Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I can no longer open any program without getting an 'Application Launch Failure' message.

Example-
The application "Install Flash player 9 OSX" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "(<BaseInstaller><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_AR><>"

Safari, AIM, and so on all quit as well.

Thank you for your help.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm not familiar with this problem, but a Google search pulled up a number of people who have had this problem, but not a lot of solutions. It seems like most of them had to resort to a complete reinstall of the OS...I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear though. :(

But it may not be necessary to do that, so hold off for the moment and see if anyone else pops in with a better answer. I saw a few suggestions in other threads about reinstalling just the CarbonLib, but no data on whether that was actually possible or if it worked.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I have seen this problem twice before and in both times a fresh reinstall was necessary to solve the problem, as WildCowboy stated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.