify an iPhone but be baffled by someone buying a Mercedes.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

That's because no one owns a German car in Australia because of the import taxes

----------

I have driven BMWs for 20 years and the only one that gave me trouble was a blown light bulb

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I will admit, you are lucky. Bimmers are legendary for being shoddily built with expensive damn parts.

10. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Poor implementation just about sums up the entire Android / Windows 8 phone experience.... After using several of those devices I would never buy one for myself even though I am dying for a larger screen.

11. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

I think that it's a genuine issue that some companies will rush out a half-assed implementation in response to the iPhone 5s, and cause a widespread compromise of fingerprints for millions of users.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Apple doesn't usually rush hardware to market, so it is fluid when released.

Software is a different matter, but they know they can patch software over time. You can't do that with hardware.

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

And why put it on the bottom of the device? I have my iPhone lying on a table or on my desk most of the time. With touch id you don't have to pick up your device to unlock it. And since you can wake from sleep and unlock using the home button it really doesn't feel like an extra step. Plus having the fp scanner on the back of the device I'd be more worried about it getting damaged. Poor implementation makes me wonder if HTC wasn't sure whether they would use it or not and only decided to pull the trigger after the 5S came out.

14. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Did you ever actually take it out of the garage? :D

15. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Usually on this board, I see pro Apple threads derailed by Android lovers.

Its a first ive been a Apple thread derailed by car lovers :p

16. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Yeah it's great! I hope the future iPads have a fingerprint scanner. Otherwise you will be so used to holding your thumb on the home button and it will not respond. Lol. I really enjoy the fingerprint scanner... Nice invention for the home button indeed.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Myself I would be not so quick to pronounce Apple genius, but am perplexed at HTC scanner on the rear, WHY?

But no one here, I hope, should be surprised the competitions throw out half-baked "features."

18. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You might actually try driving something else. A Toyota is like an appliance.

You want to drive something FUN? Drive a Porsche, or even some VW's or Audi's.

A Toyota is NOT fun to drive. It's like a big mac: it'll sustain you, but it doesn't taste especially good.

And yes, the touch id IS genius: I absolutely love it.

19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

20. springsup, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

That's because these companies are run by their marketing departments. Marketing wants to have a slide that says:

So they just jam it in there anyold-how.

Apple have a great marketing department, and I'm sure they have some input, but their products aren't dictated by marketing requirements.

As usual, SJ had it right (talking about Apple's decline when he was fired):

and again:

21. N e e k macrumors 6502

Apple's Touch ID is really genius

Some people don't buy a BMW for 4 seats and navigation. People buy it for quality, the experience, the thrill behind the wheel. All Toyotas besides the Supra won't have the driving experience of say... an M3. Tightness, interior quality, power, it doesn't even compare. If you're not a car nut that's tine, but don't say people who buy BMW's and Mercedes are idiots. For some people it's not just getting from A to B, it's the driving experience; the feel behind it.

22. syd430 Guest

I actually own several BMW's, my post was intended as sarcasm, hence the "/s" at the end of the sentence.

23. N e e k macrumors 6502

Wasn't even paying attention. My bad.