Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
Domain Name: APPLEUNIVERSAL.COM
Registrar: BULKREGISTER.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.bulkregister.com
Referral URL: http://www.bulkregister.com
Name Server: NSERVER2.APPLE.COM
Name Server: NSERVER.APPLE.COM
Updated Date: 11-apr-2003
Creation Date: 11-apr-2003
Expiration Date: 11-apr-2004

I think it smells fishy, but what about you guys?

the registrar is networksolutions for everything else that i can find that is part of apple.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Re: AppleUniversal.com registry a hoax?

Originally posted by timbloom
I think it smells fishy, but what about you guys?

i don't know for sure, but isn't it pretty common nowadays for big businesses to gobble up all of the similarly named site names?

back when the internet was still not quite mainstream, people were registering domain names like mcdonalds.com and trying to force the company into paying big bucks to get them.

maybe apple wants to get this domain name just in case, so no one else can snatch it up first.

Comment

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
good possibility, but the fact it was registered through a different registrar than all the other sites really tips it off.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I know I know, it's coming from MOSR, but.....

Much attention has been focused recently on Apple's music download service plans, and a possible buyout of Vivendi's Universal Music division. Although Apple is indeed in talks with Vivendi about the possible acquisition, and the company has even registered a new domain for that purpose (appleuniversal.com) , there are serious concerns about whether the purchase would be a sound financial decision (Apple is presently very hard at work crunching the numbers with the help of Merrill Lynch and others) -- and there is, of course, the legal consideration of Apple's settlement with Apple Music, a UK company that handles the catalog of the Beatles.

Take it for what it's worth.

Comment

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
My current thought is that somebody either is cybersquatting or else just trying to set a hoax.

Comment

BrittasMac

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2003
CA, USA
Running a whois at Network Soulutions comes up with this listing:

Apple Computer, Inc
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US

Domain Name: APPLEUNIVERSAL.COM

Administrative Contact:
NOC Apple Apple-NOC@APPLE.COM
Apple Computer, Inc.
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US
Phone: 4089961010
Fax:
Technical Contact:
NOC Apple Apple-NOC@APPLE.COM
Apple Computer, Inc.
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US
Phone: 4089961010
Fax:

Record updated on 2003-04-11 17:26:29
Record created on 2003-04-11
Record expires on 2004-04-11
Database last updated on 2003-04-14 19:10:42 EST

Domain servers in listed order:

NSERVER.APPLE.COM 17.254.0.50
NSERVER2.APPLE.COM 17.254.0.59

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by BrittasMac
Running a whois at Network Soulutions comes up with this listing:

So, it's easy enough to register domains using fake information. Especially when the information is well known, like Apple's info is.

So this could be real or it might not be. *shrug* We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I saw that...

I say hoax/squatter.

arn

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ah, god has spoken, the rumor is false.
:p ;)

well - it's just my opinion... and Apple's domain name servers aren't responding to it

arn

Comment

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
usually when apple registers a new domain name, doesn't it usually point it back to apple.com?

i can't think of the specific address, but there was one recently (well, in the last few months, anyway)...

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by bombensington
obut anyway, i don't understand what makes this appleuniversal.com one a hoax? i'm not too familiar with the whole process of registering a domain name.

To register a domain name, you have to go through a registrar.

AppleUniversal.com was registered through BulkRegister... which is a discount registrar... and as far as I know Apple's never used them before.

Also, the contact name is a generic Apple address, rather than a specific person that it seems to be with the other domains they own.

Finally, you have set specify a Domain Name Server which translates the domain name into an IP address. AppleUniversal lists Apple's domain name servers... The thing is, someone who has control of Apple's domain name servers need to add that domain to the Server so it answers when people try to reach the domain. In this case, those servers are not responding to AppleUniversal. Now, they may have "forgotten" to add it in... or don't want it pointing anywhere... but more likely, someone registered it to look like an Apple registration.

The only "catch" is that I'm not sure how bulkregister works - but they may have an online account to make changes to the account. Because usually, the technical contact can make changes to your domain... so whoever they listed (the @apple.com address) could make changes on this address.

arn

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
If they registered it, it wouldn't make much sense to link it to Apple.com because the deal isn't finalised yet.

Perhaps UMG registered the site... :cool:

Comment

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
If they registered it, it wouldn't make much sense to link it to Apple.com because the deal isn't finalised yet

well i don't think that linking http://www.mammals.org to apple.com makes much sense either...but i'm sure one day we'll all know why it is so.

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Perhaps UMG registered the site... :cool:

if umg registered the site, wouldn't they give their own contact information?

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Now how to pay for the purchase...

AppleCrap Humor Review: Apple to Buy Universal Music
posted on 04-11-2003 by limiter

News has leaked to the media that Apple may buy Universal Music for 5 to 6 billion dollars. Many people think this is a dumb idea because it takes away from R&D money, and could possibly put Apple into debt. Our insider-spy bunny boo-boo says that Apple plans to also buy the other remaining Music companies for "well over" 90 billion dollars. How could this be you ask? The answer is simple: Make a tunnel.

Apple clearly does not have 96 billion dollars. So the question is: who does have 96 billion? In fact who has 96 billion in cash in a vault somewhere? And finally, who has 96 billion in cash, in a vault, and wouldn't notice if someone took it? The answer is Microsoft of course!

A few weeks ago when Steve Jobs slipped in the bathroom and hit his head on the toilet an image just came to him.... the flux capacitor! Then he fell and hit his head again and this image came to him:

Tunnel
tunnel.gif

The plan was simple, but brilliant: Take the money from Microsoft. Not only that but dig a massive tunnel from Apple (with a stop off at Starbucks) to Microsoft, straight into their vault. It is a perfect plan. Microsoft would never know, because no one is actually going to bother counting a couple hundred billion dollars and since the tunnel is underground, there will be no witnesses because Steve Jobs intends to carry the money himself. Luckily our insider-spy bunny boo-boo is, well a bunny, so he's good with dirt or we would have never known about this secret.

So there you have it Apple intends to buy all the record companies in the world, starting with Universal Music. After they cancel Britney Spears' record contract and move her down to the company cafeteria, Apple intends to launch the biggest online music service, all with Microsoft's money.

Rating: Steaming Pile of Crap (5)

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
well i don't think that linking http://www.mammals.org to apple.com makes much sense either...but i'm sure one day we'll all know why it is so.

if umg registered the site, wouldn't they give their own contact information?

mammals.org asside, Apple registering appleuniversal.com and linking it might piss off vivendi and cause them to go elsewhere for a buyer.

On the flip side UMG might not want to link the site because it doesn't want apple to feel like they were going to sell at any price.

Granted, it's probably a hoax but these could be two possible reasons for either side to keep this quiet.

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by arn
well - it's just my opinion... arn

ha! Don't flatter me!

:D
Nah, I don't think apple has the 6-7 BILLION to buy them. Look maybe 3.8 Billion or less and that is it.

I doubt that alot.

Attachments

• picture 7.jpg
    picture 7.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,399
Comment

Qball

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
usually when apple registers a new domain name, doesn't it usually point it back to apple.com?

i can't think of the specific address, but there was one recently (well, in the last few months, anyway)...

1. This won't point back to apple.com because it really means nothing at this point, i.e., Apple doesn't yet own Universal.

2. It costs so little to register a name, if there is even the slightest chance that the deal could happen, you would absolutely want to snatch up the name to avoid unnecessary legal squabbles later.

IMHO, all of this domain name business means nothing right now.

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Qball
1. This won't point back to apple.com because it really means nothing at this point, i.e., Apple doesn't yet own Universal.

2. It costs so little to register a name, if there is even the slightest chance that the deal could happen, you would absolutely want to snatch up the name to avoid unnecessary legal squabbles later.

IMHO, all of this domain name business means nothing right now.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Fake

If it was real, Apple likely wouldnt register for 1 year. Corporations have money, pranksters generally do not.

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I'm sorry, but if a squatter bought this domain, he sure as hell wouldn't put Apple's info. Hoax? Yea, someone fealt like flopping down at least $15 and basically signing the info over to Apple by using their contact info. If Apple doesn't own it, they could say they did and the squatter would have to give it to them because of all the info is Apples. If this is fake, the guy who faked it is a completel and utter moron. I wish the same guy could play a hoax that I owned a mercedes!

Comment

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
thanks kid red. you took the words out of my mouth. QBall is right it just makes business sense to get the name IN CASE. Why would they wait till after the deal was done to buy a name that someone would have figured out by that point wasn't taken??? Think about it.

This tells us nothing except that apple is in talks with vivendi to buy universal... but wait... we already know that.

On a personal note though i do hope that eventually this link will point to apples site.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.