Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Anybody know how to do timed events with AppleScript? As far as my knowledge of AppleScript goes (I think it's pretty good, anyway), the closest thing you can do is an on/end idle loop with a "delay 15" line or whatever, and then just check for a condition, like a certain time or date.

Is there actually a way to register an event that should happen at a certain time on a certain date with AppleScript?

Any help would be much appreciated.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Hey, I can't help you with your problem but I had a question of my own regarding AppleScript and you're the first person I've seen around even mention it. I recently started toying with it and I'm intrigued to learn more as I think it's really cool and seems it can be pretty powerful now that you can ad Aqua interface components to run as little applications. Double cool. Anyway, I was just curious if there was any real-world benefits of mastering AppleScript. I mean as far as employment? I've never seen a help wanted ad for an AppleScript programmer or anything. Are there jobs out there for AppleScripters? I think it would be a great gig, just I can't think of any real use for it outside of my own machine. Thanks for any info.

P.S. I recently saw abasic script that had a sort of timer on it that waited say, 10 seconds for a button press or it just pressed on it's own. I'm pretty sure it was based just on seconds though and not the system date and time.

simX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by tjwett
Hey, I can't help you with your problem but I had a question of my own regarding AppleScript and you're the first person I've seen around even mention it. I recently started toying with it and I'm intrigued to learn more as I think it's really cool and seems it can be pretty powerful now that you can ad Aqua interface components to run as little applications. Double cool. Anyway, I was just curious if there was any real-world benefits of mastering AppleScript. I mean as far as employment? I've never seen a help wanted ad for an AppleScript programmer or anything. Are there jobs out there for AppleScripters? I think it would be a great gig, just I can't think of any real use for it outside of my own machine. Thanks for any info.

P.S. I recently saw abasic script that had a sort of timer on it that waited say, 10 seconds for a button press or it just pressed on it's own. I'm pretty sure it was based just on seconds though and not the system date and time.

Knowing solely AppleScript, you probably won't get any employers knocking on your door offering you employment. But knowing AppleScript is a great benefit (even if employers never really care), because you can automate your workflow across many different applications, which is one of the greatest benefits of AppleScript. It can make those mundane tasks a walk in the park.

Combined with UI scripting, you can pretty much do anything with AppleScript, so it's definitely worth knowing.

I doubt many employers will be looking specifically for AppleScript knowledge, though. Don't quote me on that, however!

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
thanks for the reply. i'm currently learning FileMaker Pro along with AppleScript which will add some functionality. i've already began brainstorming for some ideas where AppleScript automation will help in my workflow (music and video production). i'm really psyched to get going, it's a fun language to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.