Apple's USD - EUR calculations - next Mini more expensive in europe?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Poki, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

I just took a closer look at the new options on the Retina MBP (namely the faster CPU speeds on the cheaper model) and they keep their strange USD - euro calculations.

According to Yahoo! finances, 100 USD are about 80€, so if you include tax, this would equal to 96 euro in Austria (which has quite high tax among europe). So why do they charge 100 dollar in the United States and 120€ in europe for this upgrade? (And this trend continues to everything introduced since then)

So why do they do this? Does Apple expect the euro to fall by that much? And how much will it affect the Mini? I guess about 50€, according to the MBA prices.

2. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

also you are neglecting that here in the usa most of us pay a state sales tax 6 to 11 percent.

so 106 usd to 111 usd vs 120 euro. still unfair but not as bad as it seemed at first.

4. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

The interesting part here is there are no special import taxes for computer in Austria, but there are some pretty hefty ones in Germany, but the prices are actually the same. I guess they just calculate for the bigger market and then take the same prizes for the smaller ones - otherwise most german people would just order from us, I'd guess.

5. wabbit42 macrumors regular

Everything costs more in Europe than America.

6. Poki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poki

Yep, but in most cases it's a 1:1 conversion (ie 100 USD = 100 EUR). Apples conversion currently simply doesn't feel fair.