Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_chassis-250x140.jpg
Following a previous report claiming Apple's much-rumored 12" ultra-slim notebook is planned to arrive in silver, gold, and space gray color options, Jack March has issued a follow-up report sharing additional details on the machine.

According to March's report, which MacRumors believes to be based on legitimate information, the new notebook has a much thinner design that appears to sacrifice many of the usual ports seen on Apple's current notebooks and may adopt the new reversible USB Type C connector that has seen its specifications recently finalized.
A source familiar with Apple's plans describes the 12 inch Macbook Air as having a noticeably thinner design, the source wouldn't give dimensions however noted that the thinner design may sacrifice the standard USB port and Apple will move to the reversible USB Type C with this product, It is assumed Apple will include an adapter in the box for backwards compatibility.
Interestingly, the report raises some questions about charging on the notebook, indicating that the usual MagSafe port has been removed in favor of a new, unspecified charging method.

In line with previous rumors, the machine is reportedly fanless, suggesting it will adopt an ultra low-power processor such as the Broadwell-Y Core M processors recently announced by Intel. The body of the new notebook is also said to be narrower than the current MacBook Air, with narrower display bezels and a keyboard stretching right to the edges of the machine. Finally, the speakers are said to be located above the keyboard with visible grilles, unlike the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro that have their speakers located underneath the keyboard.

Apple's 12-inch notebook has been rumored for some time, with the launch perhaps being pushed back due to multiple delays for Intel's Broadwell chips. March's previous report indicated Apple appears to be currently looking toward a mid-2015 launch.

(Image: Chassis of current MacBook Air)

Article Link: Apple's Ultra-Slim 12-Inch Notebook Rumored to Gain USB Type C and Fanless Internals

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Calling it now, this will be a major hit. A retina screen in a very portable form factor... *drools*

With the A8 chip bridging the gap between our modern computer CPU's even closer, I am wondering when Apple will make the shift to the ARM platform. By doing so they won't be bound to Intel's schedule and it'll be possible to implement such things like TouchID even.

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
So they will really go with the "M" models. I guess it makes sense, since the 13" rMBP fulfills those that need more power and both 13" models were overlapping a bit.

But I really can't wait for ARM.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I still think this is the iPad Pro, but the leaks keep mistaking it for a laptop. I can't see a 3rd notebook line, nor do I see the MacBook Air going away....

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
USB Type C cable to Lightning will be annoying.

Being a similar connector on each end.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Stop this thinness madness...

We need performance and battery life....not a credit card thin laptop/smartphone/tablet...

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is interesting, so we do not expect a bigger iPad pro or something nut a much smaller air?
And will it run OS X, iOS or a hybrid?

it will be interesting to see what it might end up with

But wil not shift away from my 15" rMBP

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north

Glad it isn't ARM.

Switching to Intel was one of the boldest and best component decisions Apple ever made. I seriously hope they will stay committed to the Intel platform – at least until the day when everything is browser/cloud based (if that happens).

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I still think this is the iPad Pro, but the leaks keep mistaking it for a laptop. I can't see a 3rd notebook line, nor do I see the MacBook Air going away....

I agree with this, perhaps it's a iPad that is meant to compete with the MS Surface tablet market.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

an iPad with USB? I don't believe it, not even for a "pro" model.

Mattaaron09

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014

I think the thinking is that this is the new MacBook Air. Not a new line of laptops.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
If this macbook is even thinner than the current Air, I'm guessing it won't have Retina resolution which will be reserved for a slightly thicker model that sits between the current Air and Retina in size. Just speculation of course, but a Retina screen this thin can't have good battery life without some gamechanging new battery tech, can it?

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I think this is going to be touch-screen. OSX has been going the 'touch-friendly' direction since Mavericks.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Probably will just charge via USB :D
It is highly possible that this will be the way they will go. But then again, Magsafe is very nice...

But just release the thing already Apple. I reaaaally want one, and I am not going to get the rev A model!

I think this is going to be touch-screen. OSX has been going the 'touch-friendly' direction since Mavericks.
Highly unlikely.

vncha

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014

Like, where do you even come up with this? What touch-friendly direction? I don't even understand why some people think this.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
How is the performance for those ultra low power Intel chips then? Is it as good or better than what's in the current MBA, or could it even eventually end up in a MacBook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.