Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Hey all question my Dad's emac came with appleworks is there anyway I can get it off his restore CD to put it on my powerbook? It only has a .pkg file and when I explore it dont see the installer anywhere. Anyone tried to do this before?

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
I this woud violate the EULA form apple for appleworks. it would be against the law unless appleworks has multiple licenses built into its EULA.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
You can't simply get it off the restore cds...and it's also very unlegal. Go buy it, it's inexpensive. Or get Office X for students. 3 user license, $149.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
One Way to do it...

Well, now that you've been warned by all the school morms, and you know your everlasting soul will be damned, here's what you can do:

Download Cocktail. Run it, on interface tab set it to show invisble files. Insert your dad's install CD/DVD. Poke around until you see a folder called images. Inside it, will be a folder of additional apps. Appleworks should be there. This may or may not work in your case.

And to you little naysayers: I did this because I wanted Omni Outliner on my new PB but not other crap like Earthlink or MS Office (which overwrites a trial version over your own if you just install classic support and additional apps after initial restore) on the restore DVD.

If you've never downloaded one MP3 from the net, you might be in the right to comment on the legality of the poster's question. I think he/she is not an ingenué and probably knows it is not allowed to install the app on his PB.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by LimeLite
You can't simply get it off the restore cds...and it's also very unlegal. Go buy it, it's inexpensive. Or get Office X for students. 3 user license, $149.

Wouldn't it be illegal to install it on more than one computer if it came on the restore cd of another computer. I could see it would be legal if this guys emac uninstalled apple works but he did not state that. I think it is a question of how many licenses appleworks comes with.

To me it is the same question as my dad bought a new emac that came with panther cd's, is there some way to install panther on my old ibook with my dads panther disks.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Re: One Way to do it...

Originally posted by Balin64
Well, now that you've been warned by all the school morms, and you know your everlasting soul will be damned, here's what you can do:

Download Cocktail. Run it, on interface tab set it to show invisble files. Insert your dad's install CD/DVD. Poke around until you see a folder called images. Inside it, will be a folder of additional apps. Appleworks should be there. This may or may not work in your case.

And to you little naysayers: I did this because I wanted Omni Outliner on my new PB but not other crap like Earthlink or MS Office (which overwrites a trial version over your own if you just install classic support and additional apps after initial restore) on the restore DVD.

If you've never downloaded one MP3 from the net, you might be in the right to comment on the legality of the poster's question. I think he/she is not an ingenué and probably knows it is not allowed to install the app on his PB.

Things not to do or risk being banned. That is what it says for the rules of the forum, they are here.

Things Not to Do

These aren't instantly bannable - but will get you edited and or warned.

1) Off-topic posts in the non-Community discussion areas. Keep it free of off topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see #4.
2) Warez
3) "Trolling" - this is more of a pattern, and will get you banned... but can be a subjective call. Basically, don't try to pick fights.
4) Anything ongoing actions that require more work for everyone involved. If banning you is easier than dealing with the problems you are causing, you will be banned.

This topic i think is called warez

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
hey sorry all didnt realize it was such a bad thing, my dad doesnt even use appleowkrs thats really why I thought it would be ok to get it, he has office which I dont want cause its microshaft, maybe I should have added this earlier though I guess technically it would prolly still be worng for me to use it even if not on his comp anymore :( thanks anyways all nvm.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Re: Re: One Way to do it...

Originally posted by jonapete2001 [/i/
This topic i think is called warez [/B]

Thanks for telling us what to think. But in all honesty, this is like when my big sister showed me how to cover the tabs on cassette tapes so I could tape music off the radio. The poster asked a question, I answered. What he does with that info is up to him. Now, if I was offering to stuff a copy of Appleworks and give him a download link for it.. you might have a point... You know the kid's getting his text editor anyway: from his dad's CD's or off Poisoned (oops.. did I type that out loud?). AHEM! Kiddo: Stop being Unamerican and go buy your own damn software! Ha ha... too funny.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
What ever, either it is illegal or it is not. Someone has to say something, and i was just pointing out people shouldnt be asking questions like that on a forum.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Since the resounding topic is legality, here is my question (given an idea I got from reading "my dad doesnt even use appleowkrs" (willmg)):

Isn't it legal to have appleworks on as many computers as you want, but only as long as one of those computers is running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.