Apple's web apps directory gone as of June 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swingerofbirch, Jul 11, 2013.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Thought I would post this milestone. I expected this for a while.

Apple's directory for web apps (formerly apple.com/webapps), which were originally the much-touted app development method for the iPhone, is gone. When the iPhone came out, Steve Jobs promoted web apps as the perfect way to develop iPhone apps with a native-feel.

The directory never became optimized for mobile devices (and more so than other desktop sites was particularly unwieldy on an iPhone) and ceased to be updated by December 2010. It looks to me like it was pulled off the Web in June 2013.

When I worked for Apple's online store, I would take live chats, and one of the most frequent questions I got was how to get applications for the iPhone (this was before the SDK was released). I would send that link out quite often to disappointed customers.

It's clear Apple has now officially given up a dual approach to app development (web and native), if it ever had one.

2. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

Apple.com/webapps still redirects to the iPhone page. The index.html link provided before now goes to a broken link page.

Apple has killed its web apps directory.