Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Is it possible to adjust cache settings, or to download purchased iTunes content to the AppleTV?

I'd love if my kids were not consuming bandwidth to rewatch Trolls/Tangled/Moana over and over and over.

I bought the 64GB AppleTV 4K.

I'd use Infuse or Plex but they can't authenticate the iTunes DRM. :/

Thanks!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Would downloading the movies to an iPad and using Airplay to ATV work?
Using Videos app on iOS it would work exactly alike.
iOS however, can not act as Home Sharing server. You’d need to AirPlay from the iOS device.
Usually available storage on an iOS device is also more limited than on computer.
I personally also avoid using relatively expensive flash storage for something as static as movie library.
But this decision will heavily depend on actual usecase.

Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Would downloading the movies to an iPad and using Airplay to ATV work?

It does! That's why I bought the 256GB iPhone X - I keep my entire surfing vlogs, favourite films EVERYTHING on my iPhone and AirPlay to Apple TVs :)
Works great.
Havn't tried it yet BUT The latest Apple TV tvOS 12 instruction manual says that YOU CAN NOW home share from an iOS device!!!!! I was shocked when I read that! Page 166. This MAY be a printing error but worth checking!

Reactions: Audit13

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Havn't tried it yet BUT The latest Apple TV tvOS 12 instruction manual says that YOU CAN NOW home share from an iOS device!!!!! I was shocked when I read that! Page 166. This MAY be a printing error but worth checking!
Please try it out and let us know!
For me, when I say Home Sharing server, then I mean that you can connect to it and browse from aTV Computers app.
When I say AirPlay, then you'd browse on your handheld device and beam your movie to aTV from there.
I have not yet noticed that my iOS media (unless in iCloud) would be browseable from aTV UI.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Please try it out and let us know!
For me, when I say Home Sharing server, then I mean that you can connect to it and browse from aTV Computers app.
When I say AirPlay, then you'd browse on your handheld device and beam your movie to aTV from there.
I have not yet noticed that my iOS media (unless in iCloud) would be browseable from aTV UI.

I'm on location for the next seven weeks buddy - no Apple TV for that time.
I've ALWAYS had problems with HomeSharing playing Apple DRM iTunes films in 1080p HD from my Macs. Some play OK others play then after 20 mins or so they freeze, buffer, stutter.

For me, Apple HomeSharing has been a 'bag of hurt' from day one 5 years ago. It just does not work reliably. It's bloody awful in real world use. You just never know if its going to stutter, freeze etc.

It's an Apple thing that simply 'does not work'.

It's not fit for purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.