Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
I designed a small program with Filemaker and have been selling it for Windows for a couple years. I used tarma installer to create the installation program and exeshield to do the copy protection by having the customer send in their registration code. Exeshield also gave me the ability to offer a trial period before the software would quite working.
Question - I have now purchased my first Mac and have designed the same application with mac but I can't find and inexpensive programs to help customize and build a mac installer with custom icon and custom backdrop picture for the install program. I also can't find a program that is fairly inexpensive to copy protect the mac application like exeshield.
Does anyone have any software options for both installer and copy protection? I need these to be fairly inexpensive since I only sell my app for $15 and it is a nitch market where I sell about 1 copy every 6 weeks. It's really a labor of love.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
If you install Apple's developer tools and go to /Developer/Applications/Utilities there should be a program called "Package Maker" to make packages (which should include an installer, you'll need to play with it first), on the copy protection side i'm not sure what you can do. THe developer tools are totally free though.

brewser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I will check out Apples development tools.
Now to find a copy protection program.....

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I haven't seen many software-only copy protection vendors for Macintoshes. PACE is one, for example, but they are probably outside your price range. Still, it might be worth contacting companies like this and asking whether they have any product or pricing plan that suits you, and if not whether they can recommend a simpler product.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
You should look at Installer VISE and eSellerate for a solution. Of course, MindVision (the company making VISE/eSellerate) are rather snobbish towards the low-end of the software market in my past experience.

http://www.mindvision.com

http://www.esellerate.net (created/owned by MindVision)

MindVision's FileStorm might make the most sense, as you really do not need an installer for most Mac software anymore.

Stonahh

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah I am trying to find something too. I am trying to use EasyLicenser but because I'm not a programmer I'm finding it hard.

If you have any luck with Mac Protection Software or know of simple code.

Please get back to me. Cheers!

Peteccc

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
London
This is a pretty old post but just happened to come across it. I think you might find that Wibu has a solution - Wibu.

Anyone who is still following this thread - would be great to hear if you found any other solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.